Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1353513636
United does not have a lounge in PVG. There is a Star Alliance Gold lounge near Gate 71 (United flights leave from 80s gates typically), which are <5 minute walk. Lounge is up escalator and past a food court and perched over the landside part of the terminal. It has no views.

Entry floor has a bar with a decent selection of liquor. Upper floor has buffet food with limited selections. Wifi and newspapers available. Showers available (4 stalls at least).

related thread
Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Hello, lately have had good luck with using other Star Alliance lounges with F ticket. Not sure on the PVG layout? Coming in the airport itself did not look promising. How is the UA GS lounge, if not good any star alliance alternatives?

I know some say you can not access star alliance F lounges with a UA boarding pass, but I do it all the time with a smile and a friendly conversation about star alliance.

Also for the record; most international lounge staff are very friendly. It is the US lounges that operate like they are guarding the vault of fine art and valuables that must not be gazed upon.

TIA
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SeisSpeed
Hello, lately have had good luck with using other Star Alliance lounges with F ticket. Not sure on the PVG layout? Coming in the airport itself did not look promising. How is the UA GS lounge, if not good any star alliance alternatives?

I know some say you can not access star alliance F lounges with a UA boarding pass, but I do it all the time with a smile and a friendly conversation about star alliance.

Also for the record; most international lounge staff are very friendly. It is the US lounges that operate like they are guarding the vault of fine art and valuables that must not be gazed upon.

TIA
UA does not operate any lounge at PVG.

Not sure what you are talking about re F access. A UA GF boarding pass will get you access under *A rules to *A F lounges. The exceptions are OS, TG, LH, and LX.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

If you were flying out of PVG on an F ticket aboard UA what lounge would you advise to a FT member on their first flight out of PVG?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There is only one option, the Shanghai Airlines (FM) lounge. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-merged-9.html
MilesorBust likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:23 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
If you were flying out of PVG on an F ticket aboard UA what lounge would you advise to a FT member on their first flight out of PVG?
Originally Posted by Kacee
There is only one option, the Shanghai Airlines (FM) lounge. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-merged-9.html
And don't get your hopes up. The difference between the C and F lounge in Shanghai is minuscule, and I put them both on par with a domestic United Club with slightly better food (a hot noodle dish, a rice dish, and some packaged snacks). I fly out of PVG 5-6 times a year, and it's by far my least favorite lounge, C or F, out of all lounges I personally visit in a year. YMMV
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
And don't get your hopes up. The difference between the C and F lounge in Shanghai is minuscule, and I put them both on par with a domestic United Club with slightly better food (a hot noodle dish, a rice dish, and some packaged snacks). I fly out of PVG 5-6 times a year, and it's by far my least favorite lounge, C or F, out of all lounges I personally visit in a year. YMMV
The only difference I've spotted are the drinks. The water on the F side is Evian and Perrier, and it's regular water on the C side. Also, there are some more premium liquors on the counter. Also, no one guards the F/C divide so it's perfectly plausible that C passengers will enter too. At least there's real food and a noodle bar.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by 1353513636
The only difference I've spotted are the drinks. The water on the F side is Evian and Perrier, and it's regular water on the C side. Also, there are some more premium liquors on the counter. Also, no one guards the F/C divide so it's perfectly plausible that C passengers will enter too. At least there's real food and a noodle bar.
I don't see many people getting in there without a FC boarding pass or invite. When you are greeted at the entrance of the lounge the attendant usually turns and subtly says first class in Chinese to the agents behind the counter next to the entrance. I have seen them stop passengers who were not announced this way and asked to show their boarding passes and then directed to the right lounge.

Not that there is a world of difference, but it is less crowded and if you want hot noodles you can always go to the business class lounge and get it. The white wine they serve in the FC lounge is especially vile.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler

Expectations lowered.

It is better that way why rush to experience mediocrity.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:25 pm

Expectations lowered.

It is better that way why rush to experience mediocrity.

Thanks for the heads up!
My SOP is to get to PVG at T-70. This allows sufficient time for checkin and border control, but minimizes my lounge/concourse time.
Old May 2, 2014, 8:12 pm

I have a somewhat silly question, but I tried googling and I couldn't find it.

Last November, I was flying United from PVG to SFO. I'm United Gold so I tried to get access to the lounge. I somehow was sent to this area that was literally a balcony area above the terminals (like a food court atmosphere). I can't remember the name of the airline lounge, but I'm pretty sure it was some Star Alliance "lounge." I put lounge in quotes because it really was like a food court area with some couches.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's been driving me crazy because since then I've been able to access the Air China lounge. I just don't know where I ended up that one time. Was I so out of it that I just walked into some random smaller airline lounge?
Old May 2, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elnina
I have a somewhat silly question, but I tried googling and I couldn't find it.

Last November, I was flying United from PVG to SFO. I'm United Gold so I tried to get access to the lounge. I somehow was sent to this area that was literally a balcony area above the terminals (like a food court atmosphere). I can't remember the name of the airline lounge, but I'm pretty sure it was some Star Alliance "lounge." I put lounge in quotes because it really was like a food court area with some couches.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's been driving me crazy because since then I've been able to access the Air China lounge. I just don't know where I ended up that one time. Was I so out of it that I just walked into some random smaller airline lounge?
The *A lounge finder for PVG just shows a contract lounge on the second floor near gate 77. Could that be it?
Old May 2, 2014, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
The *A lounge finder for PVG just shows a contract lounge on the second floor near gate 77. Could that be it?
The shanghai airlines lounge is your only choice and it still sucks.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA GS / MM
Originally Posted by Baze
Yes, that's it. Not the best lounge but much better than UC @ SFO, with hot food and cold drink and sleeping.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by GS8101
Yes, that's it. Not the best lounge but much better than UC @ SFO, with hot food and cold drink and sleeping.
You must be thinking of a different place than the rest of us! If not please provide advice about the secret good food and sleep options.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA GS / MM
Originally Posted by moondog
You must be thinking of a different place than the rest of us! If not please provide advice about the secret good food and sleep options.
I only know one lounge operated by Shanghai Airline. Not sure your standard of good food, but hot noodle soup plus some salade, as mentioned upthread, is good enough for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.