Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2023, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Rochester, NY of all places. They sat across from me (E75).
Wow. It's debatable whether the pairs in F on the E75 are any better than the pairs in E+. I actually prefer 6C/D if traveling as a couple - better pitch.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow. It's debatable whether the pairs in F on the E75 are any better than the pairs in E+. I actually prefer 6C/D if traveling as a couple - better pitch.
Agreed; although no idea where their original seats were.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA*G
Hi! Thoughts on $375 for PP on FRA-SFO? My boyfriend and I are currently in a row by ourselves in E+, but thinking that will likely change by the time we fly (8/16). I know they say PP comes with bedding, amenity kits and plated dishes/drinks – can any recent travelers confirm? If not, I think I'd rather hold off and wait to see if the Polaris buy-up drops (currently $3,565).

Thanks much!
Old Jun 29, 2023, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by BeeTran
Hi! Thoughts on $375 for PP on FRA-SFO? My boyfriend and I are currently in a row by ourselves in E+, but thinking that will likely change by the time we fly (8/16). I know they say PP comes with bedding, amenity kits and plated dishes/drinks – can any recent travelers confirm? If not, I think I'd rather hold off and wait to see if the Polaris buy-up drops (currently $3,565).

Thanks much!
We did the $375 for PP SFO-FRA in May and felt it was definitely worth it over economy/E+ . We got bedding, amenity kits and upgraded/plated food compared to eco. Do you still get offered buy ups to Polaris if you end up taking the PP upgrade? If it were me I would do PP, and cross your fingers for Polaris later cause I wouldn't be confident on that.
BeeTran likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:56 pm

I currently have 3 XN tickets IAH-SFO-HND, leaving in four days. Cash upgrade SFO-HND from PE to PP is $300 each. If I purchase the cash upgrade, is it possible to apply PlusPoints to upgrade to business? I am a first time 1K. I thought that using PP on award tickets is not allowed, but from what I am reading, the cash upgrade will take me to a O/A/R fare, thus allowing me to use Pluspoints? Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 2, 2023, 7:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Irazabul
I currently have 3 XN tickets IAH-SFO-HND, leaving in four days. Cash upgrade SFO-HND from PE to PP is $300 each. If I purchase the cash upgrade, is it possible to apply PlusPoints to upgrade to business? ...
Yes, presently your new fare code probably will be R and PlusPoints can than be applied.
It is a quirk in the system, could change in the future, but works today (or at least yesterday).
Old Jul 4, 2023, 8:54 pm

Booked premium economy with miles for SFO > CPH (layover ZRH) and CDG > SFO nonstop. Cost to upgrade is:
SFO > CPH: $760 to upgrade
CDG > SFO: $1052 to upgrade

Any thoughts on whether this is “worth it?” Looks like I don’t have the option to upgrade with miles so these are cash upgrades for flights in August. I’ve seen the SFO > CPH leg upgrade drop down to 4-something on some days. If I had to choose one leg to upgrade, it’d be CDG >SFO since it’s nonstop but wondering if that price will drop at all…? Curious for thoughts and what you’d do with this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by foodie22
Booked premium economy with miles for SFO > CPH (layover ZRH) and CDG > SFO nonstop. Cost to upgrade is:
SFO > CPH: $760 to upgrade
CDG > SFO: $1052 to upgrade

Any thoughts on whether this is “worth it?” Looks like I don’t have the option to upgrade with miles so these are cash upgrades for flights in August. I’ve seen the SFO > CPH leg upgrade drop down to 4-something on some days. If I had to choose one leg to upgrade, it’d be CDG >SFO since it’s nonstop but wondering if that price will drop at all…? Curious for thoughts and what you’d do with this.
Unfortunately, I can't tell you what you think may be 'worth it', as I don't know what your income is (someone who makes 7 figures a year is going to be way more willing to spend money on an upgrade than someone who makes 5, etc), how well you sleep sitting upright in Y, etc. However, I can tell you that personally, of all of the options, if I could only upgrade one segment, the one I'd do would be SFO-ZRH because it's the only overnight trip. It's also the cheapest (on a '$/hour' basis).
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 6:57 pm

Cash-only upgrade offer from Premium Plus to Polaris

My premium economy ticket is A and my wife's ticket is R. We have separate cash-only upgrade offers to Polaris Business for $450 and $770, respectively. I want to make sure there is availability for both of us. I have to upgrade two tickets minutes apart.
Which fare class is being offered to us?

Here are the available fare classes for that flight:J5 JN5 C5 D5 ZO ZNO PO PNO PZO INO 09

ON9 A5 RO RNO Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9

HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 LO KO GO XN9

15 IN5 C5 D5 ZO ZNO PO PNO PZO INO 09 ON9 A5 RO RNO Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 LO KO GO XN9

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GreenDiceLiu; Jul 5, 2023 at 7:03 pm Reason: Add screenshot
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by GreenDiceLiu
My premium economy ticket is A and my wife's ticket is R. We have separate cash-only upgrade offers to Polaris Business for $450 and $770, respectively. I want to make sure there is availability for both of us. I have to upgrade two tickets minutes apart.
Which fare class is being offered to us?

Here are the available fare classes for that flight:J5 JN5 C5 D5 ZO ZNO PO PNO PZO INO 09

ON9 A5 RO RNO Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9

HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 LO KO GO XN9

15 IN5 C5 D5 ZO ZNO PO PNO PZO INO 09 ON9 A5 RO RNO Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 LO KO GO XN9

Thanks in advance.
Don't understand the question. Cash upgrade offers clear you into the specified cabin - e.g. premium economy to business. Fare class is irrelevant.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Fare class is irrelevant.
I want to make sure there are two seats of that fare class available. Hate to upgrade one ticket and then find out that was the last seat for that fare class. It is my understanding the ticket availability is based on the fare class. I thought it would be either PN or PZ but both PN and PZ shows zero tickets available.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GreenDiceLiu
I want to make sure there are two seats of that fare class available. Hate to upgrade one ticket and then find out that was the last seat for that fare class. It is my understanding the ticket availability is based on the fare class. I thought it would be either PN or PZ but both PN and PZ shows zero tickets available.
Paid upgrades are not limited to any specific fare class and will generally clear into the lowest available non-zero bucket. It looks like you’ve done a connecting flight search, though — you need to search just for the segment in question to see the information you’re looking for.

That said, UA can (and often will) recalculate the inventory (and, thus, most likely, the upgrade cost) every time a ticket purchase is made, so even if you see n>=2 in the lowest non-zero Polaris inventory bucket, the cost of the second upgrade might change after you buy the first one.
VRFast likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
That said, UA can (and often will) recalculate the inventory (and, thus, most likely, the upgrade cost) every time a ticket purchase is made, so even if you see n>=2 in the lowest non-zero Polaris inventory bucket, the cost of the second upgrade might change after you buy the first one.
Thanks for the helpful info. I will recheck the specific segment. It is crazy that the upgrade cost can change instantly. I probably should have not booked two separate tickets to begin with. Saving $200 does not seem to worth the trouble.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and VRFast like this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: UA MM
Anyone have pricing experience with a buyup on IAD-DUB? Flight is in late September and UA is quoting me $1223 for PE(R) to J. Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Paid upgrades are not limited to any specific fare class and will generally clear into the lowest available non-zero bucket. It looks like you’ve done a connecting flight search, though — you need to search just for the segment in question to see the information you’re looking for.

With UA's continuous pricing pilot, the available inventory of the lowest available non-zero bucket is even more opaque now, as it was in OPs screenshot (selling Z with Z0). AFAIK there is no hard and fast "bucket one up must be >X" to start to get inventory in the 0 bucket. You can see that here too-- D5Z0, but selling Z. A5R0, but selling only A (though there could be a fare restriction on R)
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.