Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1353513636
United does not have a lounge in PVG. There is a Star Alliance Gold lounge near Gate 71 (United flights leave from 80s gates typically), which are <5 minute walk. Lounge is up escalator and past a food court and perched over the landside part of the terminal. It has no views.

Entry floor has a bar with a decent selection of liquor. Upper floor has buffet food with limited selections. Wifi and newspapers available. Showers available (4 stalls at least).

related thread
Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong
Print Wikipost

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Visited this lounge last week and my take is similar as many recent reviews: major upgrade, quite a nice lounge on the whole actually. My only complain is the annoying wifi password policy (can get via SMS if you have a Chinese phone, but otherwise need to go get a password from the agent). It's not THAT big a deal, but I don't understand why they can't make it easier (or at least proactively offer the password info when checking your boarding pass).
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:11 pm

Was at the new PVG CA lounge around dinner time a couple weeks ago. Very nice food - steak, 2 types of fish, chicken, variety of vegetables, different types of noodles, rice, congee, egg rolls, dessert cakes, cold cuts/cheese spread - all made very well.

Major upgrades all around to furniture, plenty of seating, and a couple TV rooms - one of which I used for my toddler to watch cartoons.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Visited this lounge last week and my take is similar as many recent reviews: major upgrade, quite a nice lounge on the whole actually. My only complain is the annoying wifi password policy (can get via SMS if you have a Chinese phone, but otherwise need to go get a password from the agent). It's not THAT big a deal, but I don't understand why they can't make it easier (or at least proactively offer the password info when checking your boarding pass).
Password no longer required (just logged in here in the CA lounge), but internet bandwidth is throttled significantly.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:50 pm

I think I'm screwed. I'm flying from hkg to sfo . The flight has a stop over in pvg. I was just told I need to go through immigration to claim my luggage. I have 2 hrs top. What can I do now?

The flight is Cathay to United. Fwiw

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 1, 2014 at 6:13 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Lets get your language correct.

You aren't making a stopover, you are making a connection.

When you check-in with Cathay in Hong Kong, they should be able to check your luggage through to SFO on United. Bring a printout of your itinerary.

You might need to visit the transfer desk in Hong Kong to get your United boarding pass but you should not need to enter China (other than for transit).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
No need to panic. Call Cathay and ask them if the interline baggage with United. They certainly used to and probably still do. At PVG you will go to the international connections counter, show your checked luggage tag from CX and get a boarding pass.

FYI, the airlines CX interlined with in 2012:

CX-160 CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS (as of Aug 2012)

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO AA AB AC AE AF AH AI AM AS AT AV AY AZ BA BD BG BI BL BP BR B6 B7 CA CI CM CO CZ DL EI EK ET EY FI FJ FM GA GF GN HG HM HR IB IC IG IR JC JJ JL JO JP JQ JU KA KC KE KF KL KM KQ KU KW LA LG LH LO LP LR LX LY MD ME MF MH MI MS MU MX NF NH NU NX NZ OA OK OM OS OU OZ PG PK PR PS PX QF QR RA SA SB SC SK SN SQ SU SV S7 TA TG TK TM TN TP UA UL UN US UU VN VS VX WS WY W5 XL ZH 4M 9W
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:57 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The problem is with PVG, where you do need to reclaim baggage while transiting for most airlines. With CX and UA, you do need to go through immigration, pick up your bag, and bring it upstairs for check-in with UA. And go through immigration exit procedures.

2 hours is cutting it close.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:47 am

Are you on one ticket? I would ask them to make a note in the PNR (for both CX and UA) that you are connecting to UAxx.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
If it's anything like PEK, that is cutting it very close. Last weekend at PEK there were 2 agents for literally hundreds of pax needing the xfer desk. Many, many missed connections.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:09 pm

i would either take an earlier CX flight to PVG or get on the nonstop HKG-SFO on United.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
I am flying ORD-PVG on UA and then connecting to Dragonair to HKG, all on same ticket, so 2h45m should be fine, right?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:22 pm
CFU

Also since you are coming from Hong Kong be prepared for delays due to "flow control" as they are calling it ;-) China has a massive airspace congestion problem with only 20% of all airspace available for commercial and 1.3 billion chinese constantly on the move with a large proportion travelling to Hong Kong for shopping tours, the usual delays between Shanghai and Hong Kong are 1-2h and more.

I am flying between these two cities weekly and last year i accumulated a total of 116h sitting in an airplane, waiting for delayed departure due to missing clearance by air traffic control. And yes they make you sit and wait in the plan rather than at the terminal.

Next advice, prepare everything for your immigration respectively 72h transit visa.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The problem is with PVG, where you do need to reclaim baggage while transiting for most airlines. With CX and UA, you do need to go through immigration, pick up your bag, and bring it upstairs for check-in with UA. And go through immigration exit procedures.

2 hours is cutting it close.
This.

I have connected between different airlines in PVG several times and I have always had to reclaim and recheck baggage.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
PVG Connection: NH to NZ

Related Question:

I have a ticked Mileage Plus Award ticket for an upcoming trip with a connection at PVG. The transit time is 2h5min, with a routing of NRT-PVG (NH) then PVG-AKL (NZ), all in the same ticket.

1. Per previous posts, it appears that I will need to clear customs/immigration, collect luggage, and then re-check in with NZ, check luggage, and go through customs/immigration. Can anyone confirm this?

2. I think I have read that 120 mins is a legal connection. Technically I have 125 minutes. Can anyone confirm that this is legal and realistic? I'll be traveling in business class, for what it's worth.

3. If the connection is too tight, would I have any leverage with UA to open up a seat the night before on NRT-PVG to minimize risk of misconnect? I recognize this is a long shot….

Curious if anyone has any experience, particularly connecting NH to NZ. Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cgo111
3. If the connection is too tight, would I have any leverage with UA to open up a seat the night before on NRT-PVG to minimize risk of misconnect? I recognize this is a long shot….
UA cannot open award space on partner airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.