Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
How long would you wait for a partner award to ticket before concluding it's failed and calling? Yesterday I booked a saver business award for next June on LOT, and it's still unticketed. The language on the website is rather confusing, as they say they're holding the reservation for me (until Jan 1st, 0001 apparently!) and has a purchase link, which tells me to call reservations for assistance, but it also said that immediately after booking so I think that's just the default for anything unticketed, whether it's still processing or not.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zymm
How long would you wait for a partner award to ticket before concluding it's failed and calling? Yesterday I booked a saver business award for next June on LOT, and it's still unticketed. The language on the website is rather confusing, as they say they're holding the reservation for me (until Jan 1st, 0001 apparently!) and has a purchase link, which tells me to call reservations for assistance, but it also said that immediately after booking so I think that's just the default for anything unticketed, whether it's still processing or not.
About 23 hours, max. If it looks like a problem, it probably is. Call and find out. :/
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Stopover on award ticket

Hello. Simple question to which I was unable to find answer on MP website

On an award ticket USA-Canada. are stopovers allowed? Must it be return ticket as opposed to one way? What about on an OJ itinerary.
Specifically, on an award IAH-EWR-YYZ, am I allowed to break journey, as a stopover, in Newark? On a return ticket, am I able to stopover in both directions?
Thanks again for any help/info.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. Simple question to which I was unable to find answer on MP website

On an award ticket USA-Canada. are stopovers allowed? Must it be return ticket as opposed to one way? What about on an OJ itinerary.
Specifically, on an award IAH-EWR-YYZ, am I allowed to break journey, as a stopover, in Newark? On a return ticket, am I able to stopover in both directions?
Thanks again for any help/info.
Award stopovers not longer exist. They have been replaced by the "free" Excursionist Perk. However, the Excursionist Perk cannot be used in the origin award region, so a USA/Canada origin cannot have an Excursionist Perk in USA/Canada. And can only be used on an RT award
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Is it possible to book a YN economy fare with a connection to an I business fare?

The website only shows XN...but the layover is 10 hours for a simple LAX-SFO flight. I want to try and get that down ideally to 3-5 hours. Booking now and checking for XN is one solution, is there another?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Is it possible to book a YN economy fare with a connection to an I business fare?
Sure -- provided that you pay the JN rate for the entire trip. I'm guessing that's not what you had in mind, though.

(In other words, no, you can't do what you want).
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
A fare break in the connecting city also works, and is probably cheaper (but also not what I think laxmillenial was envisioning)
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by findark
A fare break in the connecting city also works, and is probably cheaper (but also not what I think laxmillenial was envisioning)
That's my backup (or backup backup) plan. Purchase revenue to SFO, award to AKL. Which leads to my next question:

If I currently have LAX-SFO-AKL booked and I want to drop the LAX-SFO leg, will I availability have to be available for me to drop it? Meaning can they just drop a segment or will the fare class have to be available and a total rebook occur?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA
Hi. I'm new to United so I hope you can help me understand what I need to search for to find an answer. I looked for "award mixed cabin" "award combine segments" and several others but didn't see this specific case.

I see United award flights available for the following city pairs on the same date:
STL->ORD, UA 4514, Economy, 16K miles
ORD->BUD, LO 32, Business, 70K miles

Therefore, I could book both segments - separately - for a total of 86K miles. If I search for STL->BUD, I get itineraries containing both of those segments; the award is mixed cabin (Economy/Business) but the cost is 155K miles.

Is there a way to book both segments on the same itinerary for 86K rather than 155K? If I book separately, is there a way to "protect" the later flight if the former is delayed (I could build in a 6-hour layover at ORD, but still...). Any drawbacks or other tricks to doing this correctly. Thank you!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by backprop
Is there a way to book both segments on the same itinerary for 86K rather than 155K? If I book separately, is there a way to "protect" the later flight if the former is delayed (I could build in a 6-hour layover at ORD, but still...). Any drawbacks or other tricks to doing this correctly. Thank you!
Use multi-city search and you should be able to get the 86K price.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Use multi-city search and you should be able to get the 86K price.
Indeed I can. Thank you!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
If I currently have LAX-SFO-AKL booked and I want to drop the LAX-SFO leg, will I availability have to be available for me to drop it? Meaning can they just drop a segment or will the fare class have to be available and a total rebook occur?
With all UA, it's easy for them to drop a segment.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:52 am

From my previous post: I paid (with miles) for the following itinerary on April 27.

STL->ORD, UA 4514, Economy, 16K miles
ORD->BUD, LO 32, Business, 70K miles
The status remains "not ticketed." The social media team says it appears LO32 is not available, but United.com still shows it as an option. Additionally, ExpertFlyer shows award availability for the itinerary:

I transferred UR points specifically to purchase this itinerary (and I've already purchased the return on another airline) so it's not much of an option to try and move this one around or refund miles.

Edit: I called Reservations, and they say they "manually" ticketed LO32 - but it's still showing up Not Ticketed. They said to wait 24 hours. Is that typical or do I need to call again?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by backprop; Aug 29, 2018 at 6:03 am
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edit: I called Reservations, and they say they "manually" ticketed LO32 - but it's still showing up Not Ticketed. They said to wait 24 hours. Is that typical or do I need to call again?
Phantom availability is a real thing, which is extremely unfortunate when you're using a convertible currency. The fact that it's showing up in ExpertFlyer, and not merely on United.com, is a good sign, but not 100% foolproof. Given that the reservations agent claimed to be able to ticket it, instead of telling you there was no availability, I'd give it a few hours to see if it winds its way through the backend processes. Per *A rules, LO has 24 hours to respond to a ticketing request -- that's likely where the 24 hour suggestion comes from.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I have a redemption booking in business class under the previous mileage rules SYD-BKK-(FCO-LIS-LHR)-BKK-SYD which cost 60,000 miles. There has been a schedule change for the FCO-LIS sector of 20 minutes, which makes one of my connections risky. I'd be happy just to drop the "excursionist perk" entirely, but no go.

I've spoken to the SIN reservations ctr and they say they can't do anything about it, apart from repricing my trip to 100,000 miles. Is there anything that might be done to reasonably sort this mess out? It really isn't my fault...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.