Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
flew BOS-IAH-SJU on a B fare (150% PQM). was upgraded on leg 1 into ZK. did not clear on leg 2.

first segment only posted as 100% PQM; leg 2 posted properly as 150%. instead of being at my planned 50013 PQM for the year and [only] making gold, i’m now ~800mi short.

is this something that will resolve itself? is an email to MPSC the best resolution? thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by riphamilton
flew BOS-IAH-SJU on a B fare (150% PQM). was upgraded on leg 1 into ZK. did not clear on leg 2.

first segment only posted as 100% PQM; leg 2 posted properly as 150%. instead of being at my planned 50013 PQM for the year and [only] making gold, i’m now ~800mi short.

is this something that will resolve itself? is an email to MPSC the best resolution? thanks!
It won’t resolve itself on its own. However, something’s wrong — a B fare should have posted as ZB, not ZK — that’s an upgraded K fare. Are you sure it was a B all the way through? How did you upgrade it? Were there any changes, IRROPS, or weather waivers involved?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by jsloan

It won’t resolve itself on its own. However, something’s wrong — a B fare should have posted as ZB, not ZK — that’s an upgraded K fare. Are you sure it was a B all the way through? How did you upgrade it? Were there any changes, IRROPS, or weather waivers involved?
that’s what i figured - thanks. this was originally booked as a K fare pre-hurricane, but i had to change dates because of the hurricane. it then booked into B. i would presume that’s the reason for ZK, but i also applied/removed an RPU to the entire trip - and then removed it. i was in RN space at one point (isn’t that only for GS?). too complicated for me!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by riphamilton
.... this was originally booked as a K fare pre-hurricane, but i had to change dates because of the hurricane. it then booked into B. i would presume that’s the reason for ZK, .....
Nowadays UA will many times catch irrop rebookings into a higher fare and give you the fare class you booked/purchased. Years ago you might have kept the irrops rebooked fare class, now it is more common for UA to catch this. Unfortunately, this was a risky thing to count on.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Nowadays UA will many times catch irrop rebookings into a higher fare and give you the fare class you booked/purchased. Years ago you might have kept the irrops rebooked fare class, now it is more common for UA to catch this. Unfortunately, this was a risky thing to count on.
This. In my experience, they now catch it basically 100% of the time when my upgrade clears but nearly 0% when it doesn’t.

OP: Your best option is probably to contact customer care / MPSC and ask for them to honor what was printed on the receipt. I can’t promise it’ll be successful — ultimately, your earnings match what you originally paid for the flight — but there’s zero chance it’s going to change if you don’t ask.

Good luck!

PS: Keep in mind that one possible outcome of contacting them is that they remove your bonus miles for the IAH-SJU flight. So, if you’re of a mind to pay a buy-up offer, you might want to think about whether or not it’s worth the risk to ask.

Last edited by jsloan; Dec 30, 2017 at 12:26 am Reason: Added PS
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:16 am

I just checked in on a United flight and asked for my baggage to be interlined to tk on a separate ticket. The United agent printed the boarding pass both for my United and tk flight. Do I need to check in again with tk when I'm in transit or do I just proceed straight to security? Thank you.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bryant.Jr
I just checked in on a United flight and asked for my baggage to be interlined to tk on a separate ticket. The United agent printed the boarding pass both for my United and tk flight. Do I need to check in again with tk when I'm in transit or do I just proceed straight to security? Thank you.
While it is not absolutely necessary, you should stop by the transit desk, counter, or gate and get a new BP and show them your claim check to confirm the bag transfer.

Where are transiting that you would need to reclear security?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AA PLT UA GLD
Changing Economy Saver Award to Business Saver Award

I currently have an Economy Saver Award booked for travel in February. I have been waiting to see if a Business Saver Award will become available and am wondering if it does, will I be able to upgrade to Business by just using more miles, or will United force me to pay a change fee of some type in addition to the extra miles. If there is a change fee, how much will it be? Any help is appreciated.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zzzzz28
I currently have an Economy Saver Award booked for travel in February. I have been waiting to see if a Business Saver Award will become available and am wondering if it does, will I be able to upgrade to Business by just using more miles, or will United force me to pay a change fee of some type in addition to the extra miles. If there is a change fee, how much will it be? Any help is appreciated.
In the case of making an award change, that activity will be subject to the appropriate change fee -- there is a chance it might be waived but don't count on it. However, the better solution for an UA operated flight is to waitlist for the higher cabin -- that does no have a change fee.

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:52 pm

So expensive to transfer miles. Is there a better way?

My son and his girlfriend are planning a trip to Europe. He is about 20,000 miles short of what he needs to get the tickets. I thought I would be a good dad and just transfer them to him. Wow! It's expensive to transfer miles! Is there a better alternative? I supposed I could just get one of the tickets for him, but that leaves me short for some other international travel my wife and I are planning. Ideas and experiences are welcome. Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by drewmcmanus
My son and his girlfriend are planning a trip to Europe. He is about 20,000 miles short of what he needs to get the tickets. I thought I would be a good dad and just transfer them to him. Wow! It's expensive to transfer miles! Is there a better alternative? I supposed I could just get one of the tickets for him, but that leaves me short for some other international travel my wife and I are planning. Ideas and experiences are welcome. Thanks!
Those are pretty much the options. Note booking separate outbound and return tickets is possible and then you would only need the miles to purchase one OW TATL ticket

OW tickets do create the issue of 2 cancellation fees if that is needed.
drewmcmanus likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You can also use Award Accelerator to purchase more miles for the account which is short - this may actually be more economical than paying the transfer fee.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
You can also use Award Accelerator to purchase more miles for the account which is short - this may actually be more economical than paying the transfer fee.
It pretty much always is when you factor in total cost/return.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
While it is not absolutely necessary, you should stop by the transit desk, counter, or gate and get a new BP and show them your claim check to confirm the bag transfer.

Where are transiting that you would need to reclear security?
I don't know the OPs plans, of course, but if you transit Chicago you have to exit and re-clear security, since of course TK is at the international terminal there. Happened to me!

FTF
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:41 pm

As 2018 is here, we will say auld lang syne to this thread
and refer all to Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 1, 2018 at 10:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.