Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions
Print Wikipost

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Just got my first companion UG ever! The wife and I are movin' on up on Saturday ORD-ROC woot woot
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Need some urgent advice on this. I'm flying from SFO to HNL in two days with my SO and two kids. Both my SO and I are 1Ks and my kids have no status. We are on the same itinerary. Currently the first class has booked 21 seats plus 4 blocked seats and the total number of seats is 32. So that leaves 7 seats available 36 hours prior to departure. I never thought we would have a shot at getting an upgrade so I never thought of this.

1. I have many RPUs that I will never be able to use. If I apply four RPUs, would that increase the chance of all of us getting upgraded?
2. At T-24, should I choose to split the itinerary with (1K+GM, and 1K+GM)? Based on some posts, this is doable online.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by naumank
Need some urgent advice on this. I'm flying from SFO to HNL in two days with my SO and two kids. Both my SO and I are 1Ks and my kids have no status. We are on the same itinerary. Currently the first class has booked 21 seats plus 4 blocked seats and the total number of seats is 32. So that leaves 7 seats available 36 hours prior to departure. I never thought we would have a shot at getting an upgrade so I never thought of this.

1. I have many RPUs that I will never be able to use. If I apply four RPUs, would that increase the chance of all of us getting upgraded? ...
Yes, you will be ahead of all non-GS CPU and on par (status, fare, time of request) for all support upgrade request. So ahead of non/lower elites using miles.

... 2. At T-24, should I choose to split the itinerary with (1K+GM, and 1K+GM)? Based on some posts, this is doable online.
It would be better to split into these two groups now -- UA may not release 4 slots all at the same time at this point.

Once you check in, and have not cleared, you will have to split to single person PNRs or forgo the gate waitlist.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...split-pnr.html
Old Dec 24, 2016, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, you will be ahead of all non-GS CPU and on par (status, fare, time of request) for all support upgrade request. So ahead of non/lower elites using miles.

It would be better to split into these two groups now -- UA may not release 4 slots all at the same time at this point.

Once you check in, and have not cleared, you will have to split to single person PNRs or forgo the gate waitlist.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...split-pnr.html
Thanks for the advice. I have split the PNR into two and applied four RPUs.

After reading the "Split or Not to Split" thread, I'm still a bit confused. After T-24, will I lose my chance of getting an upgrade if I don't further split the PNR into single person PNRs?
Old Dec 24, 2016, 1:22 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... After T-24, will I lose my chance of getting an upgrade if I don't further split the PNR into single person PNRs?
If you don't split at check-in, you will not be eligible for upgrade at the gate. There still some chance of clearing based on the pre-gate list but definitively not at the gate.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
...assuming you are not ticketed in M or higher (which for leisure travel you're probably not).
Old Dec 24, 2016, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by findark
...assuming you are not ticketed in M or higher (which for leisure travel you're probably not).
And have no non-1ks/GS companions which the OP reported -- 2 non-status kids.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

1. I have many RPUs that I will never be able to use. If I apply four RPUs, would that increase the chance of all of us getting upgraded?
2. At T-24, should I choose to split the itinerary with (1K+GM, and 1K+GM)? Based on some posts, this is doable online.
Is this your flight UA300 on Monday? seat map is 747, but listed as 772.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fli...&taxng=1&idx=1
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Is this your flight UA300 on Monday? seat map is 747, but listed as 772.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fli...&taxng=1&idx=1
No, we fly on Sunday. It's a 772. Last night, I split the PNR into two (1K+GM and 1K+GM) and applied four RPUs. At T-24, they upgraded three passengers. Now they have 26 booked + 4 blocked with a capacity of 32.

I just did online check in. I paid attention to the option of splitting the PNR into individual ones but didn't see that option. After checking in, the two PNRs were split into four without me opting in. We are now No. 3 - 6 on the visible upgrade list with two seats available - about 7 hours before departure. Sometimes, they open up the blocked ones but who knows.

Questions:

1. Can I refuse the upgrade if I can't get 2 or 4? (The two kids are very young.)
2. Will the two kids still keep 1K status on the inbound flight? I read that they would be treated as GM but get to keep the E+ seats, correct?
Old Dec 25, 2016, 3:33 pm

... I just did online check in. I paid attention to the option of splitting the PNR into individual ones but didn't see that option. After checking in, the two PNRs were split into four without me opting in. ...
It was hidden in when you asked to be waitlist for the upgrade.

... 1. Can I refuse the upgrade if I can't get 2 or 4? (The two kids are very young.) ..
You can request being return to economy but your economy seats will potentially be gone. So the choice is to call and be removed from the waitlist or take the chance of a partial upgrade and decide how you want to split up or try to re-arrange seats in case of a partial upgrade.

... 2. Will the two kids still keep 1K status on the inbound flight? I read that they would be treated as GM but get to keep the E+ seats, correct?
Once split on the return, they will not longer have the inherited status. They willn't necessarily lose their E+ seats - but watch just in case a re-seating is done.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:19 pm

It was hidden in when you asked to be waitlist for the upgrade.

You can request being return to economy but your economy seats will potentially be gone. So the choice is to call and be removed from the waitlist or take the chance of a partial upgrade and decide how you want to split up or try to re-arrange seats in case of a partial upgrade.

Once split on the return, they will not longer have the inherited status. They willn't necessarily lose their E+ seats - but watch just in case a re-seating is done.
Actually I wasn't asked to be waitlisted doing OLCI. Could it be because I used RPUs?

What happened was two seats were upgraded at the gate. My wife wanted us to sit together but the original seats were gone by then. So I took one of the kids to first class. I got a middle and a window. I asked the first guy at the aisle but he said he "hated window seats" (I don't blame him). But the lady in the other seat exchanged seats with us. So we got to sit together.

On our return flight, Could I call to get on the "do not upgrade list?" I don't want to beg to exchange seats again.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:28 pm

Actually I wasn't asked to be waitlisted doing OLCI. Could it be because I used RPUs? ....
It was there or you would have not be on the gate waitlist (even with RPUs).

On our return flight, Could I call to get on the "do not upgrade list?" I don't want to beg to exchange seats again.
Just called reservations and request no CPU.

At this point the reservations are all on separate PNRs (consequence of being on the gate waitlist). Unfortunately not all agents are that familiar with the needed commands. Best to double check the reservations to see no signs that CPU is requested.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: UA Plat
Can this be correct?: "Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class within each Premier level. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets. If a reservation includes passengers other than the Cardmember, the Complimentary Premier Upgrade will not be processed." So if I book an award ticket for me and someone else, no matter what their status and whether or not they are a card member, no chance of an upgrade for either of us whether or not we split at OLCI?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
So if I book an award ticket for me and someone else, no matter what their status and whether or not they are a card member, no chance of an upgrade for either of us whether or not we split at OLCI?
If you split the PNR, you are each on your own reservation. If you have the CC and are a Premier member, you will be CPU eligible. Same for your companion (if CC holder and Premier, then CPU).
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:22 pm

Merged two parallel thread into http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html and archived the older posts in this thread. Please reference the above thread for future discussions.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.