Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aln10788
Is there a certain time of day/night that the seats show up online once it's 330 days out?
There is no set schedule for when award inventory is released. Could be at 330, could be never, could be anywhere in between.

If you know when you want to travel, it's certainly worth watching beginning around 330.

Originally Posted by N104UA
The flight opens for booking slightly after midnight ET, But UA could release I inventory at anytime after that (I have also noticed sometimes UA releases 332 days out for booking)
OP is asking about LH inventory, which is released by LH, not UA.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Kacee
OP is asking about LH inventory, which is released by LH, not UA.
Actually I think mention of LH was in one of the replies. OP just wants to get to FCO or VCE in saver J, and I'd wager would prefer UA metal since it'd be fewer miles.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by diburning
Try to book as soon as you are able to/as soon as the flights are bookable. Summer is peak travel season. They may not release very many award seats at the saver level if they think they can fill the plane with revenue passengers.
Tried to book the itinerary below on United using the Excursionist award and failed even after talking to a supervisor. It seems like it is within the rules but I've notices that the system seems to have trouble when you build in overnight stops less than 24 hours (which are allowed and technically not stops on an intl. itin).

SFO-ORD-YUL//overnight*//ZRH
VCE-ZRH-CDG
CDG-ZRH//overnight*//SFO

*less than 24 hours
United wants extra miles for the VCE-CDG leg which I think should be free under the Excursionist rules. Is there anything I'm missing?

Booking into Business saver with the SFO-YUL sectors in economy as no saver business is available. Booking this routing to make the travel a bit easier on my wife who has back problems.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aussieinsf
Tried to book the itinerary below on United using the Excursionist award and failed even after talking to a supervisor. It seems like it is within the rules but I've notices that the system seems to have trouble when you build in overnight stops less than 24 hours (which are allowed and technically not stops on an intl. itin).

SFO-ORD-YUL//overnight*//ZRH
VCE-ZRH-CDG
CDG-ZRH//overnight*//SFO

*less than 24 hours
United wants extra miles for the VCE-CDG leg which I think should be free under the Excursionist rules. Is there anything I'm missing?

Booking into Business saver with the SFO-YUL sectors in economy as no saver business is available. Booking this routing to make the travel a bit easier on my wife who has back problems.
Are you sure it's the VCE-CDG leg that's causing the problems? That one should definitely be free. However, I could see them charging you for either / both of SFO-YUL and/or CDG-ZRH.

While you're right that these connections are not stopovers, United no longer considers duration when pricing an itinerary. Instead, if the flights that you want aren't available with a simple origin - destination search, they'll price them on a point-to-point basis. So, unless you see SFO-ORD-YUL-ZRH when you do a SFO-ZRH search, you're unlikely to get it to price as a single award. The same is true for CDG-ZRH-SFO.

So, the best advice I have is to try each origin-destination search individually and see if any of the routings work for you. If you have to piece something together manually, it's likely to cost extra miles.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan

So, the best advice I have is to try each origin-destination search individually and see if any of the routings work for you. If you have to piece something together manually, it's likely to cost extra miles.
This is the issue I was raising - my routing is within their award rules but their IT/search function has trouble creating it. Charging me extra miles for an award routing that doesn't require it per United's rules seems like a fail to me.

I walked through this with the agent and only when she pulled the VCE-CDG leg did it price correctly. I'll call back again and try to add that sector and see what happens.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aussieinsf
This is the issue I was raising - my routing is within their award rules but their IT/search function has trouble creating it. Charging me extra miles for an award routing that doesn't require it per United's rules seems like a fail to me.

I walked through this with the agent and only when she pulled the VCE-CDG leg did it price correctly. I'll call back again and try to add that sector and see what happens.
Unfortunately, they changed the rules in October, and any award that uses multi-city search will now require extra miles -- and you're at the mercy of their computer system regarding what requires multi-city search and what doesn't.

I wish I had a better answer, but this is the way their new system works. Their immediate intent appears to have been to eliminate awards they considered abusive, such as criss-crossing Europe on a single award, spending 23 hours in each city. The actual result is to squash plenty of perfectly reasonable awards such as yours.

VCE-CDG is absolutely valid per the Excursionist Perk, so I'm guessing that the actual problem segment is CDG-ZRH -- I think it's pricing that on its own rather than as part of CDG-SFO. Therefore, it would be counting CDG-ZRH as the Excursionist Perk now. If you add VCE-CDG, that becomes the Perk... but CDG-ZRH is no longer free (the first eligible segment is the free one).

You may be able to swap the two; get VCE-CDG for free and eliminate CDG-ZRH. You'd then need to find another way to get from Paris to Zurich, such as the train.

Good luck!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:27 pm

Australia to USA routing

We are looking at SYD-BKK-LHR-EWR-ROC. Does not violate the 4-segment (3 connection) one-way rule, but not sure of the regions. Is this valid and bookable using a UA award (in coach)?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bosboy73
We are looking at SYD-BKK-LHR-EWR-ROC. Does not violate the 4-segment (3 connection) one-way rule, but not sure of the regions. Is this valid and bookable using a UA award (in coach)?
Things are much more strict than just the four segment rule now. If it doesn't give you those exact options when you put it SYD to ROC, you're pretty much out of luck, unless you price and pay for a multi-city award.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't think you can route to Australia via Europe.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I don't think you can route to Australia via Europe.
Correct you can only route to Australia through Asia, you would have to book two separate awards SYD-LHR and LHR-ROC, unless you are doing to stopover in LHR I recommend going through Asia.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Replacing LHR with ICN, NRT, PVG, HKG, etc. (Asia) will yield a legal routing, but good luck getting UA to offer you that itinerary now that itineraries can't be pieced together segment-by-segment using the multi-city tool and 'correctly' autoprice.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Replacing LHR with ICN, NRT, PVG, HKG, etc. (Asia) will yield a legal routing, but good luck getting UA to offer you that itinerary now that itineraries can't be pieced together segment-by-segment using the multi-city tool and 'correctly' autoprice.
Yeah usually all it returns is OZ ICN-SYD or maybe CA PEK-SYD.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:51 pm

Given all the recent nightmare stories about CA awards not ticketing and PEK being a terrible airport for layovers, I'd avoid this route if at all possible.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Yes... my wife and I recently had occasion (and sufficient time off!) to route SYD-BKK-ICN-JFK in TG F through ICN and OZ to JFK, which was a fond farewell to the 'old' way of building award itineraries!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:41 pm

Award Redemption Plan

Hello all. My fiance and I are trying to find two 1 way business class or above seats with 200k miles from LAX to Italy. We have been searching and have been finding saver awards with Swiss but want to ask the pros to see if this is good or not. We have flexibility but ideally we would fly out the 18th of March and come back the 25 through the 28th of March of 2018. Thanks in advance for any tips or other things found.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.