Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United ends Tokyo – Seoul route in Oct 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United ends Tokyo – Seoul route in Oct 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
They also cut GUM-CNS at the end of 2015, too.
exactly! I forgot about that one too. are GUM furloughs inevitable?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
This is all about greater/better aircraft utilization which UA feels it can accomplish back on the mainland. I am concerned that with 3 737s moving back to the mainland what that will mean for other routes in and out of GUM. UA has faced stiffer competition from foreign carriers on Guam so I'm afraid that this may continue in the wrong trend for Guam. That said, if Delta decides to pull out of Guam as they downsize in NRT and Asia, in general, I wonder how UA would respond.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by catocony
I seriously doubt if Cathay is going to bail on OneWorld. It would be great from UA's standpoint, but ANA and Singapore would not be happy.
Cathay is partly owned by/partly owns Air China, has a JV with Air New Zealand, and keeps expanding their partnership with LH/OS/LX. AA also just purchased a stake in China Southern, which is kind of a slap in the face to Cathay as they are located right next door.

Cathay could easily be a part of *A with ANA and Singapore there. Asian/Pacific travel is booming right now.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:09 am

Hmm. I just found this out

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...om-march-2017/

https://www.businesstraveller.com/ai...nited-expands/

United will be placing its UA code on Asiana’s OZ236 and OZ235 flights between Seoul and Chicago, while Asiana’s OZ code will be added to 16 of United’s routes from Chicago to domestic destinations, notably Pittsburgh and Boston.

<snip>

Once the codeshare comes into effect later this month, Asiana and United will be codesharing on all flights operated by Asiana to continental US, which includes services to Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Seattle.
While minor, with only ICN-ORD as a main one and still no full JV, this is very recent and may have played a role in cutting UA NRT-ICN? i.e., UA deciding it's better to dump all NRT-ICN on OZ (if NH doesn't start one), offset by UA earning domestic seat revenue from OZ fliers?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Kacee
SFO-ICN is now I believe the second earliest SFO TPAC departure (15 minutes after HND). A little strange that these two UA flights unique to SFO (ICN and HND) are basically not connectable from the east coast, whereas the duplicated destinations (HKG, NRT, PVG, PEK) are.
Originally Posted by warrenw
Right, 10:50 which means for a legal connection you have to arrive by at least 9:55 (55 min connection minimum to INTL right?) which is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to connect from the east coast for.

Maybe United will change it to a 12pm departure similar to their NRT route.
I thought that the early departures to ICN/HND/NRT had to do with aircraft utilization. With HKG/PVG/PEK, the aircraft would park overnight. ICN arrives at 3PM and turns around for a 4.30PM departure.

SFO-NRT/HND are the same with a 1.5h turnaround time.

Not ideal for connections, but UA is also probably too cheap to pay for overnight parking.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
They used to fly from NRT to a lot of major Asian cities. They're down to just this flight, and once it goes away, it's doubtful if UA will fly beyond NRT in the future. UA hasn't replaced most of the discontinued flights out of NRT with non-stop transpacs, thus, the retreat. You can't get to BKK or MNL or several other destinations on UA metal at all.
That makes sense if you completely ignore all of United's SFO TPAC expansion over the last five years, including eight (8) new nonstop longhaul flights.

You're right, UA won't fly any more NRT tags. They are a poor use of resources and a vestige of an era where there was neither the traffic nor appropriate equipment to fly nonstop routes from the USA deeper into Asia. Times have changed.

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Not ideal for connections, but UA is also probably too cheap to pay for overnight parking.
HKG/PVG/PEK face slot availability issues, and their additional flying time vs. NE Asia make scheduling of shorter turns less favorable.

Last edited by EWR764; Apr 6, 2017 at 8:28 am
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DA201
Cathay could easily be a part of *A with ANA and Singapore there. Asian/Pacific travel is booming right now.
Booming? CX just posted its worst financial performance in eight years. While SQ has acknowledged its current business model is not sustainable.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Booming? CX just posted its worst financial performance in eight years. While SQ has acknowledged its current business model is not sustainable.
I do not know about SQ, but CX's loss is mainly due to its investment in oil hedging, which obviously is losing money with today's low oil prices. CX's performance as an airline is still very healthy.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I do not know about SQ, but CX's loss is mainly due to its investment in oil hedging, which obviously is losing money with today's low oil prices. CX's performance as an airline is still very healthy.
The hedging hurt, but it's not accurate to say it's performance is otherwise "very healthy." CX is seeing large hits to revenue and yield, caused in part by heavy competition from Chinese carriers. At the same time, it's burdened by an inefficient cost structure.

Cathay Pacific Seen Reporting Worst Results in 8 Years on Rivals.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by EWR764
That makes sense if you completely ignore all of United's SFO TPAC expansion over the last five years, including eight (8) new nonstop longhaul flights.
I didn't ignore the new TPACs at all. As I clearly wrote, UA has not replaced all of their former flights out of NRT with TPACs, especially from the East Coast. As many have pointed out in this thread, connecting in SFO instead of NRT for a flight to Singapore or or Inchon adds a lot of additional time to an itinerary.

The pullback from NRT has led a lot of East Coast UA passengers to fly outside Star Alliance. This is due to poor connections to ANA or other *A partners, people who just don't like flying ANA due to the cramped seating in coach, etc.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I didn't ignore the new TPACs at all. As I clearly wrote, UA has not replaced all of their former flights out of NRT with TPACs, especially from the East Coast. As many have pointed out in this thread, connecting in SFO instead of NRT for a flight to Singapore or or Inchon adds a lot of additional time to an itinerary.

The pullback from NRT has led a lot of East Coast UA passengers to fly outside Star Alliance. This is due to poor connections to ANA or other *A partners, people who just don't like flying ANA due to the cramped seating in coach, etc.
I guess my issue is with characterizing United's overall Pacific network strategy as a "retreat" (back to the original post I replied to), when that's clearly not the case. Routings to BKK or TPE may not be as convenient for a subset of customers (those who want UAL metal all the way), but I don't think that makes it a "retreat".

Yes, United metal service beyond NRT has been pulled back over the years, but it's been more than replaced both in capacity (easy to do with nonstop overflights of NRT) and frequency.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
not a huge loss since they stopped the 772 service NRT-ICN ... that was always an easy upgrade The 738 is a crappy plane and I'd be happy to take NH when I need to fly via NRT. Unless UA offers a competitive product in this market they will not compete.
iquitos likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
I'd be happy to take NH when I need to fly via NRT.
As previously noted, NH does not fly NRT-ICN.
iquitos likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
I guess my issue is with characterizing United's overall Pacific network strategy as a "retreat" (back to the original post I replied to), when that's clearly not the case. Routings to BKK or TPE may not be as convenient for a subset of customers (those who want UAL metal all the way), but I don't think that makes it a "retreat".

Yes, United metal service beyond NRT has been pulled back over the years, but it's been more than replaced both in capacity (easy to do with nonstop overflights of NRT) and frequency.
UA capacity to ICN will drop by more than 50% -- the downgauge from a 747 + dropping the 737-8 (total 529 seats) to a single 787-9 (252 seats). It is also substantial even if you consider the capacity from the 777-200 + 737-8 (424 seats) that served this market in the past.

I would characterize this as a retreat from the ICN market and still wonder if it is a response to the DL/KE JV.
iquitos likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by east_west
I would characterize this as a retreat from the ICN market and still wonder if it is a response to the DL/KE JV.
If so, it's strategic. SFO-ICN was consistently the easiest TPAC upgrade in the entire UA system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.