Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
From UC T&Cs
Sleeping is prohibited in all United Club locations.
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
The Polaris Lounge at ORD and SFO each have four sleeping cubicles (near the restroom at ORD, near the showers at SFO). Feel free to nod off there.

The GFL at LHR has a section with around a half-dozen lie-flattish platform where you can doze too. Not really too private.
Note: Most/All of the Polaris lounges have a sleeping / day bed area
Print Wikipost

Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Well today no one was being allowed to prop their feet up on anything which is good, but also not to stretch out even slightly. Lounge person (manager? Don't know) was just walking around barking at anyone less than vertical. My wife was asleep beside me on one of those couches near the entrance, upper body leaned over about 45° towards me. Still only taking up one cushion. Manager made me wake her up "we dont allow lying down on the seating" she said.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 4, 2022 at 11:54 am Reason: moved to sleeping thread
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Well today no one was being allowed to prop their feet up on anything which is good, but also not to stretch out even slightly. Lounge person (manager? Don't know) was just walking around barking at anyone less than vertical. My wife was asleep beside me on one of those couches near the entrance, upper body leaned over about 45° towards me. Still only taking up one cushion. Manager made me wake her up "we dont allow lying down on the seating" she said.
Seems a bit extreme, but we definitely had reports like this before, especially from EWR UC, IIRC.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Seems a bit extreme, but we definitely had reports like this before, especially from EWR UC, IIRC.
I agree with the manager’s order. There are some couches with foot rest by the window, no need to put their feet on every single furniture in that club.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by narvik
I inquired with UA customer service, as it seemed rather absurd that simply falling asleep in one's seat is forbidden. As I said, she wasn't lying down in any sense of the word - just within her seat slouched over a bit - plenty of people wide awake slouched or leaning over even more. The person wasn't even totally consistent in taking care of people with feet on the furniture as one guy just across the room was left alone with his shoes up on the opposite seat. UA replied that regardless of seating position, one is not permitted to be asleep in the Club except those with sleeping cubes.

I pointed out that the Club T&Cs forbid lying on the floor or putting feet on the furniture, but make no mention of merely falling asleep in your own seat. Their response to admit that this rule isn't stated in the Club rules/T&Cs, but to still insist you're not allowed to be asleep. So I guess they just get to make up rules as they go along...typical UA staff.

Again, not talking about lying down, stretching out, or anything - simply your body dozing off in your seat. United Clubs must be run by former hall monitors and HOA presidents. Never in my life experienced that with other airline lounges. What a joke.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 11:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I pointed out that the Club T&Cs forbid lying on the floor or putting feet on the furniture, but make no mention of merely falling asleep in your own seat. Their response to admit that this rule isn't stated in the Club rules/T&Cs, but to still insist you're not allowed to be asleep. So I guess they just get to make up rules as they go along...typical UA staff. .....
No Sleeping in the UCs has been in the T&Cs (at least in 2018, maybe later) in the recent past, seems to have changed

Enforcement has always been poor
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 4, 2022 at 11:55 am
Old Sep 4, 2022, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I would have raised hell if a stranger tried to tell me I can't slouch. Someone has nothing better to do to be a hall monitor on people's posture

Separately, if someone is not lying down, not having their feet up, but just happen to have nodded off, not snoozing, it would be incredibly rude to wake the person up.
iluv2fly, SPN Lifer and 84fiero like this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17

Separately, if someone is not lying down, not having their feet up, but just happen to have nodded off, not snoozing, it would be incredibly rude to wake the person up.
I’ve woken people up several times. And it’s usually - hey, wake up - don’t want you to miss your flight. And I’ve always been thanked.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I’ve woken people up several times. And it’s usually - hey, wake up - don’t want you to miss your flight. And I’ve always been thanked.
How do you know they are asleep?
84fiero likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No Sleeping in the UCs has been in the T&Cs (at least in 2018, maybe later) in the recent past, seems to have changed

Enforcement has always been poor
There is no mention of sleep or sleeping in the t&c as currently posted.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
How did you know what flight they would be late for? I have had extended layovers with jetlag and naps and would not take kindly to someone not minding their own business.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 4, 2022 at 7:04 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 4, 2022, 7:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by prestonh
There is no mention of sleep or sleeping in the t&c as currently posted. ....
agree, hence saying
... seems to have changed ....
Old Sep 4, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
I simply pin a note to my shirt saying "I am meditating, not sleeping. Please do not disturb me and mess with my Chi". Works like a charm, especially in West Coast lounges".
Old Sep 4, 2022, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

agree, hence saying
FWIW,

Sleeping prohibition was still there in early 2019 -- http://web.archive.org/web/201901270...ges/rules.html
Seems to have been replaced with laying on floor/feet on furniture prohibition -- United Club Terms and Conditions | United Airlines
SPN Lifer, 84fiero and narvik like this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 2:11 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by xliioper
FWIW,

Sleeping prohibition was still there in early 2019 -- http://web.archive.org/web/201901270...ges/rules.html
Seems to have been replaced with laying on floor/feet on furniture prohibition -- United Club Terms and Conditions | United Airlines
I have been a little shocked at the behavior of a few customers in air and even in the lounges the past few months. July at the IAD Polaris lounge an agent came in politely asking many young people (as in 16-24 yrs old) not to put their legs and feet on chairs or arms of chairs. After the agent passed through most resumed their positions.

I have to say I have fallen asleep in airport lounges but not often and no one bothered me. I definitely have fallen asleep in the lobby of a hotel arriving too early too check in, the Singapore Shangri-La and Westin Tokyo Ebisu specifically come to mind. I was woken by hotel staff both times.

i recently read a French travel blog where somone "figured out" how to invite their traveling companions into the Polaris lounges in the US. Two were in business, they got printed boarding passes and gave one each to friend. They went in first using their electronic boarding passes. 20 minutes later the friends came in with the paper boarding passes. The first two collected the boarding passes, left the lounge and gave them to the two remaining friends who waited a bit and then came in. Apparently this worked at the beginning of the summer with no problem. I think the lounges may need to require ID on the second entry on the same day. I kind of miss the pre-covid days, traveling was more preditacable and more civilized.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by uanj
Apparently this worked at the beginning of the summer with no problem. I think the lounges may need to require ID on the second entry on the same day.
Surprised that worked. I've always had ID checked on entry, IIRC. Presumably for exactly this reason.
Wonder if that French blog you read was being hypothetical as opposed to biographic.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by uanj
I have been a little shocked at the behavior of a few customers in air and even in the lounges the past few months. July at the IAD Polaris lounge an agent came in politely asking many young people (as in 16-24 yrs old) not to put their legs and feet on chairs or arms of chairs. After the agent passed through most resumed their positions.

I have to say I have fallen asleep in airport lounges but not often and no one bothered me. I definitely have fallen asleep in the lobby of a hotel arriving too early too check in, the Singapore Shangri-La and Westin Tokyo Ebisu specifically come to mind. I was woken by hotel staff both times.

i recently read a French travel blog where somone "figured out" how to invite their traveling companions into the Polaris lounges in the US. Two were in business, they got printed boarding passes and gave one each to friend. They went in first using their electronic boarding passes. 20 minutes later the friends came in with the paper boarding passes. The first two collected the boarding passes, left the lounge and gave them to the two remaining friends who waited a bit and then came in. Apparently this worked at the beginning of the summer with no problem. I think the lounges may need to require ID on the second entry on the same day. I kind of miss the pre-covid days, traveling was more preditacable and more civilized.
In my observation the other day, feet on furniture enforcement took place, but wasn't uniformly applied for some reason.

I've inadvertently fallen asleep in a few lounges too (just sitting/slouching in my own seat) and was never bothered. The only exception being some of the more premium non-US carriers where if you put your BP beside you, and fall asleep, they will periodically check and only awaken you if you're still snoozing about an hour before departure. I never use a lounge intending to sleep except those with purpose-made sleeping features (rooms, or special seating, or whatever the case may be). I have to be pretty sleepy to doze off sitting up usually, though as I mentioned it happens occasionally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.