Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:29 am
tyc

Programs: UA GS MM
Originally Posted by helvetic
In the future, don't wait for your luggage in HKG; go wherever you need to go and buy things as necessary. UA should reimburse you for reasonable costs and once your luggage arrives in HKG they'll deliver it to you anywhere in the world, regardless of where you are. I just had delayed luggage in SYD arrive after I had already left for MEL. It eventually caught up with me when I got to BKK…

As for maximizing compensation:

1) email customer care separately about the outbound and inbound issues. stick to the facts (delay / cancellations / etc)

2) separately claim compensation for any expenses caused by the delayed luggage

3) if your credit card has delayed baggage insurance, claim there too
Thank you.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GretelNick
TATL flight to East Coast. Upgraded V fare. 4-hour delay due to mechanical reasons, (cost us the upgrade waitlist for the short connecting flight). FA announced the appreciation site. It's offering $175 or the miles equivalent. Is this reasonable?
Reasonable is your decision.
It is fairly standard. Delays of 3 hours (and sometime 4 hours) generally get nothing.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
Sounds good WineCountryUA - it's reasonable to me. Just wanted to make sure it's not an inconsistent offer before accepting.

Mrs. GretelNick and I (on split PNRs) were offered different amounts. She's a general member and was offered $125 ($50 less than I was). Is that also pretty standard?

Last edited by GretelNick; Jan 23, 2017 at 12:22 pm
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Mrs. GretelNick and I (on split PNRs) were offered different amounts. She's a general member and was offered $125 ($50 less than I was). Is that also pretty standard?
yes
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
TATL flight to East Coast. Upgraded V fare. 4-hour delay due to mechanical reasons, (cost us the upgrade waitlist for the short connecting flight). FA announced the appreciation site. It's offering $175 or the miles equivalent. Is this reasonable?
TATL from where? What was your delay at the final destination? If from the EU and over 4 hours delay to final destination then you should look into EU261, if from Switzerland then probably not worthwhile.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
Originally Posted by televisor
TATL from where? What was your delay at the final destination? If from the EU and over 4 hours delay to final destination then you should look into EU261
Interesting. From EU to US. First flight (TATL) departed 4+ hours late, arrived 3.5+ hours late. Rebooked connecting flight also delayed, so that final destination arrival was 5+ hours later than itinerary.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA
Sounds good WineCountryUA - it's reasonable to me. Just wanted to make sure it's not an inconsistent offer before accepting.

Mrs. GretelNick and I (on split PNRs) were offered different amounts. She's a general member and was offered $125 ($50 less than I was). Is that also pretty standard?
Yes but ask for equal amounts ($175) if/when you accept.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Platinum
Silver status.

EDI to EWR - Wifi/Video not working. Proactively offered $100 or 5000 miles.
EWR to GSP - flight canceled due to compounded aircraft delays due to late inbound flight crew on previous legs. Rebooked on flight the next morning that arrived 12 hours after original flight. By email offered $75 or 3750 miles.

Just wanted to post to add information to the thread.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Weird compensation

My 1K friend got $150 voucher from customer care. He boarded the plane with Group 1. At the end of boarding, GA gave out the same seat to someone else. He felt embarrassed by GA's and FA's action. Further, he was re-assigned to E-. I did not suggest him to complain about it. He did it anyway, got $150. 😨
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Kmxu
My 1K friend got $150 voucher from customer care. He boarded the plane with Group 1. At the end of boarding, GA gave out the same seat to someone else. He felt embarrassed by GA's and FA's action. Further, he was re-assigned to E-. I did not suggest him to complain about it. He did it anyway, got $150. 😨
Nice to see UA is responding well in 2017
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
3h48m domestic mainline mx delay, emailed 1Kvoice and got $150.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Original itinerary was 2 segments both A fare. 1h20min mx mainline delay caused misconnect to UAX. Rebooked on next UAX flight (CRJ145 so no F cabin) which went mx as well, then crew timed-out. New crew and eventually reached destination 5 hours late. Emailed 1K, $200 ETC
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:52 am

Promised Compensation has not shown up

I won't go how bad my flight experience was, but the United Supervisor at the airport worked out compensation with me, including an exact number of miles. He even sent me an email that evening (heck, I even got the contact information for the other people that witnessed the agreement). It has now been over a month and I haven't seen the miles in my account or heard anything more. Suggestions on next steps beyond filling out the United online customer care form?.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by 4espresso
I won't go how bad my flight experience was, but the United Supervisor at the airport worked out compensation with me, including an exact number of miles. He even sent me an email that evening (heck, I even got the contact information for the other people that witnessed the agreement). It has now been over a month and I haven't seen the miles in my account or heard anything more. Suggestions on next steps beyond filling out the United online customer care form?.
Welcome to FT 4espresso. There is a wiki above the first post on each page, click and expand it. I would suggest that you send a copy of the email via the United Contact Page that is appropiate for your Status. Complete the same along with a short concise non emotional note requesting the miles that you were promised per the attached email. Good luck and let us know how it turns out..
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:24 am

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I should be entitled to compensation (I've yet to contact United).
I was flying MIA->EWR->GLA, the flight from MIA->EWR was 4 hours late so I was going to miss my flight from EWR. The alternatives offered by United would all have resulted in 12 hour plus delays. Instead I got my travel agent to book and pay me on a BA flight which arrived in GLA only an hour later than my original flight. The travel agent cancelled the United flight but as the cost of one-way was the same as return they didn't get any money back.

Can I claim compensation from United as the flight was to the EU?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.