Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The rule says "same day." Is that actually interpreted as "24 hours" by the system and/or dragons? The routing described above obviously isn't same-day, and it looks like he misses on a more liberal "24 hours" definition, too (which you pointed out).
In practise 'same-day' seems to have been interpreted as 24-hrs, cf. the 'same-day' BP for access to United Club, but obviously it will be subject somewhat to interpretation. For whatever it's worth I used a 24hr BP to take a quick self-guided tour of the lounge soon after it opened, despite not being anymore on an int'l itinerary, but the agents had to think about it. Perhaps the lounge being relatively empty swayed them away from the CO 'N'.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:21 pm

Change FF number: Booked United award using Avianca LifeMiles

Hopefully a simple question: I booked an award ticket on United using Avianca LifeMiles. I want my UA MP number on the flight to get Chase UA card benefits (priority boarding, etc - I don't have checked bags). The itinerary on UA's site allows me to edit my personal info, but not the FF number.

In the past, I've had similar experience booking AA award travel with BA Avios, and found that I could change the FF number from BA to AA either through a partner website (Royal Jordanian and Finnair used to work, not sure if they still do), or by calling in, although the agent was sometimes reluctant to do so since they imagined I had to keep the BA number on the reservation.

Does anyone know whether a similar process works for UA - either calling in or utilizing a partner website to edit the information?

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
That's odd. It seems like one would never be able to use an award from Airline #1 while using Airline #2's FF info.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's odd. It seems like one would never be able to use an award from Airline #1 while using Airline #2's FF info.
Not really. You can buy a ticket with FF miles for anyone. If an airline chooses to give certain perks to its frequent flyers, there should be (and is) a way to identify the person who's actually flying separate from the account that paid for the ticket.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I understand that it's easy from a technical standpoint; it just doesn't make a lot of sense from the airlines' perspective.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:00 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by md125
Hopefully a simple question: I booked an award ticket on United using Avianca LifeMiles. I want my UA MP number on the flight to get Chase UA card benefits (priority boarding, etc - I don't have checked bags). The itinerary on UA's site allows me to edit my personal info, but not the FF number.
Would you get the Chase VISA card priority boarding with a ticket issued by AV?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by 1984SW
Would you get the Chase VISA card priority boarding with a ticket issued by AV?
I think so, according to the FAQ, as long as your FF is associated with the reservation you get the benefit. This always worked on American, when I booked tickets with BA Avios. I had to change the FF number to my AA number, and then got the AA credit card benefits, even though the ticket was issued by BA. Anyways, can't hurt to try! Just wanted to see if there was a data point or two before spending a lot of time on the phone.

I understand that it's easy from a technical standpoint; it just doesn't make a lot of sense from the airlines' perspective.
I don't see that it should make much of a difference to UA what currency I used to buy my ticket. Whether UA miles or AV's, an award ticket is an award ticket. Of course, UA has the right to create different rules on award tickets in general, as separate from revenue tickets, and can further differentiate if they want, but that doesn't seem necessary.

Anyways, all I wanted to do was to see if someone knew whether and how it could be done. I've done it many times flying AA domestically on cheap BA Avios awards, but have never gotten a UA ticket using another airline's miles until now.

*** UPDATE ***
I may have answered my own question, and it may be simpler than I thought

The Avianca website allows me to change my frequent flyer number to the UA number, and when I checked back at United.com, the number was updated to my own UA number. Oddly, the "View Reservation" item still says "MileagePlus earnings: This traveler is earning miles with Avianca LifeMiles." but the "Edit Traveler" page shows my FF number as:

So we'll see what happens!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 5, 2017 at 1:24 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts / update by same member
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:00 pm

I recently paid for a L class trip and upgraded with cash for an economy plus seat. I just learned of status matching and was matched to platinum via my delta status. If I haven't flow yet, how can I get that cash back for the economy plus seat upgrade? now that it's free.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Generally E+ fees are nonrefundable unless you cancel the flight (or UA is unable to provide the seat). You can try to ask an exception via the normal refund process.
fluffyonion likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Generally E+ fees are nonrefundable unless you cancel the flight (or UA is unable to provide the seat).
We'll give you partial credit for that answer. Here are the rules straight from united.com:
Refunds for Economy Plus purchases are processed automatically after scheduled departure in the event of flight cancellation or change to a different flight, when travel is completed in a standard United Economy seat, or when travel is completed in a seat of equal or greater value through the purchase of a premium cabin seating offer.
fluffyonion likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Hi,

I've never booked single PNR for multiple travelers.

1. What is the best procedure (same PNR? same ITIN? and how practically to do it), where me is Gold and the other one without status, and the target is of course to allow the +1 premier check in, boarding etc.?

2. Does the award miles and PQM accumulated on the single FF account assigned to the PNR, or it's per passenger?

Thanks,
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mikethe1
1. What is the best procedure (same PNR? same ITIN? and how practically to do it), where me is Gold and the other one without status, and the target is of course to allow the +1 premier check in, boarding etc.? ....
When booking online, you select the number of passengers and later you will be asked for the names.
To be on a single PNR, the itinerary (including routing, fare class, ...) has to be identical. If not, you will have to be separate PNRs.
If on a single PNR, the non-elites will have most of the same benefits as you have. Include bag waiver, premier access, boarding, .... And for Gold, you can guest one companion into E+ at booking.

Originally Posted by mikethe1
2. Does the award miles and PQM accumulated on the single FF account assigned to the PNR, or it's per passenger?
The award miles(RDMs) and PQMs accumulated to the passenger if they have a UA MP account.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:51 pm

Basic Economy UA booking for someone trying to earn miles on another *A carrier? If I am aiming to earn miles on another *A program on an UA Basic Economy fare, are there any adverse consequences that I should be aware of? Of course I know that there cannot be any advance seat reservations and no free checked baggage even if I am a *G member on the other carrier, but is there likely to be some unseen hazard that jeopardizes my mileage earning?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
Of course I know that there cannot be any advance seat reservations and no free checked baggage even if I am a *G member on the other carrier, but is there likely to be some unseen hazard that jeopardizes my mileage earning?
You get free checked bag (BE doesn't affect checked bag policies or fees at all) and can also bring a normal carry-on if you are *G. And you'll board with Group 2. Just no seat selection and no ticket changes.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...c-economy.aspx

"You're not allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a ... Star Alliance™ Gold member."

"Basic Economy fares have the same checked baggage policies as standard Economy tickets."
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
Basic Economy UA booking for someone trying to earn miles on another *A carrier? If I am aiming to earn miles on another *A program on an UA Basic Economy fare, are there any adverse consequences that I should be aware of? ....
UA's N fare class is non-mileage earning for many*A programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.