Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions
Print Wikipost

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ftweb
Suppose I'm traveling internationally with a companion, want to be in the same cabin, and have only one GPU. Is it possible to use one GPU and one miles+money to waitlist for upgrade, and still be guaranteed that either both or neither of us will clear? ...
to use separate upgrade instrument types, the PNR must be split.

Originally Posted by ftweb
... Next question is that I seem to clear a higher fraction of the time with miles+money than with GPUs, so is this kind of mixed upgrade advantageous? ....
On the same flight with equivalent status & fare class, there should be no difference.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:25 pm

United Companion Upgrades - Online Check-in

Hi -

I am United 1K and have a non-Premier member on my same reservation. I need guidance on what steps I should and should not take when checking in for my flight online in order to give us the best chance of both being automatically upgraded. I am very confused by this and it doesn't seem to make logical sense. Split the reservation?
Many thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jeremym9
Hi -

I am United 1K and have a non-Premier member on my same reservation. I need guidance on what steps I should and should not take when checking in for my flight online in order to give us the best chance of both being automatically upgraded. I am very confused by this and it doesn't seem to make logical sense. Split the reservation?
Many thanks!
I just went through this (and did it incorrectly the first time).

As I understand it (and hopefully others will chime in to confirm/clarify/refute) when you get to the page about upgrading there is a box with your name next to it. If you check that box, you will be eligible for an upgrade, but if there is only one seat, you might be separated from your companion. If you do not check that box, you will not get an upgrade.

Good luck - I think I'm a reasonably smart guy, but it was confusing as hell to me.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by greenskin
I just went through this (and did it incorrectly the first time).

As I understand it (and hopefully others will chime in to confirm/clarify/refute) when you get to the page about upgrading there is a box with your name next to it. If you check that box, you will be eligible for an upgrade, but if there is only one seat, you might be separated from your companion. If you do not check that box, you will not get an upgrade. .
That is it in essence. What is confusing is what happens on the inbound. And obviously, since the OP is a 1K, the upgrades could occur up to T-96 days out. The check-in aspect is only if no upgrades have happened yet.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I just booked travel with 3 companions (all no status) - is it possible to split this itinerary so myself and one companion will be eligible for CPU? If not, what would be the best CPU strategy?
Old Apr 16, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I just booked travel with 3 companions (all no status) - is it possible to split this itinerary so myself and one companion will be eligible for CPU? ...
yes -- otherwise you would be ineligible.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Apologize for the newbie question, but I just got bumped to Platinum as a result of yesterday's out-of-the-blue status upgrades and need some guidance on an upcoming work trip in July with a non-status companion. We have to book our tickets separately due to expense tracking and corporate travel policies, but I was thinking about linking them after booking.

1) Will this allow her to select E+ seats?
2) Will this allow her to be upgraded at the Platinum window? I know that the policy is that companions must be on the same reservation, but I didn't know if that was the case in practice.
3) Will linking our reservations negatively impact my upgrade chances? In other words, if there's upgrade inventory at the Platinum window, will the system pass me by because my reservation isn't "eligible" due to a non-status companion linked on a separate PNR?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 11, 2016, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deemus7

1) Will this allow her to select E+ seats?
2) Will this allow her to be upgraded at the Platinum window? I know that the policy is that companions must be on the same reservation, but I didn't know if that was the case in practice.
3) Will linking our reservations negatively impact my upgrade chances? In other words, if there's upgrade inventory at the Platinum window, will the system pass me by because my reservation isn't "eligible" due to a non-status companion linked on a separate PNR?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
0. Linking means nothing except for display. Check out the "linking" thread.
1. No, but you can call in for her.
2. No.
3. No.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Different Status Companions on Same Reservation

I've browsed through most of this thread including the very detailed flow chart on Page 22.

For clarity and simplicity, here is the scenario:
I am 1k, two companions are Gold, and one Silver on a single PNR.

During check in, I am asked to split and choose one companion. When I do, it creates a new PNR for each person and then prioritized them according to THEIR status INCLUDING the companion I chose.

I called 1k desk and they said it worked as it should since each person is getting the perk they deserve for their status.....?????????????

Well, I didn't get the perk that includes my chosen companion be right there behind me on the upgrade list. I'm the one being penalized by not getting my benefit. If I didn't split, then I will not be on the upgrade list at all.

What should I do differently for next time?
Old May 17, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ShotgunKid
I've browsed through most of this thread including the very detailed flow chart on Page 22.

For clarity and simplicity, here is the scenario:
I am 1k, two companions are Gold, and one Silver on a single PNR.

During check in, I am asked to split and choose one companion. When I do, it creates a new PNR for each person and then prioritized them according to THEIR status INCLUDING the companion I chose.

Well, I didn't get the perk that includes my chosen companion be right there behind me on the upgrade list. I'm the one being penalized by not getting my benefit. If I didn't split, then I will not be on the upgrade list at all.

What should I do differently for next time?
Hmm. This is interesting when all are Premier.

Next time, split off you and the Silver alone. You might've gotten a CPU before the T-24 timing.

How do you know the companion is based on their status?
Old May 17, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aacharya
Hmm. This is interesting when all are Premier.

Next time, split off you and the Silver alone. You might've gotten a CPU before the T-24 timing.

How do you know the companion is based on their status?
No, I did not get a CPU. In fact, not even close to being upgraded myself. I am in a GS heavy hub so my upgrades are infrequent here. That's why I didn't bother to argue about it, but in other airports, it would make a difference.

Not sure I understand your question, but I was toward the top of the list, the two golds were close together some ways down, and the silver was towards the bottom.

The sponsoring individual is penalized by not getting the companion benefit. The lower Premier member gets penalized for having the status by being taken out of the companion pool.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere and maybe for a different reason, not to put companion's Mileage Plus number in. Then to put it in if it doesn't look like its going to clear. This is a lot of work that we shouldn't have to try and manipulate!

Last edited by ShotgunKid; May 17, 2016 at 7:41 pm
Old May 18, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ShotgunKid
No, I did not get a CPU. In fact, not even close to being upgraded myself. I am in a GS heavy hub so my upgrades are infrequent here. That's why I didn't bother to argue about it, but in other airports, it would make a difference.

The sponsoring individual is penalized by not getting the companion benefit. The lower Premier member gets penalized for having the status by being taken out of the companion pool.
You would never get a CPU with four on the reservation. I would have pulled myself and any other Premier off well before T-96.

I do agree that whomever you pulled off should have had your status, but when I have two on the reservation only, it always works.

I think your case was an interesting one of multiple pax on a reservation, all of whom are Premiers. Not often we see that with 3 or 4 pax.
Old May 23, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hi folks - scratching my head to see if there is a solution to the following question:

I am traveling with my two sons EWR-PBI in a couple of months' time. My ticket plus one child's ticket are paid fares. The other kid is on an award ticket. All booked in coach. I am a Chase United credit card holder.

I have 2 RPUs available. (I'm 1K).

I would love to be able to use the 2 RPUs to upgrade the 2 paid tickets, and then "transfer" my Chase credit card eligibility for a CPU on an award ticket to my son. (As if my son was on my paid ticket and I was on the award ticket). I figure there is a decent chance that there will be CPUs on that flight.

Do you think there's a snowball's chance that I can find a nice phone agent to do this? Any advice for how to phrase it in the request? Or am I kidding myself?

Thanks...
Old May 23, 2016, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by alexperi
.... and then "transfer" my Chase credit card eligibility for a CPU on an award ticket to my son.
Do you think there's a snowball's chance that I can find a nice phone agent to do this? ....
I would not even give you that good of odds. Doubt there is even a way for anyone but the gate agent to mess with the upgrade list in this manner. And GAs would be doubtful

Will you be in any UCM issues, due kid's ages and being in separate cabins?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2016 at 11:48 pm Reason: typo
Old May 24, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I would not even give you that good of odds. Doubt the is even a way for anyone but the gate agent to messy with the upgrade list in this manner. And GAs would be doubtful

Will you be in any UCM issues, due kid's ages and being in separate cabins?
No, that won't be an issue. Thanks anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.