Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Just an update for @WineCountryUA and @jsloan. Against your advice I tried to do it anyway using the app, since the app was showing 100% correct info about the cost and whatnot. Unfortunately it wouldn't ticket and I got an email saying to call in, and after 50min on the phone with UA I got various different reasons why the booking was not valid (have to return to canada, last flight must come from outside US, 6000 mile price for LAX-SFO was an error, etc) and I eventually just said to put the booking back the way it was, which it seems they did do correctly. I appreciate your responses and info though; you were right about UA agents being unwilling to do it.
I'm sorry they weren't more helpful. I would take the time to make sure that the ticket number in your receipt hasn't changed, or, if it has, that AC has the updated number on their side as well. When things would go sideways after award changes, it was normally due to a failure by UA to communicate updated ticket information to the operating carrier, who'd end up dropping the segment because it wasn't ticketed.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I eventually just said to put the booking back the way it was, which it seems they did do correctly. ....
Glad they were able to restore, that is not always possible Just double check as jsloan mentions.

BTW, did not catch this earlier but the excursion leg you were seeking was not "legal". You were orignating at YYZ and an excursion (SFO-LAX) in the originating region (Mainland U.S., Alaska & Canada) is not allowed

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm Reason: misunderstood
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Glad they were able to restore, that is not always possible Just double check as jsloan mentions.

BTW, did not catch this earlier but the excursion leg you were seeking was not "legal". You were orignating at YYZ and an excursion (SFO-LAX) in the originating region (Mainland U.S., Alaska & Canada) is not allowed
SFO-LAX wasn't the excursion. Routing would have been YYZ-CDG, SIN-BKK, LAX-SFO, which should satisfy the rules.

Air Canada's horrendous IT (people on this forum may think UA IT has problems but it's pretty powerful compared to AC) doesn't show the ticket number online for partner booked flights, and due to 737 MAX madness it's impossible to get them on the phone so I asked them on twitter to confirm the ticket #. The booking is using the old AC PNR and ticket number though so I think it's good.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SIN-BKK was the excursion. SFO-LAX was the final segment, terminating in the originating region.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
SFO-LAX wasn't the excursion. Routing would have been YYZ-CDG, SIN-BKK, LAX-SFO, which should satisfy the rules.
OK, I guess I'm not surprized the system got confused, I did
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I think ultimately they will crack down on the rules with the new dynamic awards, because people are going to start appending cheap one way domestic tickets to get nearly free hops in Europe or Asia. They'll probably require that the start and ending legs both go between two different regions.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
SIN-BKK was the excursion. SFO-LAX was the final segment, terminating in the originating region.
I decided to try it again on the website and it worked and ticketed correctly. YYZ-CDG, SIN-BKK both in I, LAX-SFO in XN, 76,000 miles total. Only way it'd be better would be if I was flying UA metal to Paris for the lower award cost.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
I'm planning an award trip across a couple of continents well in advance, hoping to book Busienss saver awards. I can get the routing I want, but I'd like to convert one of the 14 hour layovers into a 3-4 day stopover. Is that possible?

To be clear - I'm going AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD and would like to stop in CCC for a long weekend.

I'm fine booking the whole trip (AAA-DDD and then DDD-AAA) as one-ways or round trip if that matters.

Follow-up question: If it's possible, what magic words do I need to say to get them to do it? (Currently GM status with MP Visa card - if that matters).
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 419er
I'm planning an award trip across a couple of continents well in advance, hoping to book Busienss saver awards. I can get the routing I want, but I'd like to convert one of the 14 hour layovers into a 3-4 day stopover. Is that possible?

To be clear - I'm going AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD and would like to stop in CCC for a long weekend.

I'm fine booking the whole trip (AAA-DDD and then DDD-AAA) as one-ways or round trip if that matters.

Follow-up question: If it's possible, what magic words do I need to say to get them to do it? (Currently GM status with MP Visa card - if that matters).
It depends upon where CCC and DDD are. If they are in the same award zone, CCC-DDD will be eligible for the Excursionist Perk, and you can get it for no additional miles if you purchase a round-trip itinerary. (Of course, that assumes that you can find availability for all three legs at the same time).

If they are in different award zones, you can book it, but you will be charged the mileage for each leg separately: AAA-CCC + CCC-DDD + DDD-AAA.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
It depends upon where CCC and DDD are.
Thanks - I wasn't aware that would matter. CCC is Istanbul, Turkey and DDD is Male, Maldives.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 419er
Thanks - I wasn't aware that would matter. CCC is Istanbul, Turkey and DDD is Male, Maldives.
Unfortunately, this is a prime example of an itinerary that would have been legal before the introduction of the Excursionist Perk but is now quite a bit more expensive.

With MileagePlus, Turkey is in Europe and the Maldives are in Central Asia. Based on your profile, I assume you're starting the award in North America. A partner business class award from North America to Central Asia is 85K each way, or 170K round-trip. This award would be priced as North America-Europe (70K) + Europe-Central Asia (55K) + Central Asia-North America (85K) = 210K total.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:35 am

Thanks! I really appreciate it - even though you dashed my hopes of seeing Ephesus.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA & AA
Question Business class reward redemption

HI, I try to book an award flights ORD-LAS, TPE-PEK, PEK-IST-ORD in biz class. I can see the seats are available if don't have a stopover in IST. However, if I change it to stopover (say one day) in IST, all the biz class tickets (for the entire route) become unavailable. For some reason, I can only see economy ticket availability. Is it true that only economy seats can have a stopover along with open-jaw and excursionist perk? Also, is there any route of domestic biz/first class have less than 35K points requirement? While the economy is now available for as low as 5K, it seems the biz/first stays above 35K or above?

thanks,
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JP136
HI, I try to book an award flights ORD-LAS, TPE-PEK, PEK-IST-ORD in biz class. I can see the seats are available if don't have a stopover in IST. However, if I change it to stopover (say one day) in IST, all the biz class tickets (for the entire route) become unavailable. For some reason, I can only see economy ticket availability. Is it true that only economy seats can have a stopover along with open-jaw and excursionist perk? Also, is there any route of domestic biz/first class have less than 35K points requirement? While the economy is now available for as low as 5K, it seems the biz/first stays above 35K or above?

thanks,
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As soon as you try to add a stopover at IST, it's going to charge you for PEK-IST and IST-ORD separately. The Excursionist Perk was intended as a replacement for the award stopover, not an addition to it.

Domestic business saver awards are 25K, but they're very difficult to find. I haven't seen any reports of sales on business saver; the discounts, so far, have only been on economy saver.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA & AA
Thanks, jsloan, for your quick response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.