Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:38 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Flying IAH-FRA today in business. Just for fun checked the upgrade list as well as those on alternative flights that were offered to me as SDC.

There were a number of flights, including ours, where there are only 1 to 3 pax on the upgrade list but with 8-10 available seats in PE and J. This was after check in, so a pretty accurate assessment.

My question is….how cheap can cash upgrade offers get in situations like this. From E to PE, E to J, and PE to J?

thinking about rolling the dice for this time next year.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by prometa
Did the PQP basis for the changed leg increase? ...
No in both cases and would have not expected it to. This was an upgrade fee, a Premium Cabin Upgrade (PCU) fee with an issued 016xxxxxxxxxxx number, which has post separately for PQPs in the first case. The second case is in the near future.

It sounds like supervisors are refaring the ticket on an override at the lowest available bucket at the cost you would be OOP with the upgrade. If so, that suggests UA back end issue and not issue with your MP account or CC.
It was clearly a back end issue as the card was charged each time and then refunded by UA.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No in both cases and would have not expected it to. This was an upgrade fee, a Premium Cabin Upgrade (PCU) fee with an issued 016xxxxxxxxxxx number, which has post separately for PQPs in the first case. The second case is in the near future.
Bizarre situation where online doesn't work, front end agent doesn't work, but supervisor can process via the normal PCU pathway. To me that suggests something like automatic fraud detection algorithm or something unwinding the purchase after it's made, because I can't envision a database/backend issue that a supervisor could override but that would break the web interface and lock out a front line agent. Many years ago I had an issue with an upgrade and called in and they transferred me to web support. They were happy to chit chat with me about the cause of the issue while they fixed it for me.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 1:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Bizarre situation where online doesn't work, front end agent doesn't work, but supervisor can process via the normal PCU pathway. ....
The normal PCU process failed--I got multi-PCU billings and confirmations but it was then refunded and cancel
For this last one, my receipt lists 4 refunded PCUs and 1 successful PCU which occurred after some magic by supervisor
Old Oct 24, 2023, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Just got offered a DOD upgrade to business for CDG-EWR for me and mrs_dergon at $650 each .... took it
Old Oct 24, 2023, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Received $285 offer to upgrade to Premium Plus on EWR-LAX 2 months ahead of time, took it and got my $50 preferred seating cost refunded immediately (my pqp calculation was off). Hopefully this helps clear some plus points into a good polaris seat as long as UA doesn't do a swap...scheduled on a 772 but currently serviced by 757-2, FWIW now offered $540 to upgrade to J.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
Received $285 offer to upgrade to Premium Plus on EWR-LAX 2 months ahead of time, took it and got my $50 preferred seating cost refunded immediately (my pqp calculation was off). Hopefully this helps clear some plus points into a good polaris seat as long as UA doesn't do a swap...scheduled on a 772 but currently serviced by 757-2, FWIW now offered $540 to upgrade to J.
What's your status? EWR to LAX is slightly easier than EWR to SFO, but EWR to LAX has less capacity. 752 has no PE, and the 772 you are referring to are likely going to be HD with 2-4-2 config up front.

$285 + $540 = $825 depending on your original fare, you could be paying more if you had bought business outright, especially months in advance.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 2:57 pm

Location: Was once BA Gold, Fallen to BA Blue, and humble UA peasant
Hi all,

Traveling UA 940 11/10 EWR-LHR, confirmed in PP (A) and coughed up the $$ for a 20k + $450 to Business. I see in advanced it's PZ0. I no longer have status, but have the MP credit card. Are my odds reasonable?

Also, I did a paid upsell on the return leg to PP, is that refundable if my main ticket (mileage award) is?

Thanks
Old Oct 24, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Just got offered a DOD upgrade to business for CDG-EWR for me and mrs_dergon at $650 each .... took it
Wow, congrats, that's quite a good price. Were you booked in regular economy?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
What's your status? EWR to LAX is slightly easier than EWR to SFO, but EWR to LAX has less capacity. 752 has no PE, and the 772 you are referring to are likely going to be HD with 2-4-2 config up front.

$285 + $540 = $825 depending on your original fare, you could be paying more if you had bought business outright, especially months in advance.
It's actually the 1-2-1 config which is the only reason I thought I may stand a chance! I'm silver, but a 1k friend applied his PP to my rez after buying up to A fare. My original V fare ticket was $404 apparently, which puts me at $689 out of pocket. PE goes for 724 now, J is $1,158. Definitely won't pay up to J, just hoping the plus points come through.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Gorby
Hi all,

Traveling UA 940 11/10 EWR-LHR, confirmed in PP (A) and coughed up the $$ for a 20k + $450 to Business. I see in advanced it's PZ0. I no longer have status, but have the MP credit card. Are my odds reasonable?

Also, I did a paid upsell on the return leg to PP, is that refundable if my main ticket (mileage award) is?

Thanks
Hope this helps.

Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
It's actually the 1-2-1 config which is the only reason I thought I may stand a chance! I'm silver, but a 1k friend applied his PP to my rez after buying up to A fare. My original V fare ticket was $404 apparently, which puts me at $689 out of pocket. PE goes for 724 now, J is $1,158. Definitely won't pay up to J, just hoping the plus points come through.
The good news is a random December (Dec 12) sample flights has no 777HD on the schedule; although still more than half of daily flights (5 out of 9) on 752. So, if you have 772, then you should be good for now.

You have the upper hand with being in PE, and the gifted PP would place you above all economy pax except those with GS points. The only downside, you would be behind those with higher status (than Silver) in PP, especially when if it comes down to the last few remaining seats.

I wish you best of luck and safe travels.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:19 pm

Location: Was once BA Gold, Fallen to BA Blue, and humble UA peasant
Hope this helps.
it does, thank you. Still 2+ weeks out so a lot can change.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
The good news is a random December (Dec 12) sample flights has no 777HD on the schedule; although still more than half of daily flights (5 out of 9) on 752. So, if you have 772, then you should be good for now.

You have the upper hand with being in PE, and the gifted PP would place you above all economy pax except those with GS points. The only downside, you would be behind those with higher status (than Silver) in PP, especially when if it comes down to the last few remaining seats.

I wish you best of luck and safe travels.
Thanks! Currently enjoying my arrangement of using guest of honor for my friend and he let's me use his plus points . Will be sad when he leaves his company in january 😅
Old Oct 28, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Strategy Help

Hello friends,

I haven't done this before, so I appreciate your strategy help.
I'm flying from LAX to ZUR in mid November. United has flights that go through EWR, ORD, and IAD. The seat maps for business class on the international segment are about 1/3 full from all three connecting airports. In expert mode, I'm seeing J3 available on the EWR-ZUR leg, J9 available on the IAD to ZUR leg, and J7 available on the ORD-ZUR leg.
I'm wondering what my best strategy is for getting a decent cash upgrade offer. Does anyone have any wisdom about which connecting airport would be best?
Should I buy a cash economy ticket (refundable for 24 hours) and see what the immediate cash upgrade purchase price is at checkout?
Should I reserve a saver economy ticket using miles and wait to get a cash upgrade offer?

Thanks for any suggestions. Just to make things exciting, I need 4 seats, which I know will be tough. Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.