Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions
Print Wikipost

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
CPU eligibility for an off-PNR companion was a pre-merger CO practice. Post-merger it has never been a published policy but some .gate agents will do. For pmCO, it could only be done a few hours prior to departure -- today it is something only gate agents will do, so is effectively limited to an hour or less before departure, Companion will be a the bottom of the elite's status group and this is only done for elite and companion on paid fares. As this is not a published policy, it is up to the GA's discretion.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Hey all, it's been awhile since I've had a companion on my record and want to make sure I have this right:

Flying AAA-IAH-BBB. AAA-IAH seems iffy that we will clear before check-in. IAH-BBB looks to be heavily oversold with F wide open. It's down to F6 but cabin empty and it's a beach destination (for context). Pretty sure when the flight status shows up it will be ~10 or so blocked.

Assuming we clear IAH-BBB at some point between T-96 and T-24, is it best to not check-in right at T-24 and hope the CPU sweep for AAA-IAH happens down to F2 as it normally would on this route?

If I'm understanding correctly, if we do not split the reservation at checkin, we will not be eligible at all for CPU on AAA-IAH? My other thought is if they don't sweep the connecting flight right at T-24 to balance out the oversale (which seems to normally happen), that we will not check-in at all until the morning of and hope the system does it at some point up until closer to departure.

In the ideal scenario, hoping to be cleared on IAH-BBB way before departure and then just need to figure out the best strategy for AAA-IAH.

Hoping I'm on the right track here but any validation would be appreciated
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:35 pm

Follow up to the above, my IAH-BBB cleared so now I'm just wondering about the first leg. If we do not get swept right at T-24, is it best to wait a bit before checking in (to see if the do the sweep down to F2) or should I just check in and split us? Since it's a one-way I don't need to worry about anything affecting a return trip. Companion is no-status FWIW.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Follow up to the above, my IAH-BBB cleared so now I'm just wondering about the first leg. If we do not get swept right at T-24, is it best to wait a bit before checking in (to see if the do the sweep down to F2) or should I just check in and split us? Since it's a one-way I don't need to worry about anything affecting a return trip. Companion is no-status FWIW.
What is your priority? Maximal number of upgrades, or sit in the same cabin?

If the former, check in and split immediately. Otherwise wait until the counter.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by findark
What is your priority? Maximal number of upgrades, or sit in the same cabin?

If the former, check in and split immediately. Otherwise wait until the counter.
Since the connecting segment has cleared, it’s just the initial leg we are waiting on. I was curious since I notice sometimes the sweep does not occur until T-24-T-22.

My my assumption is that I should wait until they clear the flight down to F2 (and hopefully we’ll clear in that sweep) and if not, then check in ASAP to ensure highest position possible on the waitlist. Am I following that correctly?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
My wife and two boys are flying IAH-CUN next month. I am the only one with status (Silver). Based on what I have seen, my chances looks good for a CPU for myself and one companion. I just noticed that the buy up offer is $119 for both routes. I am considering buying up for two of us and then hoping we get the CPU for the other two. The app doesn’t seem to be letting me purchase the upgrade for two of us? It only seems to be giving me an option to purchase all four seats. Am I not allowed to split it up?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joe K.
Am I not allowed to split it up?
You can't split it up during the upgrade process, but you can call UA and split two passengers -- presumably, your wife and one of your boys -- into a separate reservation, at which point you'll likely see the same option there. If you explain what you're trying to do, the agent should be able to take care of it for you quickly.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:51 pm

Does the companion need to be a MileagePlus member as well?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Does the companion need to be a MileagePlus member as well?
No
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:42 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
1K traveling with 2 general members. Would I be able to apply 1 RPU to one companion and wait for a CPU with the other pax? I'm guessing I would need to call in to have them split the PNR?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mr8
1K traveling with 2 general members. Would I be able to apply 1 RPU to one companion and wait for a CPU with the other pax?
Only if you split the PNR, but in that case yes.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
CPU eligibility for an off-PNR companion was a pre-merger CO practice. Post-merger it has never been a published policy but some .gate agents will do. For pmCO, it could only be done a few hours prior to departure -- today it is something only gate agents will do, so is effectively limited to an hour or less before departure, Companion will be a the bottom of the elite's status group and this is only done for elite and companion on paid fares. As this is not a published policy, it is up to the GA's discretion.
Hi, does this work with a GPU? (to International) If I'm traveling with a non-status companion. Can I move them higher on the upgrade list?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by schnitzer
Hi, does this work with a GPU? (to International) If I'm traveling with a non-status companion. Can I move them higher on the upgrade list?
Companions on a common PNR share the status of the elite. Those on there own PNR travel at their individual status and you should not be able to change that.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...solidated.html
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
Companion upgrade on separate PNR

Does anyone have any recent experience with companion upgrades on separate PNR's?

I am 1K traveling on a reward ticket eligible for upgrade with Explorer card. Wife is traveling on same itinerary with a paid G fare. What are the chances of adding her to the upgrade list at the airport?

In the good ol' CO days it wasn't a problem, even for companions on the same flight but a different ultimate destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.