Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 9:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TA
.... Do you know what is the system or method that I would request if trying this? Thanks!
That would be asking the agents to break the rules, a small few may volunteer to do this but let it be their choice. You should expect this to work only if there is new space.

The reality is modifying (adding or deleting segments) an existing partner award is not a "feature" of the present system. This thread is full of failures.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:13 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Would I hint / prompt the agent to just search for availability of the IST-ZRH award space (which is available on TK)?

Also, is the outright dropping / removal of the leg much more feasible? Thanks!
Old May 7, 2019, 9:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TA
... Also, is the outright dropping / removal of the leg much more feasible? Thanks!
In the new system any change of a partner award requires new availability on all legs. For either adding or deleting a segment.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I would recommend buying a cheap IST-ATH ticket the night before (TK/A3 routinely offer this route for <$100 a few weeks out, and <$40 if you book in advance), and then flying your itinerary from ATH as scheduled.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:35 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I would recommend buying a cheap IST-ATH ticket the night before (TK/A3 routinely offer this route for <$100 a few weeks out, and <$40 if you book in advance), and then flying your itinerary from ATH as scheduled.
Yeah unfortunately that's the whole thing we want to avoid -- losing a half day, having to shlep to another hotel, and the risk of dealing with more connections, and Athens in general (although I know there is a Sofitel on the airport property).
Old May 9, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Looking at trying to get on the nonstop LH KEF-FRA flight. Shows as cash option just fine, but I cannot find one date where it its bookable with miles. UA wants to route me on SAS or some subsidary. Any reasons why? Also noticed issues trying to have LH flights appear India-FRA - ua.com only shows Air India flights. Something going on with Lufthansa routes?

Also can't even see the Austrian KEF-VIE flights.

Last edited by BThumme; May 9, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Old May 9, 2019, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
Looking at trying to get on the nonstop LH KEF-FRA flight. Shows as cash option just fine, but I cannot find one date where it its bookable with miles. UA wants to route me on SAS or some subsidary. Any reasons why? Also noticed issues trying to have LH flights appear India-FRA - ua.com only shows Air India flights. Something going on with Lufthansa routes?

Also can't even see the Austrian KEF-VIE flights.
You can only book partners if their "saver" level (capacity controlled) is available. You can use miles to book essentially any UA flight, sometimes at a higher (standard) award price which is why those flights usually show up.

You're getting SAS flights since they have released saver award space.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Hello experts,

As I do not book awards very often I was wondering if you could share any hint on how to book some multicity awards.

Currently trying to book a VIE...SLP/MEX award on August 6th or 7th. If searching as one way there is only one single option.
But if I would like to start peacing several segments I can find other options also, which are not shown in a basic one way search. But these segments will than price higher, for more miles.

Any hint if this is possible to achieve with the same level of miles vs one way mile pricing?

Thanks
Old May 16, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Hello experts,

As I do not book awards very often I was wondering if you could share any hint on how to book some multicity awards.

Currently trying to book a VIE...SLP/MEX award on August 6th or 7th. If searching as one way there is only one single option.
But if I would like to start peacing several segments I can find other options also, which are not shown in a basic one way search. But these segments will than price higher, for more miles.

Any hint if this is possible to achieve with the same level of miles vs one way mile pricing?

Thanks
You can call reservations and see if an agent will long sell it for you, but they have been less and less willing to do that recently.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Hello experts,

Thanks
Piecing together segments to make a bespoke journey has become mostly impossible. Agents see what you see on the computer and have little flexibility. Its been this way for a few years. The good old days have left us. So, if you see an itinerary that works, but is not optimal, grab it before someone else does.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
What a shame all these nice news enhancement destroying what was once maybe the best award search webpage.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I need to book 3 pax via ANA award on UA and other Star Alliance partner metal AND 2 pax via UA award on same flights. Currently there are at least 9 award tickets available via UA and 4 on ANA. My guess is that UA is limiting the one UA domestic leg to 4 seats for ANA ticketing.

Which should I book first? Ideally, I’d like to book the UA awards first then do the ANA (bc long story but I’d be canceling some other ANA awards to make this happen). But is there any risk that booking the UA first would suck back some of the seats open for ANA booking? Or will UA take from their own? It may be possible that more are showing for me on UA bc I have a UA visa. I’m not sure.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
But is there any risk that booking the UA first would suck back some of the seats open for ANA booking?
Yes.

Both are risky, but booking ANA first is less risky. As soon as the first reservation comes in, UA may re-run its inventory calculations and decide that they don’t want any more award bookings right now. It is also possible that they will decide they don’t want any more partner award bookings, but that they’re OK with some UA award bookings.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I hadn't seen this particular scenario described before, so I thought I'd share my positive experience booking a half-J, half Y itinerary with the Excursionist Perk. I'm headed to Kiev in a few weeks, found saver J EWR>WAW>KBP on LO—an airline I haven't flown in over 30 years—so I jumped on it. I wanted to add a hop to DUB on my way home to BOS, and couldn't find any saver J on that leg, but it's such a short flight I figured I'd take the EI nonstop, which had ample Y availability. As I was piecing together my itinerary, looking at my KBP>DUB options, I realized that UA was giving me access to saver J inventory because of my outbound segment in J ... and nothing changed, even when I chose to fly home in Y.

So, yay.

I ended up finding a fun itinerary KBP>IST>DUB that'll let me try the new IST airport and lounge. It's a lot longer than flying through ZRH or FRA, but given how much more enjoyable TK intra-European J is than LH or LX, I don't mind.

Anyway this may be old news to some, but I was pleased to discover UA's award booking engine didn't balk at the Excursionist Perk segments being in J even though my return ended up in Y.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I am confused.

Went to book an award tonight Sydney to India for Xmas in Biz class for 2 pax. 140,000 each round trip. Checked all flights and “I” class award inventory showed for all flights I needed.

Firstly agent says round trip awards no longer exist (Huh – is that correct??)

And secondly she says no one way award can have more than 3 or 4 segments.

Thirdly she says that united.com needs to show the award from start to end as being available and you cannot nominate 4 segments you can see are fine for I Class seats.

For instance SYD-DEL shows no Biz award on United.com if you ask for that routing.

But I can see these -

SYD-CTU – Dec 21

CTU-KMG – Dec 22

KMG-BKK – Dec 22

BKK-DEL - Dec 22

All show “I” inventory for 2 pax, and all connect OK. Agent tells me that way of constructing an award booking is no longer possible under New Rules.

Do others agree this is the real deal?

Or did I just get a clueless agent? She seemed pretty savvy, so the latter I doubt.

Brave New World indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.