FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1825799-sleeping-allowed-any-united-club-lounges.html)

UAL4life Jan 2, 2013 4:19 am

Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?

Between flights on long layovers at the United Club (just got off a brutal redeye) I like to just close my eyes just for a bit not really sleeping, but with eyes closed- kinda slouching, relaxing. Got yelled at to sit up straight by a United dragon who said I had to be sitting up straight and not sleeping- never had a problem before lol! New Rule? Thoughts?

Reminds me of grade school!

(She kept checking up on me too lol was the most ridiculous thing!)

Red_Rob Jan 2, 2013 4:36 am

Maybe you were snoring loudly?

UAL4life Jan 2, 2013 4:39 am

:) :D Lol! just listening to music and having my eyes closed. Pretty sure if i was sleeping I wouldn't have even heard her command me the first time!

cottonmather0 Jan 2, 2013 4:47 am

I've never heard this before and I'm not sure what the problem would be so long as you're sitting in a chair and not snoring or otherwise disturbing other passengers.

UAL4life Jan 2, 2013 5:11 am

Originally Posted by cottonmather0 (Post 19958107)
I've never heard this before and I'm not sure what the problem would be so long as you're sitting in a chair and not snoring or otherwise disturbing other passengers.

I know right? We were the only ones in the club too, I'm thinking a power tripping bored Agent.

Ctheexpat Jan 2, 2013 5:13 am

Wouldn't this be the straw that breaks the camels back? I frequently take short naps in lounges between flights. I think a "go to hell" would certainly be justified here

edcho Jan 2, 2013 5:29 am

Originally Posted by UAL4life (Post 19958023)
Between flights on long layovers at the United Club (just got off a brutal redeye) I like to just close my eyes just for a bit not really sleeping, but with eyes closed- kinda slouching, relaxing. Got yelled at to sit up straight by a United dragon who said I had to be sitting up straight and not sleeping- never had a problem before lol! New Rule? Thoughts?

Reminds me of grade school!

(She kept checking up on me too lol was the most ridiculous thing!)

Which airport did this happen at?

halls120 Jan 2, 2013 5:30 am

I would have ignored her and gone back to sleep.

tarheelnj Jan 2, 2013 5:47 am

Maybe you were sleeping and it was just a nightmare?

I_Can_Fly_US_Airways Jan 2, 2013 5:56 am

United Clubs...

They continue to lead the way as the Worst of Worst )-:

GimmeLegRoom Jan 2, 2013 6:15 am

Happened to me at IAH PC

About 2002... had a long layover coming in from Rio, and I knew where a comfy couch was. Maybe I didn't know better (low status, didn't have a membership, just had a day pass from my CO Silver membership kit), but I didn't see the harm in laying down for a bit in an empty club. I got shaken awake and was told my feet had to stay on the floor. Subsequent trips thru the same club, I would see families all sacked out on the same sofa, which struck me as unfair.

I see people resting eyes all the time, while sitting/slouching in a chair. Who cares

So, same question as a previous poster - which location?

Mats Jan 2, 2013 6:17 am

Please send an email to United.
I am willing to bet that this was not a regular United Club employee, but someone working for "vacation coverage."

People sleep in United Clubs all the time, especially in designated quiet rooms. There is no rule.

There was once a really loud snorer in the Global First Lounge at SFO, but nobody interfered with him; we just sat elsewhere.

You will be serving all of us as United Club members by sending an email. United needs to know when an employee enforces fictitious rules.

santarosaflyer Jan 2, 2013 6:25 am

Interesting. I was napping at a LH Senator Lounge in Frankfurt when the agent pointed me to a designated sleeping area with a comfortable lounges. As they remodel their Senator lounges they are adding more sleeping areas.

Too bad, UA can't follow suit.

PHLyer82 Jan 2, 2013 6:54 am

Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom (Post 19958402)
About 2002... had a long layover coming in from Rio, and I knew where a comfy couch was. Maybe I didn't know better (low status, didn't have a membership, just had a day pass from my CO Silver membership kit), but I didn't see the harm in laying down for a bit in an empty club. I got shaken awake and was told my feet had to stay on the floor.

That I understand more if your feet were on the couch, but slouching in a chair and closing your eyes should not be regulated.

German Expat Jan 2, 2013 6:56 am

Sounds ridiculous, went to the CX lounge at FRA recently and they went out of their way for a different passenger to prepare a 'bed' for her with some of the chairs. Looked like she stayed overnight though.