Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
MXP-EWR April 2

PDB

Attachment 30270

Nuts - forgot there was no wine flight offered on AM TATLs; in fact, wine is not offered at all; it's like ordering an off-cart cocktail; so I went with champagne

Name:  MXP-EWR Nuts.JPG
Views: 1772
Size:  117.7 KB

Salad-app

Name:  MXP-EWR Salad-App.JPG
Views: 1762
Size:  134.9 KB

Main - went with the lamb chops. I had high hopes for this main based on prior reviews, and the presentation looked good as it was placed on my tray.

Name:  MXP-EWR Main.JPG
Views: 1776
Size:  117.2 KB

Alas, it was a fatty, gelatinous mess. I won't call it "disgusting", a ridiculously overused word on this forum to describe perfectly edible albeit not perfect food ("disgusting" would be if they placed a bowl of, say, raw sewage on your tray), but it was not very good and I only had a few bites.

Name:  MXP=EWR Main Cut.JPG
Views: 1751
Size:  114.4 KB

Cheese - needed for a change after the lousy main

Name:  MXP-EWR Cheese.JPG
Views: 1756
Size:  102.7 KB

Sundae and macaron

Name:  MXP-EWR Dessert.JPG
Views: 1710
Size:  118.0 KB

Mid-flight snack - pretty good hot eggplant dish

Name:  MXP-EWR Mid.JPG
Views: 1721
Size:  125.7 KB

Prolly not worth its own photo but also got a bag of chips

Name:  MXP-EWR Chips.JPG
Size:  103.6 KB

Pre-arrival beverage (Greek white, I believe) which I managed to order just before the pre-arrival meal service, since UA has the perplexing and annoying schedule of offering a beverage only after they've dropped off the pre-arrival meal, and usually only when you're already close to finishing it

Name:  MXP-EWR PAB.JPG
Size:  72.0 KB

Pre-arrival meal of warm chicken with rice and cream of mushroom soup; not bad.

Name:  MXP-EWR PAM.JPG
Views: 1723
Size:  120.3 KB

All in all, aside from the lamb miss, not too bad. Incidentally, the bread basket re-emerged for both the main and pre-arrival services, but only from the crew working rows 1-5 (alas, I was in row 6; no bread basket from the mid-galley crew serving rows 6-8)
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
I had the Arapaima on last night's UA907 ORD-FRA flight. It definitely needed more of the miso-glaze or some accompanying soy sauce, as both it and the noodles were on the bland side. That said, I thought the fish itself was good. Yes, it is on the meatier side, but had a nice mild flavor.

The French Burgandy they served was a really nice accompaniment (I couldn't bring myself to have the Greek wines).

The Purser agreed with me that the Chicken Fusion Noodle Soup was the best meal he has had on any airline. Hopefully United puts it back in the rotation soon.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
So far, the short ribs seem the only dish that is consistently good.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by rflor
I couldn't bring myself to have the Greek wines.
I thought the Greek wines were quite interesting and I found the red quite nice. For the white, I think Doug Frost describes it as very floral, and boy, he wasn't kidding.

The French burgundy was good also, but I couldn't bring myself to even taste the Riesling; as soon as someone describes a wine as only slightly sweet, I'm out.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
So far, the short ribs seem the only dish that is consistently good.
Afraid not. Two-thirds of the time it's good. One-six of my short rib meals were tough, grisly. And one-sixth were fatty.

There is no consistency on United. That's what makes traveling with them interesting (to me).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Nice to see an optional pasta course back on flights ex-MXP (and assuming FCO) in the form of a mid flight snack. I'd ask for that eggplant as my Primi Piatti.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
Originally Posted by transportprof
+1
Those who find eating a burger in Polaris beneath their dignity can always order the Arapaima or the Hapuka. Those names will be the best things about these respective meals, but at least they can escape the ignominy of having to eat the food of the working class!
I was merely pointing out that a while back in the late 90's actually if you ordered a kids meal in FC TPAC it was a cheeseburger.
Now,If you want a little more detail ,it was carefully re heated after being delicately unwrapped from the aluminum foil where it had spent the majority of its life. I have not been in the Polaris lounge and thus not tasted the burger my comment was merely to highlight that burgers used to be a part of INTL meal options for kids.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 14, 2017 at 12:02 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Was surprised to see the sundae replaced by mango sorbet served in its paper carton on today's UA7 (IAH-NRT). Sorbet is fine but they could at least serve it in the glass dish vs individual paper cartons.

It was still sundaes when I did this flight a few weeks ago.

Have others had no sundaes on USA-NRT?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
Was surprised to see the sundae replaced by mango sorbet served in its paper carton on today's UA7 (IAH-NRT). Sorbet is fine but they could at least serve it in the glass dish vs individual paper cartons.

Had sundae 3 days ago
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade

I had the sorbet in the carton UA79 EWR-NRT on 4/13. The FA said it was a mistake but if you had it on IAH I am thinking this is an intentional downgrade. Very surprising since they specifically talk about their Sundaes in Polaris advertisements.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
texas gold posted in the Polaris in-flight experience thread that the sundaes were temporarily unavailable due to breakage of the bowls. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28185662-post1328.html
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sjmoss23
I had the sorbet in the carton UA79 EWR-NRT on 4/13. The FA said it was a mistake but if you had it on IAH I am thinking this is an intentional downgrade. Very surprising since they specifically talk about their Sundaes in Polaris advertisements.
In SIN-SFO today the purser said it was a change and the sundae is gone. Time to write in and complain
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
In SIN-SFO today the purser said it was a change and the sundae is gone. Time to write in and complain
Here is the reply I got from Global Services

"Ice cream in bowls has been removed as a dessert offering in premium cabins where scheduled. This is being done as a safety precaution due to isolated reports of cracked dishware. We’re boarding packaged ice cream/mousse as a temporary substitution, and flight attendants will continue to offer all other provisioned desserts.

Thank you for your support while we are working on identifying a more permanent solution for our premium customers."
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I thought the Greek wines were quite interesting and I found the red quite nice. For the white, I think Doug Frost describes it as very floral, and boy, he wasn't kidding.

The French burgundy was good also, but I couldn't bring myself to even taste the Riesling; as soon as someone describes a wine as only slightly sweet, I'm out.
i liked both greek wines, the white was extremely floral but i didn't mind that.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: None anymore
Why don't they go back to the old bowls? The ice cream sundae is the only reason why I bother flying business....

Just kidding, but I love eating the sundaes. This is a bummer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.