Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by utl567
Have a flight on Weds that I wouldn't mind getting bumped, up to two days even.

1. Did United ever go through with that Flex Schedule Program where passengers could be asked in advance if they wouldn't mind being bumped?

2. If they're looking for volunteers at the airport, would it possible to get bumped to a flight two days later, or does it have to be on the next available flight? I wouldn't need any additional compensation or hotel vouchers, etc.

I know I could change the flight but it's not worth $200 to me.

Thanks
On #1 , if the flight is looking like it needs volunteers/in overbooked situation, it'll ask at check in if you be willing to be put on the potential volunteer list and how much you'd be willing to accept in voucher.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Did United ever go through with that Flex Schedule Program where passengers could be asked in advance if they wouldn't mind being bumped?

2. If they're looking for volunteers at the airport, would it possible to get bumped to a flight two days later, or does it have to be on the next available flight? I wouldn't need any additional compensation or hotel vouchers, etc.

Thanks
I believe they did implement that program, as I’ve seen at least one report that sounded like it was that program in action. However, UA stated that it would be extremely limited, so your chance of experiencing it is very small.

There is no rule that the VDB must be to the next available flight. You can fly anything that you can negotiate. However, a gate agent is likely going to be surprised by that request and may refuse out of suspicion (“There must be a rule against it.”). I’d say something like, “well, I can’t fly tomorrow because I have to be on conference calls all day, but I can fly the day after. I won’t need any extra hotel vouchers or anything.” The more it sounds like you’re trying to adjust your schedule to help UA, rather than vice versa, the fewer eyebrows you’re likely to raise.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

1. Did United ever go through with that Flex Schedule Program where passengers could be asked in advance if they wouldn't mind being bumped? ...
Yes, UA does occasionally call prior to flights to ask for volunteers --- but it is exceptionally rare. Never personally been asked with >1,000 UA flights.

2. If they're looking for volunteers at the airport, would it possible to get bumped to a flight two days later, or does it have to be on the next available flight? I wouldn't need any additional compensation or hotel vouchers, etc. ...
You can ask, it would be unusual but anything possible.

BTW, VDBs are down substantially for UA -- July-Sept 2017 rates were 1 per 2,000 passengers. And IDB is 1 per 250,000!!

SDC is $75 (non-status passenger) and you might be able to push 1/2 day to a day each time.
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) [2017-forward]

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 26, 2017 at 7:13 pm Reason: sdc link
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Silly question. I figured it out. Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
fairly certain response for 4 hours or more
Yeah I could provided more explanation . . . 4 hours is as you say fairly certain, 3-4 is a maybe.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Thanks
I experienced it today for a flight out of CVG. Came up on the kiosk, with some pre-populated amounts, and the availability to type in a different amount.

Turned out not to be needed....and EWR was a cluster, so doubt I would have accepted anyway. 2 hour + delay on my original flight.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:16 am

Hi All,

Quick question, is there an easy way to force a connection routing if it's not showing in advance? I have 1 more trip this year and would like to route through SFO for additional miles, barring that have a 4-5 hour layover in denver to see some friends would be nice, but I can seem to force the online tool todo my bidding... thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vtbobf
Hi All,

Quick question, is there an easy way to force a connection routing if it's not showing in advance? I have 1 more trip this year and would like to route through SFO for additional miles, barring that have a 4-5 hour layover in denver to see some friends would be nice, but I can seem to force the online tool todo my bidding... thoughts?

Thanks!
on the full flight search tool, go to My Search Preferences, then Preferred Connections.

you can also call
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
In Y, which BoB menu is served for EWR-HNL? I assume just breakfast given the departure time.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:42 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I qualified for Premier for the first time ever -- I became Premier Gold last month -- so am still new about the perks. One of the benefits (I thought...) was that Award Miles would be calculated at 8x the fare (no status = 5x, Silver = 7x, Gold = 8x, etc).

However, checking on a potential BKK-USA trip for March 2018, it looks like it's still only 5x, even though I'm logged into my MP account:

5 x 1,889 (the PQD) = 9,445, which is what is shown as the award miles. I expected 8 x 1,889 = 15,112.

What am I missing?

(The routing is BKK-NRT-SFO-SAN, UA*-UA-UAX , P-P-P. The BKK-NRT segment is NH metal with UA code-share flight number.)
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:59 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
1984SW, if you are ticketed on a United ticket -- starting with the sales code for UA: 016 -- you will earn the multiplier for your elite status. The estimates shown on united.com often fail to show that bonus. But note that United's term "base miles" already includes the fare multiplied times 5.

However, earning award miles on other Star Alliance carriers is different if you are not on a United (016) ticket. See this United explanation for ANA: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=299
wpcoe likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 27, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:26 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
1984SW, if you are ticketed on a United ticket -- starting with the sales code for UA: 016 -- you will earn the multiplier for your elite status. The estimates shown on united.com often fail to show that bonus. But note that United's term "base miles" already includes the fare multiplied times 5.

However, earning award miles on other Star Alliance carriers is different if you are not on a United (016) ticket. See this United explanation for ANA: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=299
Thanks. So, if I were to continue with the booking on united.com while logged in with my MP number, I would end up with the 8x multiplier since UA would be issuing the (016) ticket?

Is it correct that if I booked via ANA's web site (and had an NH ticket, not 016) and flew BKK-NRT-LAX-SAN, NH-NH-UAX, in P, and credited to MileagePlus that I'd get 150% of the miles BKK-NRT-LAX? That would be 1.5 x 16,676 = 25,014 for just the BKK-NRT-LAX portion, a lot more than I'd get by booking on united.com with an 016 ticket.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Thanks. So, if I were to continue with the booking on united.com while logged in with my MP number, I would end up with the 8x multiplier since UA would be issuing the (016) ticket?
As long as your MP number is attached to the reservation, you'll get the 8x.
wpcoe likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by vtbobf
Hi All,

Thanks!
For a paid ticket, use multi-city to force any segments or combinations of segments you desire. Ignore per-segment prices; if there is a reasonable faring possible for the final itinerary you select, it will be chosen at the end (the computer is actually very good at this). This sadly no longer works for award tickets.

I qualified for Premier for the first time ever -- I became Premier Gold last month -- so am still new about the perks. One of the benefits (I thought...) was that Award Miles would be calculated at 8x the fare (no status = 5x, Silver = 7x, Gold = 8x, etc).

However, checking on a potential BKK-USA trip for March 2018, it looks like it's still only 5x, even though I'm logged into my MP account:

5 x 1,889 (the PQD) = 9,445, which is what is shown as the award miles. I expected 8 x 1,889 = 15,112.

What am I missing?
Click the number of award miles in the picture. You will get a pop-up showing earnings for all Premiers. The number on the flight search page is not personalized to the account logged in. As a Premier Gold you will earn 8x the PQD on an 016 ticket.

Is it correct that if I booked via ANA's web site (and had an NH ticket, not 016) and flew BKK-NRT-LAX-SAN, NH-NH-UAX, in P, and credited to MileagePlus that I'd get 150% of the miles BKK-NRT-LAX? That would be 1.5 x 16,676 = 25,014 for just the BKK-NRT-LAX portion, a lot more than I'd get by booking on united.com with an 016 ticket.
Yes, if you fly NH metal on a 205 stock ticket in P class, you will earn 200% of the flight distance in award miles as a Premier Gold (150% + 50% for Gold), as well as 200% of the distance in PQMs. For a cheap fare, this is indeed a substantially more lucrative way to earn RDM. You will, however, earn zero PQDs.

I think you have an extra factor of 2 in your math though; BKK-NRT-LAX is 8,341mi so it's 16,682 RDM versus 15,112 on United.

The LAX-SAN segment will earn PQD according to an opaque allocation of part of your fare to that segment (likely $40 - $200), and you will earn 8x that amount in RDM for that segment.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Click the number of award miles in the picture. You will get a pop-up showing earnings for all Premiers. The number on the flight search page is not personalized to the account logged in. As a Premier Gold you will earn 8x the PQD on an 016 ticket.
This. Keep in mind that you haven’t selected a traveler at this point in the process. For all the website knows, you’re making a booking for your non-status boss or 1K friend. You’ll see the complete, personalized breakdown for each traveler on the receipt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.