Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
From UC T&Cs
Sleeping is prohibited in all United Club locations.
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
The Polaris Lounge at ORD and SFO each have four sleeping cubicles (near the restroom at ORD, near the showers at SFO). Feel free to nod off there.

The GFL at LHR has a section with around a half-dozen lie-flattish platform where you can doze too. Not really too private.
Note: Most/All of the Polaris lounges have a sleeping / day bed area
Print Wikipost

Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by prestonh

If you came up and touched me to wake me up from a nap, that could be considered inappropriate conduct. unwanted touching may not be lawful.
I ask an employee to wake the person up. They’ve always said they would.

The Hawaii bank of red eyes into SFO or LAX often get people woken up by employees

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Sep 10, 2022 at 5:36 pm
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I ask an employee to wake the person up. They’ve always said they would.
I am simply perplexed that so much awareness is present for someone to even notice the sleep status of other passengers.
I can understand employees tasked with patrolling duty to seek out passengers who fell asleep. But for another pax to notice this is amazing to me.
Unless I am disturbed or disrupted, I simply wouldn't have a clue what other passengers are or are not doing.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA
Definitely a bit OT, but I saw these threads listed together and accidentally read it as "Is sleeping around allowed at any United {Club} lounges?"
That would be a very different discussion.

narvik and Cissigys like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It is covered by the general conduct clauses - nothing in the T&C about me setting up a couple of Bose speakers and playing loud music.

Just because something is not in a T&C does not make it allowed.
Your analogies are ridiculous. Smoking or playing loud music are bothersome to others (obviously). Me closing my eyes while in a sitting position is not.
If the lounge wants to enforce a no-sleeping rule, so be it. But others should mind their own business.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Rules or not, the best place is the F lounge in ORD. Go to the back corner all the way to the right (if you were looking at the bar or out the windows.) There's a bench there and it is fairly well hidden. I've seen multiple people sack out there, and may have done that a few times coming in off a red eye. Never have an issue at 6 am.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by chavala
Your analogies are ridiculous. Smoking or playing loud music are bothersome to others (obviously). Me closing my eyes while in a sitting position is not.
If the lounge wants to enforce a no-sleeping rule, so be it. But others should mind their own business.
I don't understand how this can bother anybody. I actually do this all the time and not just in a lounge.
SPN Lifer and chavala like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by prestonh
'it' if referred to as sleep or sleeping is not defined in the T&C. The conduct that would get you removed from the club and terminated from ual membership is in ual's determination and is for conduct United determines 'inappropriate'. Considering sleep is allowed on their aircraft and in airports, it would be hard to argue the case that sleeping is inappropriate conduct. .

If you came up and touched me to wake me up from a nap, that could be considered inappropriate conduct. unwanted touching may not be lawful.
"inappropriate conduct", "may not be lawful". I'm sorry, but how silly are we becoming? Unless someone is grabbing a "private part", a tap on a shoulder to awaken someone is not illegal anywhere in the US, not should it be. Honestly!
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by ATLintheair
... a tap on a shoulder to awaken someone is not illegal anywhere in the US, not should it be. Honestly!
Agreed. It should also not be common practice either, though!

UA used to have a strict no-sleeping-in-lounge policy. What we don't know if their removing it from the T&C verbiage is a sign of a more relaxed approach or not.
lsquare and chavala like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
"inappropriate conduct", "may not be lawful". I'm sorry, but how silly are we becoming? Unless someone is grabbing a "private part", a tap on a shoulder to awaken someone is not illegal anywhere in the US, not should it be. Honestly!
Putting aside the legality, as this is not a legal forum, why is there a need to wake up strangers in the first place?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Putting aside the legality, as this is not a legal forum, why is there a need to wake up strangers in the first place?
Really. If I think I'll fall asleep I'll set an alarm. That's what adults do.
If anyone has an urge to actually touch a complete stranger to wake them, please don't. It's creepy.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 3:06 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Could be worse. They could take a page from Sister Mary Kathleen's discipline rules from Junior High and slap you with a ruler!
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 8:24 am

ORD B6 - 16 Sep 2022 @ 9:15 am

Seems to be permitted in Chicago!
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Creativity
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Totally thought I'd find a pic of me at MCO...
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
A friend of mine just flew from ORD - CPH - ZRH after a long drive down from Traverse City and found a place to nap - in the new ORD wing of Terminal 5. He said he caught a good 90 minutes of slumber. I guess there's nothing there yet but a few chair banks, relatively clean carpet. Said it was hard to find a working outlet to charge his phone, though.

New Wing ORD Terminal 5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.