Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United ends Tokyo – Seoul route in Oct 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United ends Tokyo – Seoul route in Oct 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by warrenw

Personally I love connecting in NRT and sometimes choose it even if it's more expensive because:
1. Sushi next to gate 33.
2. Much better flight arrival times to the East Coast- you get in early afternoon for EWR, ORD, etc. instead of late at night if you were to transit through SFO.
3. Up until now usually better planes. You can take the 787 to LAX or DEN, 777 other places, although you're still stuck on a 747 going to SFO (for now)
4. Extra PQS.
5. Sushi next to gate 33.
Dont' forget the beer pouring machines in the lounges!
iquitos likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Interesting to hear rumors about Cathay joining *A...imagine that would make a number of folks here happy.
I'm looking forward to this possibility.

Originally Posted by drewguy
Yes! ^
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I seriously doubt if Cathay is going to bail on OneWorld. It would be great from UA's standpoint, but ANA and Singapore would not be happy.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by catocony
I seriously doubt if Cathay is going to bail on OneWorld. It would be great from UA's standpoint, but ANA and Singapore would not be happy.
The link suggests this is more around Cathay and Air China getting cozy and would not be an independent occurrence.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
With all the ploitical tension on the Korean Penninsula this is not a surprise. Sad UA co continues it's retreat across the Pacific.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by drewguy
How could I have left that out?????

The lounge at NRT is definitely quite nice.

Originally Posted by UnitedFFinAsia
With all the ploitical tension on the Korean Penninsula this is not a surprise. Sad UA co continues it's retreat across the Pacific.
Lol I doubt it has anything to do with political tension. I'm sure like others have said in this thread it was a pure business decision. As ICN is my home airport (for now at least until I decide to finally leave) I am simply lamenting that I have far fewer options now.

Also, UA holds the defense contract for SFO-ICN, I'm surprised it's okay with going with a plane with less capacity.
iquitos likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by UnitedFFinAsia
How, exactly, has UA been "retreating" across the Pacific?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
SFO-ICN is now I believe the second earliest SFO TPAC departure (15 minutes after HND). A little strange that these two UA flights unique to SFO (ICN and HND) are basically not connectable from the east coast, whereas the duplicated destinations (HKG, NRT, PVG, PEK) are.
Right, 10:50 which means for a legal connection you have to arrive by at least 9:55 (55 min connection minimum to INTL right?) which is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to connect from the east coast for.

Maybe United will change it to a 12pm departure similar to their NRT route.

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
However, for Asian locations, I love going through NRT. Nicer people, sushi, Udons....

But consider the plus side, even if one chooses to go through NRT, the only loss is the LT miles, and not by a lot. the NRT-SIN/BKK IMO is much bigger deal than NRT-ICN.
I love me some sushi and udon!

I don't care about LT miles, but sometimes adding in the OZ leg makes the price skyrocket. Maybe that will change with the NH JV, and maybe NH will open up an evening flight to ICN from NRT.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by warrenw
Right, 10:50 which means for a legal connection you have to arrive by at least 9:55 (55 min connection minimum to INTL right?) which is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to connect from the east coast for.
Nor the kind of connection time you want when there's only a flight a day and you're traveling for business.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by EWR764
How, exactly, has UA been "retreating" across the Pacific?
They used to fly from NRT to a lot of major Asian cities. They're down to just this flight, and once it goes away, it's doubtful if UA will fly beyond NRT in the future. UA hasn't replaced most of the discontinued flights out of NRT with non-stop transpacs, thus, the retreat. You can't get to BKK or MNL or several other destinations on UA metal at all.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:42 pm

Another thing I just thought of is the NRT-ICN route is a continuation of EWR-ICN, and if you fly EWR-ICN it counts as 1 PQS even though you change planes. That happened to me last year. I doubt that they'll open up an EWR-ICN nonstop though.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:21 am

I'm surprised it lasted this long
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Explorer789
A 738 has to be used for short haul regional route due to range limitations. So, I'm thinking they either move it to another inter-Asia route, use it for HNL connection between US/Asia, or bring it back stateside to another domestic route.
back when SGN was announced as closing from HKG, network planning had stated that a new destination was going to be announced, they were simply waiting for a few final approvals..............but here we are and nothing. I'm guessing it will never come, especially now.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:29 am

with three planes down from GUM, and another route lost for GUM based flight attendants (the other being HKG-Vietnam), how does this affect pilots and flight attendants work in GUM? I've not seen any new service from GUM, but perhaps extra frequencies to existing services like GUM-PVG? OR, with the flight attendant integration in 2018, does it matter?

Down the line, is there a possibility that GUM and NRT flight attendant hubs will consolidate? Just thinking out loud here...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by trust77
with three planes down from GUM, and another route lost for GUM based flight attendants (the other being HKG-Vietnam), how does this affect pilots and flight attendants work in GUM? I've not seen any new service from GUM, but perhaps extra frequencies to existing services like GUM-PVG? OR, with the flight attendant integration in 2018, does it matter?

Down the line, is there a possibility that GUM and NRT flight attendant hubs will consolidate? Just thinking out loud here...
They also cut GUM-CNS at the end of 2015, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.