Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I am not recommending any of these but see the discussion in Award booking services - a list and some reviews

At time of change, you will effectively be rebooking the entire trip anew. Holding previous space (for partner flights) is of no help and may hurt by removing inventory.
I see. Thanks for moving my post, and thanks for the reply. I guess I'll be gambling that week. Will probably buy a month of EF so I can check ANA's award fare buckets. Losing the trip is not worth saving 25k points on SIN-HKG.

Originally Posted by prestonh
Excursionist stopovers are not going to work between Japan and TPE/HKG as they are separate areas for MP awards.
The itinerary I described does work for excursionist. I tried it out on United.com for August on the same numerical dates as my plan for November and it prices at 160k which is expected, SIN-HKG is 0. Just to be clear, I'm handling NRT-SIN and HKG-TPE outside of MP, so it's just SJC-NRT, SIN-HKG, TPE-SFO which is ok because SIN and HKG are in the same zone and it starts and ends in the US.

EDIT:
I just realized this doesn't matter near as much as I thought it did because ANA releases seats a week later than SQ and BR so the waiting period is about three days rather than ten.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Oct 30, 2018 at 9:25 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Midwestgirl22
Thank you, that's what I was afraid of.......

Being a little too picky trying to pick out the perfect routes, best rated airlines, airports that have priority pass access, best layovers, and so on. Such a headache.

Is there a service for this??
It’s not nearly as bad as it may seem. While it’s difficult to build a one-way itinerary by hand, assembling individual flights that don’t appear if you try searching from your origin to your destination, it should be no problem at all to book a multi-city trip provided that (a) the origin and destination for each leg show up when searched as a one-way and (b) you’re not doing anything that an agent might consider abusing the spirit of the rule. The website simply has some issues with large multi-city searches.

Also, from what I can see, it looks like you’re booking in business class? The only reason you’d need to worry about Priority Pass is for domestic club access on connecting flights. In most cases, a Priority Pass lounge is going to be no better than the one you’re able to access as a Buiness Class customer.

For example, on the itinerary you listed, assuming everything is ticketed in Business Class, you’d have access to the Lufthansa Business lounge at DTW, the Polaris lounge at SFO, one of the EVA lounges at TPE, and the Royal Orchid lounges at BKK. In fact, I’d look for a longer layover at BKK personally, because otherwise I don’t think you have time for the free* massage at the spa.

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
The itinerary I described does work for excursionist. I tried it out on United.com for August on the same numerical dates as my plan for November and it prices at 160k which is expected, SIN-HKG is 0. Just to be clear, I'm handling NRT-SIN and HKG-TPE outside of MP, so it's just SJC-NRT, SIN-HKG, TPE-SFO which is ok because SIN and HKG are in the same zone and it starts and ends in the US.
Yep, this is absolutely a valid excursionist perk segment.

If you have no flexibility at all, you might want to scoop up the award space as soon as it arrives, with the understanding that you may not be able to get the Excursionist Perk. If you have some flexibility — for example, if you’re willing to add a connection somewhere — you can probably roll the dice and get it on a single award. I’ve yet to run into any occasion where I couldn’t find something; it might just not be optimal.

* gratuities welcome
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yep, this is absolutely a valid excursionist perk segment.

If you have no flexibility at all, you might want to scoop up the award space as soon as it arrives, with the understanding that you may not be able to get the Excursionist Perk. If you have some flexibility — for example, if you’re willing to add a connection somewhere — you can probably roll the dice and get it on a single award. I’ve yet to run into any occasion where I couldn’t find something; it might just not be optimal.

* gratuities welcome
Yeah I think it will be fine, but I appreciate the advice. I've got +/- a day of flexibility, and between ANA at San Jose and the various flights to HND and NRT on UA and ANA out of SFO I'm sure there will be something. I'd be fine paying 110k for ANA F if that happens to be the only thing open which weirdly enough has been the case before. Only thing I wouldn't take is UA's 777-200 or 787s. Now that I think about it, it's hard to say what I'd do if choosing between UA 777-300ER Polaris at 70k or ANA J at 80k.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
o.k., that's a problem. If the flight # changed, that's going to be an issue. If the flight number stayed the same it should be easier because you still have the underlying ticket. In that case Swiss can simply add that segment back in and all is good. With a new flight number you need the ticket re-issued and for that quite a few things need to happen. This can be done, I have done it in the past, but it is not easy.
Give it fair shake and otherwise go via the BBB or DOT ... UA will then work with Swiss to get these things fixed. I had a similar problem with an LX segment this year that ultimately took the intervention of the DOT to get it rectified.
It seems the issue has been resolved successfully. I reached out to United directly (both via their portal and using Elliott.org to obtain emails for customer care personnel), including the details of the dropped segment and inclusive of a copy of the original eticket receipt showing the itinerary that included the ZRH to BDS segment. This was Saturday Nov 3. On Monday morning, Nov 5, I received an initial response saying there is nothing that United could do as it was a SWISS problem. However, immediately thereafter, I received another email that said United was working on resolving the problem and asked for my telephone number so that they may contact me. Sure enough, this morning I received a telephone call from a customer care agent. She indicated that, of course, it is Swiss' responsibility to protect me due to the schedule change. And, that she had worked directly with them to put us back on the newly rescheduled segment to Brindisi in our original class of service (business). Problem solved. She also communicated that she was going to follow-up with the reservation agent I dealt with to ensure proper training was provided. Finally, she indicated that she was also following up with Swiss to learn why they dropped the segment in the first place instead of protecting a confirmed reservation on the new flight. Well done!

Last edited by wanderlustFL; Nov 6, 2018 at 1:44 pm
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I'm guessing this has been discussed before, but I don't know what keywords to use for a search.

A few days ago, I booked YYZ-ORD-HKG-BKK for 75K miles with 1st segment in Y and 2nd and 3rd segments in J (AC/UA/TG if it matters). ORD-HKG is faux Polaris on 777 so I was lucky enough to snag one of the First seats which is being marketed as business class!

Today while browsing the UA site, I did a similar search and found YYZ-EWR-HKG-BKK for 90K miles, again 1st segment in Y and 2nd and 3rd segments in J (UA/UA/ET).

Why is the ticket that routes through ORD 75K miles, while the one that routes through EWR is 90K miles?

TIA

Last edited by margarita girl; Nov 15, 2018 at 5:42 am
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Why is the ticket that routes through ORD 75K miles, while the one that routes through EWR is 90K miles?
So, 90K is the partner J rate. There's nothing in the itinerary you listed that should have made it use partner J -- it should only bump up to partner J when there is an interregional flight on a partner airline in J. HKG-BKK is intraregional, so you should get the UA rate on both of the itineraries you listed. I'm not sure it's not pricing out that way.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
So, 90K is the partner J rate. There's nothing in the itinerary you listed that should have made it use partner J -- it should only bump up to partner J when there is an interregional flight on a partner airline in J. HKG-BKK is intraregional, so you should get the UA rate on both of the itineraries you listed. I'm not sure it's not pricing out that way.
Dynamic rates?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gusd
Dynamic rates?
I suppose it's possible, but 90K is really, really cheap for an Everyday business award from North America to South Asia.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I don't know what all shows up for YYZ-ORD-XXX-BKK. But from what I've seen in the past you should be able to book (from ORD) the following to BKK:

ORD-ICN-BKK on OZ-OZ or OZ-TG
ORD-NRT-BKK on NH-NH or NH-TG
ORD-TPE-BKK on BR-TG

For 90K miles, these are the flights I would book.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thanks for the insight. I was going to post a screenshot, but the availability is gone. I'm sure I didn't make an error because I did a double take when I saw the route and the miles required.

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I don't know what all shows up for YYZ-ORD-XXX-BKK. But from what I've seen in the past you should be able to book (from ORD) the following to BKK:
Originally Posted by cheltzel

ORD-ICN-BKK on OZ-OZ or OZ-TG
ORD-NRT-BKK on NH-NH or NH-TG
ORD-TPE-BKK on BR-TG

For 90K miles, these are the flights I would book.

I currently have YYZ-TPE-KUL booked (BR/BR) for 90K miles, and KUL is my final destination. I just thought it might be nice to spend a few days in BKK before going to KUL. (Routing through ORD is not required.)

Now I have to decide whether I want to pay 90K miles to fly BR or 75K miles to fly UA F. If it was UA J, I would definitely be taking the BR ticket!

Thank you all.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:38 am

I suppose it's possible, but 90K is really, really cheap for an Everyday business award from North America to South Asia.
I've seen rates between saver and everyday. For example, I see 55K US to Europe in YN, which is below the 70K everyday rate. I cannot reproduce now, but I remember seeing even 45K rates at one point.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gusd
I've seen rates between saver and everyday. For example, I see 55K US to Europe in YN, which is below the 70K everyday rate. I cannot reproduce now, but I remember seeing even 45K rates at one point.
Oh, it's absolutely possible, but it's much more common in Y than in J. In J, the Everyday awards haven't seemed to move much at all from the maximum values.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:00 pm

Oh, it's absolutely possible, but it's much more common in Y than in J. In J, the Everyday awards haven't seemed to move much at all from the maximum values.
I agree, I haven't seen this in J.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Okay, so the following is Saver Award, but I can’t believe just how well the United Excursionist Perk appears to be working.

02/05/2019 SFO (UA) EWR (TP) LIS 30k+$9.60
02/09/2019 LPA (SK) ARN (SK) KRN 0+$20.80
02/12/2019 CPH (SK) ORD 30k+$42.03
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Hello,

I was checking options available from US West Coast (PDX) to India (CCU/DEL) using UA miles in Y. Options shown on UA website mostly show UA metal / AC metal options. How do I get it to show a routing combining UA / SQ or UA /AI ? I tried advanced search but that too does not help.

Basically looking to use Chase UR miles to book tickets to India and exploring ideal options using least amount of miles AND avoiding YQ. Guidance appreciated.

Basically, how do I use UA miles to book tickets on partner airlines when UA website does not show options which I know are available.
Say route of PDX - DEL, there are options which are possible in UA / SQ/ AI / TG and others, but UA website showing me mostly UA+AC combinations and 1 UA+TG combination. Am sure there is a trick or way to check these out and book.

Thx

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 7, 2018 at 2:34 pm Reason: moved to consolidated thread; merged consecutive posters by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.