Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Is there such a thing as NRPS but for Y only?

On UA941 LHR-EWR this afternoon and happened to notice that two pax are on all three standby lists but -- long before the flight -- have confirmed E+ seat assignments on the Y list. I've seen NRPS pax confirmed in J and waitlisted for F before boarding (when most nonrevs clear), but never confirmed in Y and WLd for J.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:23 pm

Hi,

I pulled the following fare construction off of Saudia. The outbound is in December, return in January. How would I read this?

Based of of comparing it with the emailed receipt, I think the "Q100.00" is some kind of surcharge and the "408.88" is the outbound fare. Does the surcharge qualify for PQD?

Thanks!

/FC ooo UA ddd Q100.00 408.88WAO0HFEN UA ooo 248.92LDA4LFEN USD 757.80 END ZP ooo ddd XT18.23US8.20ZP11.20AY9.00XF ooo4.5ddd4.5

*Replaced origin/destination with ooo/ddd respectively.

Edit: according to the eticket, I'm in W on the outbound and L on the return. so it looks like the Q charge could be an upfare to Q? This was all booked on UA so I guess the website did it automatically, but I'd love for a firm confirmation of the meaning of this Thanks again!

Last edited by eeflyer; Nov 13, 2017 at 2:34 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You are correct. You are flying O-D on a $408.88 base fare (in W class), which has a other/miscellaneous surcharge of $100.00. The Q codes are PQD eligible because they are carrier surcharges, so your outbound will accrue 509 PQD.

Usually the charge is for traveling on a peak day (Hawaii at Christmas/NYE?), but it could be almost anything (this is spelled out explicitly in the fare rules). It is not for a change to Q class, and it is always 'Q' in a fare construction.
eeflyer likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Baggage check

Hi. Sorry this is basic but I don't remember. How long in advance of flight can I check my bag? Doubt it matters but I'm Plat. Thanks!
FTF
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by findark
You are correct. You are flying O-D on a $408.88 base fare (in W class), which has a other/miscellaneous surcharge of $100.00. The Q codes are PQD eligible because they are carrier surcharges, so your outbound will accrue 509 PQD.

Usually the charge is for traveling on a peak day (Hawaii at Christmas/NYE?), but it could be almost anything (this is spelled out explicitly in the fare rules). It is not for a change to Q class, and it is always 'Q' in a fare construction.
Fantastic, I looked up the fare rules on EF and indeed, it seems that it's a charge for flying on a certain day. Thanks for the explanation!

PS: right on with the destination guess!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
Hi. Sorry this is basic but I don't remember. How long in advance of flight can I check my bag? Doubt it matters but I'm Plat. Thanks!
FTF
The standard policy is 4 hours, being successful earlier YMMV.
Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Thanks. I'll be there earlier so we'll see!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:17 am

I am in the middle of my EWR-DEL-EWR trip. The return flight UA83 is getting cancelled frequently (twice weather, once MX) this past week. If it does get cancelled and I buy a new ticket on another airline, will UA refund the unused portion of my ticket? For several reasons, I can't take a 24 hour later flight. Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:27 am

Time for Austrian (OS) miles to post into MileagePlus account?

Does anyone knows how long does it normally take for miles to post after flying Austrian metal? I had 016 ticket a week ago that will put me over 1K before my return to the states next week and I would love to get the extra credit on the return flight.

Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by leonidas
I am in the middle of my EWR-DEL-EWR trip. The return flight UA83 is getting cancelled frequently (twice weather, once MX) this past week. If it does get cancelled and I buy a new ticket on another airline, will UA refund the unused portion of my ticket? For several reasons, I can't take a 24 hour later flight. Thanks
Y or J? The DEL weather waiver has ended, which makes me think it's unlikely it'll cxl again, but if it does I think you have a pretty good case for a refund (once a day, tight schedule, etc.). Not a perfect shot but I'd say your odds are decent.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfo789
Y or J? The DEL weather waiver has ended, which makes me think it's unlikely it'll cxl again, but if it does I think you have a pretty good case for a refund (once a day, tight schedule, etc.). Not a perfect shot but I'd say your odds are decent.
Under United's schedule change policy, you are always eligible for a refund when your originally scheduled flight is cancelled, provided that the resulting schedule change is greater than 2 hours.

However, before purchasing a ticket on another carrier, I'd ask UA to put me onto that other flight at no charge. They may or may not agree, but you'll likely wind up ahead of where you would be with a refund and last-minute ticket purchase.

I don't know whether the refund would be half the round trip cost or if they would reprice the fare as one-way and give you the resulting difference (which may be zero). I would hope it would be the former, since this would be an involuntary change, but I don't have personal experience with it.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As you are likely aware, the smog / airquality has been the caused of many of the recent cancellations.

First, do not act without involving UA. Generally cancelling a ticket on your own initiative will cause it to be repriced as oneway -- not sure of the ticketing policies for USA-India flights but this could leave little/nothing to be refunded. This appears to be true for these flights.

Second, if you have no margin for delays, monitor the UA flight closely and have backup options in mind (and know their availability).

Originally Posted by Siripo
Does anyone knows how long does it normally take for miles to post after flying Austrian metal? I had 016 ticket a week ago that will put me over 1K before my return to the states next week and I would love to get the extra credit on the return flight.

Thanks.
Expect 3-5 days -- if not done yet you have to wait until 15 days to request missing partner mileage. You can try call MPSC
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Is the deadline for dropping off a checked bag when leaving PTY still 60 minutes before departure? I’m usually there at least 90 minutes before, but just want to be sure. Thanks.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:30 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
60 mins. before flight departure for check-in and bag check is how I read UA's check-in info. That is the basic int'l. c/i protocol and there is no special rule or exception for PTY.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Is the deadline for dropping off a checked bag when leaving PTY still 60 minutes before departure? ....
60 minutes is standard for international locations and PTY is not listed as an exception.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.