Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Slurve30
I had the duck SFO-HKG this month. It was one of the best UA dishes I have had in a long time and something and I would not hesitate to order again on the ground.
Ok thanks for the feedback well I guess opinions are officially split on this dish. Haven't heard a peep yet out of the short rib option this month but if you are flying out of lets say ORD then I think you go duck because I think they serve short rib out of the lounge so no sense in having it twice in 1 night.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Great plating and presentation from the galley. ^

Hopefully tasted as good as it looked?
+1. Also wondering how the food tasted since in general, I find catering out of PEK to be sub par. And that's on all airlines, not just UA.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by 1kBill
+1. Also wondering how the food tasted since in general, I find catering out of PEK to be sub par. And that's on all airlines, not just UA.
I would say PEK catering facility definitely needs improvement.

I understand SQ, NH and other Asian based carriers carry their return flight meals from their home base to get around serving sub par meals made by the PEK facility. I have noticed some European airlines also do the same.

North American Airlines are not able to do the same due to the length of the flights. I do notice the improvement on the Polaris meals out of PEK.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Mar 16, 2017 at 4:46 am
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Wow interesting out of what airport? This is now more negative duck reviews so yea I think the short rib may be the way to go this cycle for the Polaris carnivores out there.
IAD/NRT , In general after 5 TPACS since the launch I am generally underwhelmed by the Polaris food product and service in the premier cabins, it is still highly inconsistent, for me the best addition has been the improvement in the the mid flight service as I rarely eat the second meal,. I find it much better than the previous strategy of gathering what was left from the first service and sticking it on a tray.
I wished though they had just focused on improving the quality and consistency of the main dishes rather than adding cakes/chocolates and silly plastic drink cups , most Americans don't need any more refined sugar and reverting to pre plated bread and packaged crackers was disappointing....personal view
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: UA
ORD-MUC, my bread was just as cold as it would have been in economy.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
March 8 PEK-SFO Flight
Polaris Business? or Polaris First?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Polaris Business? or Polaris First?
Polaris Business. They only difference between the first and business is a cup of soup and perhaps different appertizer pending on the routes.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Approx How long does the "new polaris" meal service take? With the old way, it usually took approx 3hrs from wheels up til I finished my sundae and I nearly always sit in a bulkhead seat. Then they wake you up 1.5hrs before landing for breakfast. So if I want a good 7hrs sleep, the minimum flight time is 11.5hrs and that's assume the meal service isnt delayed by turbulence. The "new polaris" is supposed to focus more on sleep so I hope that they will have increased the speed of the service.

I know there is the "executive" dining option, and I've tried it but there are two issues. Its quite noisy during the service so I can't really sleep. I can't get my sundae early because I guess its still frozen so I have to wait and have it 3hrs later anyways and that's the only item I'll never skip.

Last edited by eng3; Mar 12, 2017 at 9:49 am
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by eng3
Approx How long does the "new polaris" meal service take? With the old way, it usually took approx 3hrs from wheels up til I finished my sundae and I nearly always sit in a bulkhead seat.
Service last week on my SFO-ICN flight took 2 hours. I was in 6H on a 744, so one of the first to be served.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Service last week on my SFO-ICN flight took 2 hours. I was in 6H on a 744, so one of the first to be served.
2hrs from wheels up is a great improvement. Hope that is standard across all intl flights and not a one off
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I had the duck ex-ORD last week - I thought it was pretty good.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: MPlus,OW,Hotels.com
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Polaris Business. They only difference between the first and business is a cup of soup and perhaps different appertizer pending on the routes.
X 2 , better seat and $1000 bowl of soup
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by tryintogohome
X 2 , better seat and $1000 bowl of soup
Don't forget the cocktail snack with the nuts and post-takeoff beverage service, refill of nuts from a metal ramekin, and choice of salad dressing ladled onto your salad by the FA! 😉 On a more substantial note, it is also true that the wine list is totally different and nicer for F. I actually very much enjoy the Ayala 2007 Champagne in F compared to the Joseph Perrier NV in J. Plus, you have fewer people competing for the San Pellegrino in F!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I had the char siu duck this past Saturday on UA58 SFO-FRA. I quite liked it but then I'm a big fan of duck in general. Thought the sautéed bok choy garnish was quite tasty as well.

Service was quite efficient on the flight with professional if not overly friendly service. Was able to maximize sleep on the redeye over.

Last edited by SFOdelayed; Mar 14, 2017 at 11:28 am
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 2MM
On SFO-TPE last month, sitting in UD on B747, it took an hour for first drink order to arrive, then lunch service started.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.