Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mainline domestic flights grounded -- 22 Jan 2017 IT issue [STOP LIFTED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Technology Issue

Systemwide

Original travel date(s): January 22 - 23, 2017

Flight changes: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new flights departing on or before January 25, 2017, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​​
Print Wikipost

UA mainline domestic flights grounded -- 22 Jan 2017 IT issue [STOP LIFTED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry, TSA Pre
I was delayed nearly 3 hours (in the terminal), but received no compensation offer (I'm a 1K out of SFO). Any idea how and why United determined which flights and passengers received compensation, given that it was a systemwide outage?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Freeburd
I was delayed nearly 3 hours (in the terminal), but received no compensation offer (I'm a 1K out of SFO). Any idea how and why United determined which flights and passengers received compensation, given that it was a systemwide outage?
In the past, proactive compensation offers seem to be tied to
(1) Being on the manifest of a flight posting a significant delay [the rule is typically >3 hours, however in this case ??? since much shorter delays have reported receiving an offer]
(2) The delay being coded to something that UA considers to be within their control (e.g. Maintenance vs. Air Traffic Control)
(3) Some sort of manual intervention to "submit" the flight also seems to be a part of the recipe but I'm not sure how this interacts with (1) and (2).

If you were offloaded from the original flight and protected on a new flight you're (IME) unlikely to receive a proactive offer, OTOH, of you're protected and not offloaded (keep space) on the original flight odds are better. If the flight was originally coded as a "act of god" delay (Weather) and then got caught up in this mess, you're also unlikely to get an offer automatically.

In any event, it seems it would certainly be worth writing a short, polite note to 1KV
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
It might interest readers here to know that apparently Delta are down again. Hard to tell exactly what the impact was, but yet again seems like a more significant outage than UA's.

Makes you wonder if the IT systems are under attack across the US, wouldn't be all that surprising if efforts have increased recently.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by televisor
It might interest readers here to know that apparently Delta are down again. Hard to tell exactly what the impact was, but yet again seems like a more significant outage than UA's.

Makes you wonder if the IT systems are under attack across the US, wouldn't be all that surprising if efforts have increased recently.
I wouldn't attribute terrorism to what is more likely shoddy IT infrastructure.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Yes I love all the bloggers who continuously plug DL as most reliable. So much for that. All of the legacy carriers are using antiquated systems that should have been replaced years ago.

At least UA was good about compensating customers and flexible about rescheduling. DL - not so much and they just terminated their interline agreement with AA.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Interesting that it's the 2nd week an a row, with W&B/ACARS being mentioned/seeming to be the guilty party in both cases -- wonder if SITA/ARINC (ACARS) and/or the W&B automation provider (common to UA and DL?) is pushing out an update that isn't going as smoothly as it should? Will AA or WN be next weekend's story?

Originally Posted by Boraxo
At least UA was good about compensating customers and flexible about rescheduling. DL - not so much and they just terminated their interline agreement with AA.
From what I can find DL/AA terminated their interline endorsement agreement back in 2015 -- nothing more recent -- and nothing about terminating all of the interline agreements (IET, IT, IB, etc.) -- though it does seem odd that DL is affirmatively walking away from one of the major selling points for legacy/network carriers over LCC/ULCC. (That said, I swore I'd never fly DL again in 2004 and so far have been successful even in IROPS. The last couple, they didn't even offer DL so I wonder if there's some friction between DL/UA in this department as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.