Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2023, 9:41 am

Upgrade Strategies

Booked on EWR->HNL on 5/27. First class cabin has 13 seats open on the chart, expert mode says J8. I don't have any status.

I booked a refundable B fare that priced about $200 more than the cheapest available refundable fare in order to apply for a miles upgrade without the co-pay. This seemed to be a good deal since the difference was about the same as the cost of Economy Plus (which I planned to buy anyway) and the B fare included it.

Right now the cash buy up to first is $1,550 which is too high. If United lowers the buy up price will the price be different depending on the fare class purchased? In other words, if a non-refundable lower-fare class economy fare is available, would I get the same buy up price if I cancelled my B fare for a refund, purchased the cheapest available (non BE fare) and then paid for a cash upgrade?
Old May 22, 2023, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by ObieGrad
Booked on EWR->HNL on 5/27. First class cabin has 13 seats open on the chart, expert mode says J8. I don't have any status.
Short answer: your chance of being upgraded with miles co pay or plus points is NONE
The assigned AC has 34J (retrofitted), 25 seats are sold, currently there are 20 pax waitlisted for upgrade, if you must sit up front, then you need to pay whatever UA is asking for upgrade.
Best Advise: Grab that 18F, since this AC is equipped with premium economy cabin, and most likely you will end up sitting in premium economy (purple seats) cabin w/o paying for it, but keep an eye within the next 2-3 days for an email stating seating config swap, first 4 rows will be prem eco 2 2 2.

Last edited by UAFAM; May 22, 2023 at 10:59 am
Old May 22, 2023, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Right now the cash buy up to first is $1,550 which is too high. If United lowers the buy up price will the price be different depending on the fare class purchased? In other words, if a non-refundable lower-fare class economy fare is available, would I get the same buy up price if I cancelled my B fare for a refund, purchased the cheapest available (non BE fare) and then paid for a cash upgrade?
Can't predict. UA sometimes prices the upgrade based on the price to upgrade your ticket, and sometimes it's calculated based on the the underlying fare differential, without regard to your specific fare.
Old May 22, 2023, 11:49 am

Thanks! The upgrade list isn't available for the flight yet on United's site. Is there a way to see it?

In any case do you think 18 K/L will be treated the same as 18F?
Old May 22, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks! The upgrade list isn't available for the flight yet on United's site. Is there a way to see it?
With no status, I'm afraid there's no chance for an upgrade on this route. Within a week of departure, you should be able to see the list on the website's flight status page through the change the date trick.
Old May 22, 2023, 12:19 pm

In any case do you think 18 K/L will be treated the same as 18F?
Those are even better, but still keep an eye on email/text from UA regarding seat map swap (I usually get them around 4 am), system may not automatically re-assign you to Prem Eco rows, so you need to be proactive and may need to call UA to get re-assigned to those seats.
Old May 22, 2023, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by UAFAM
Those are even better, but still keep an eye on email/text from UA regarding seat map swap (I usually get them around 4 am), system may not automatically re-assign you to Prem Eco rows, so you need to be proactive and may need to call UA to get re-assigned to those seats.
Thanks - changed the date and yeah... not getting upgraded. This is super helpful info though I'll keep an eye on this.
Old May 22, 2023, 11:49 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I bought a couple upgrades at time of purchase for SFO-ABQ-SFO, a couple months ago. I'm booked in D class on both segments.

I now see there has been a minor schedule change on the outbound, and a major (3 hour) on the return.

The website prompts me to do a free change, but the only $0 options are for Y.

I think this is mostly hypothetical, because the new flights are still likely the best option (though the return might be too early now).

However, the wiki only mentions transferring upgrades for voluntary changes, not involuntary.

If I were to call about the return (3 hour change), would they rebook me into D on a different routing (likely ABQ-DEN-SFO)? Or am I completely hosed if I can't fly that early?

Last edited by canadiancow; May 22, 2023 at 11:56 pm
Old May 24, 2023, 2:11 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Family member did SFO-TLV this week. Upgrade at online check-in was a cool $4699, looked like 2 seats available.
Old May 24, 2023, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by slariz
With still 2 weeks to go and that few number of seats, the prices will only rise.
Ended up getting lucky with a price drop for premium plus for 375pp the day prior!
Old May 24, 2023, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Is the system a bit out of wack currently?

I had an offer for a July LAX-EWR flight for $1600 to business with only 5 seats "occupied" on a 787-10. Instead of taking the upsell offer I changed the ticket from a non-refundable "T" to outright "P" for $460.

Shouldn't the system see that there is a dramatically cheaper fare available and price the offer lower than the fare difference?
Old May 24, 2023, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Merolis
No more than it's ever been.

Shouldn't the system see that there is a dramatically cheaper fare available and price the offer lower than the fare difference?
You would think. But it doesn't. People have been posting these anomalies for literally years.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by zeer0
Family member did SFO-TLV this week. Upgrade at online check-in was a cool $4699, looked like 2 seats available.
That's cheap. A couple of months back on EWR-TLV I had over $9k at check in. And that was from a PE fare.
Old May 25, 2023, 10:28 am

Programs: miles plus

I had an offer for a July LAX-EWR flight for $1600 to business with only 5 seats "occupied" on a 787-10. Instead of taking the upsell offer I changed the ticket from a non-refundable "T" to outright "P" for $460.

Yes

Still keep checking For a paid upgrade to have my wife join me in pp ( see my post 1679)

My wife travels with a wheeled portable oxygen machine. Not the walk around style that one sees tv ads for, it does fit under the seat in front about the size of under seat carryon and she only needs it at night.

She called to ask for United’s recommendations on how to travel with it, got a very nice rep who move all her seats to Econ plus at no charge!

I was in seat BOI- SFO I was in 10d they put her in 10a.
Seat in front 9a opens up I move to it, now i am in front of her. Seating is 2-2. Then I check again 9b opens up finally we have one leg where we can sit together.

So early this morning 1am. Online I try moving her cost 66$.
I start a text chat did not know that can be done!

first UA response “I can not move her”

then “ I can move her but it is 66 the seat you want is EP.”

I am like wow wait, i moved 10d EP to 9a EP no charge but you want me to pay 66 to do exactly the same for her. 10a is aEP seat!

My wife is 10a EP to move her to 9a you want to charge her?

Then I texted magic words I never knew existed

“This is why I hate flying United. Thank you have a good night!

United seems to make up rules as it goes along. Talk to 3 people get 5 different answers!”

Next text reply problem solved she’s moved we have 10 a and b!

It was better than a Harry Potter spell.

What I found is by texting you have an actual record of exactly what was said , that should a problem arise you can present a record of the deal that was made.

Still only miles up grade to PP, on SFO-HDN no money offers we leave tues. She is close just on the other side of the wall two rows back in EP.

Why does United make this so hard. 2019 same trip I flew delta comfort plus all the way. It was too late for the agency to make a booking, so I booked my own air! I moved my seats at least a 1/2 dozen time even paid for a first class up grade SEA - BOI! Delta was way less for a class higher.
Ericka likes this.

Last edited by bermudai; May 25, 2023 at 10:39 am
Old May 25, 2023, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bermudai
Yes

Still keep checking For a paid upgrade to have my wife join me in pp ( see my post 1679)

My wife travels with a wheeled portable oxygen machine. Not the walk around style that one sees tv ads for, it does fit under the seat in front about the size of under seat carryon and she only needs it at night.

She called to ask for United’s recommendations on how to travel with it, got a very nice rep who move all her seats to Econ plus at no charge!

I was in seat BOI- SFO I was in 10d they put her in 10a.
Seat in front 9a opens up I move to it, now i am in front of her. Seating is 2-2. Then I check again 9b opens up finally we have one leg where we can sit together.

So early this morning 1am. Online I try moving her cost 66$.
I start a text chat did not know that can be done!

first UA response “I can not move her”

then “ I can move her but it is 66 the seat you want is EP.”

I am like wow wait, i moved 10d EP to 9a EP no charge but you want me to pay 66 to do exactly the same for her. 10a is aEP seat!

My wife is 10a EP to move her to 9a you want to charge her?

Then I texted magic words I never knew existed

“This is why I hate flying United. Thank you have a good night!

United seems to make up rules as it goes along. Talk to 3 people get 5 different answers!”

Next text reply problem solved she’s moved we have 10 a and b!

It was better than a Harry Potter spell.

What I found is by texting you have an actual record of exactly what was said , that should a problem arise you can present a record of the deal that was made.

Still only miles up grade to PP, on SFO-HDN no money offers we leave tues. She is close just on the other side of the wall two rows back in EP.

Why does United make this so hard. 2019 same trip I flew delta comfort plus all the way. It was too late for the agency to make a booking, so I booked my own air! I moved my seats at least a 1/2 dozen time even paid for a first class up grade SEA - BOI! Delta was way less for a class higher.
Probably better to fly Delta then.

David
bermudai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.