Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

2017 Let's Eat - Polaris First & Polaris Business

Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:02 pm
  #241  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 10,269
Originally Posted by jasonp622
Miso-glazed arapaima with soy beurre blanc, green tea soba noodles, bok choy, carrot and daiko.

looks like they are using a fancier word for the amazon cod
Yeah, I had to google it.

I like the wikipedia blurb: The arapaima, pirarucu, or paiche are any large species of bonytongue in the genus Arapaima native to the Amazon...

I would have like to seen "Miso-glazed bonytongue" on the menu...
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:23 pm
  #242  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC: UA 1K, DL Platinum, AAirpass, Avis PC
Posts: 4,599
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
You had this already this month? Can you give us your thoughts on the dish?
Yes - thought it was one of the best dishes I've had on a plane.

It's more like a French duck magret with honey than Asian in style. I think changing the name to magret would make it more appealing on the European routes.

Really generous duck breast that wasn't overcooked, apples on the side, and a nice swiss chard with pancetta. There was a subtle hint of spice, but not so overpowering you'd say this was an Asian dish.

It might be too salty for some tastes, but I'm a savory lover and a duck fan in general.

Liked it so much I had a second one instead of the breakfast service on arrival.
cerealmarketer is offline  
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:51 pm
  #243  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,913
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Yes - thought it was one of the best dishes I've had on a plane.

It's more like a French duck magret with honey than Asian in style. I think changing the name to magret would make it more appealing on the European routes.

Really generous duck breast that wasn't overcooked, apples on the side, and a nice swiss chard with pancetta. There was a subtle hint of spice, but not so overpowering you'd say this was an Asian dish.

It might be too salty for some tastes, but I'm a savory lover and a duck fan in general.

Liked it so much I had a second one instead of the breakfast service on arrival.
Wow thanks for the review! I guess we know what most people will be ordering now. Did you have the soup over the winter? If so is it in that same league where essentially everyone who had it loved it?
ASUDan130 is offline  
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:22 pm
  #244  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC: UA 1K, DL Platinum, AAirpass, Avis PC
Posts: 4,599
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Wow thanks for the review! I guess we know what most people will be ordering now. Did you have the soup over the winter? If so is it in that same league where essentially everyone who had it loved it?
I had the soup and enjoyed this one more because I'm more of a traditionalist but the soup was very good.

Was in row 4 and the FA was pushing it because no one was ordering it! Duck isn't something that everyone's familiar with. She was excited because it was "the first time in 8 years" they've had duck.
cerealmarketer is offline  
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:19 pm
  #245  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 11,497
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
United must be making lemon farmers happy since revamping its menu!

I have seen more lemons (and limes) served on "Polaris" flights (9 so far in 2017) than the entire 2016 in United Business.
I love lemon/lime and always order extra ones for seafood appetizers and fish entrees!

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Wonder if there is something off about FRA / outstations with Polaris? Or something off about my taste buds??
FRA catering sometimes creates nasty stuff. Always great food and never been disappointed out of ZRH though - for years on my half dozen flights annually.

Originally Posted by jasonp622
looks like they are using a fancier word for the amazon cod
How does that compare to regular cod!
cesco.g is offline  
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:47 am
  #246  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA ExecPlat & 1MM/DL Plat/HH Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Posts: 2,951
How is the Japanese meal ex-DEN? Flying DEN-NRT and haven't flown UA to NRT in years. I've been lucky to enjoy many Japanese meals on NH over the past few years and already lowering my expecations...
TWA Guy is offline  
Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:29 pm
  #247  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 21,910
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
How is the Japanese meal ex-DEN? Flying DEN-NRT and haven't flown UA to NRT in years. I've been lucky to enjoy many Japanese meals on NH over the past few years and already lowering my expecations...
I don't remember anyone mentioning the Japanese meals after Polaris kicked in. If you do get it, please get some pictures back to the forum. Pre Polaris the Japanese meals had deteriorated to being pretty miserable.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:15 am
  #248  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,913
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I had the soup and enjoyed this one more because I'm more of a traditionalist but the soup was very good.

Was in row 4 and the FA was pushing it because no one was ordering it! Duck isn't something that everyone's familiar with. She was excited because it was "the first time in 8 years" they've had duck.
Hmm while I appreciate the glowing endorsement. Just read a comment in the Polaris flight experiences thread on a guy flying EWR-MAD saying how awful the duck was. Conflicting info as it was better than the soup apparently which was received well across the board but we are already seeing very negative feedback towards the duck. Maybe its just EWR catering? Isn't ORD typically the best UA catering station in the US?
ASUDan130 is offline  
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:08 am
  #249  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Posts: 9,127
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I don't remember anyone mentioning the Japanese meals after Polaris kicked in. If you do get it, please get some pictures back to the forum. Pre Polaris the Japanese meals had deteriorated to being pretty miserable.
My brother flew IAH-NRT a couple days ago. Here are his pictures of the Japanese meal from the flight. He said it was extremely good. I would be excited if Chilean sea bass was on the menu, too!



Menu page



Appetizers



Entree
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:24 am
  #250  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 21,910
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
My brother flew IAH-NRT a couple days ago. Here are his pictures of the Japanese meal from the flight. He said it was extremely good. I would be excited if Chilean sea bass was on the menu, too!



Menu page



Appetizers



Entree
Thanks. Looks like a big improvement. Though they could still do something more for the presentation.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:47 am
  #251  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Posts: 9,127
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Thanks. Looks like a big improvement. Though they could still do something more for the presentation.
I would venture to guess that the picture of the sea bass was taken mid-meal (plate does not seem as full as I would think).
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:59 pm
  #252  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 14,715
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Hmm while I appreciate the glowing endorsement. Just read a comment in the Polaris flight experiences thread on a guy flying EWR-MAD saying how awful the duck was. Conflicting info as it was better than the soup apparently which was received well across the board but we are already seeing very negative feedback towards the duck. Maybe its just EWR catering? Isn't ORD typically the best UA catering station in the US?
Ergh. I have a flight coming up soon and the conflicting duck stories confuse me. It sounds good from a menu description though, so maybe I'll take one for the team
findark is offline  
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:08 pm
  #253  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,913
Originally Posted by findark
Ergh. I have a flight coming up soon and the conflicting duck stories confuse me. It sounds good from a menu description though, so maybe I'll take one for the team
Same here! When is your flight? Please report to use your analysis. So far we have 1 overwhelming positive duck endorsement and 1 negative. Regarding the short rib there was a prominent blog saying it was not good last month. However, it had different ingredients but in all likelihood the same cheap cut of meat. To me it doesn't look great at all and looks overdone which how short rib is generally prepared. Here is that Polaris short rib review for your reference:

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...-first-review/
ASUDan130 is offline  
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:24 pm
  #254  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey
Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Posts: 3,250
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Same here! When is your flight? Please report to use your analysis. So far we have 1 overwhelming positive duck endorsement and 1 negative. Regarding the short rib there was a prominent blog saying it was not good last month. However, it had different ingredients but in all likelihood the same cheap cut of meat. To me it doesn't look great at all and looks overdone which how short rib is generally prepared. Here is that Polaris short rib review for your reference:

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...-first-review/
I had the duck FRA-EWR last month. Put me down as negative, as it was overcooked. YMMV, depending on the preparation.
tarheelnj is offline  
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:27 pm
  #255  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 14,715
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Same here! When is your flight? Please report to use your analysis. So far we have 1 overwhelming positive duck endorsement and 1 negative. Regarding the short rib there was a prominent blog saying it was not good last month. However, it had different ingredients but in all likelihood the same cheap cut of meat. To me it doesn't look great at all and looks overdone which how short rib is generally prepared. Here is that Polaris short rib review for your reference:

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...-first-review/
Tomorrow night, although I'm not sure when I'll get time to post about it.

I've had just about every variant of short rib that UA can cook up on domestic flights, and I'm generally very happy with it. Like someone said upthread, unlike finer cuts of beef it's very resilient to the rough handling of airline catering, so I've pretty much never been disappointed. But I think I'll go with the duck: can always have a grilled cheese and soup if it's a dud.

Also, is the "duck char siu" the same as last month's duck? I thought there was a change of menu this month.
findark is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.