Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1353513636
United does not have a lounge in PVG. There is a Star Alliance Gold lounge near Gate 71 (United flights leave from 80s gates typically), which are <5 minute walk. Lounge is up escalator and past a food court and perched over the landside part of the terminal. It has no views.

Entry floor has a bar with a decent selection of liquor. Upper floor has buffet food with limited selections. Wifi and newspapers available. Showers available (4 stalls at least).

related thread
Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong
Print Wikipost

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In both of the above instances, if the flights into PVG are on time it will be no problem to clear customs, collect luggage and make connections in time. If the arriving flights are delayed then you'll be stuck in Shanghai for a while and dealing with irregular ops is not a speciality of the Chinese. I'd look for a re-route that avoids PVG or get on an earlier flight to give you more of a cushion.

NRT-PVG is generally an on time flight but HKG-PVG is generally delayed.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:25 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. I realized that I should have gave an update yesterday. As PTahCha pointed out, connecting (sorry about the term) flights in PVG requires going through custom and immigration. It is tight but I made it. I believe if you are flying one of the China airlines, it maybe be okay.

I guess I got lucky, my flight touched down a few minutes early. Even though I need to take the ground shuttle to get inside the airport, the line for immigration is relatively short and I walk past custom without anything to declare. Once I got out, I just need to check in like every local passengers do.

One thing important is I should have my itinerary with me. Fortunately, I have it on my phone but it was tight. As the immigration expects me to have a ticket which I don't. Cathay won't issue it, even though United supposed to be its OneWorld partner.

Another thing is that if you are bringing anything not allowed or subject to duty in China. I don't know how that would work out. Fortunately, it does not apply to me.

Now I have a stamp in my passport saying that I have been to China. I don't know if it is because of that, my luggage went through extra inspection in US custom.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Glad it worked for you!

Originally Posted by kash
Cathay won't issue it, even though United supposed to be its OneWorld partner.
UA is in Star Alliance, not OneWorld. CX has never been able to print a UA boarding pass for me.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:51 pm

Oops. My mistake.

But I've tried online check-in with United the day before. After entering ticket number, it told me I need to print boarding pass with its partner airline.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: Globalist Hyatt, Platinum AA, Platinum Delta
This seemed like the most updated thread on PVG connections, so I wanted to reach out to you all and any who's had experience.

In a few days, I will be going LAX-PVG (layover 6 hrs)-SIN in to PNRs
The lax-pvg PNR is UA, and PVG-SIN PNR will be SA.
I'm pretty sure I can have UA in LAX to check my bag all the way through, but from the replies and experiences above, and reading PVG's website, it still appears once I arrive PVG, I have to collect my checked baggage and then go through immigration and re-check the bags, correct?

Thank you for any insights!

K
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Speedis1
This seemed like the most updated thread on PVG connections, so I wanted to reach out to you all and any who's had experience.

In a few days, I will be going LAX-PVG (layover 6 hrs)-SIN in to PNRs
The lax-pvg PNR is UA, and PVG-SIN PNR will be SA.
I'm pretty sure I can have UA in LAX to check my bag all the way through, but from the replies and experiences above, and reading PVG's website, it still appears once I arrive PVG, I have to collect my checked baggage and then go through immigration and re-check the bags, correct?

Thank you for any insights!

K
Do you mean SQ - Singapore airlines, for the PVG-SIN itinerary?

Or does South African Airways really fly from Shanghai to Joburg via Singapore?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: Globalist Hyatt, Platinum AA, Platinum Delta
Hahaha good catch. SQ is what i meant
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I have my first connection at PVG coming up next month. Just want to clarify the transfer process with carry-on only bags.

UA to TG with 2.5 hours of connection time.

Anyone with experience on how this works?

My guess is immigration stamp and security screen. Is there a dedicated area for this that bypasses customs/baggage claim?

I assume 2.5 hours is plenty of time (assuming UA can arrive on time)? This will be late afternoon 2:50PM to 5:20PM.

Thanks for any advice/experiences.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Who cares!!!!! Kidding...I'm sure it's still there. But from now on, even if not flying *A, I'm going to do all I can to get into the new CA Lounge....
Which raises a good question, and I apologize if this is a *A Lounge Access 101 question. I am a paid UC member, but flying China Southern from PVG, can I use my UC membership card to get into the new Air China lounge, or do I need to fly *A regardless of paid lounge status to get into a *A lounge?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Which raises a good question, and I apologize if this is a *A Lounge Access 101 question. I am a paid UC member, but flying China Southern from PVG, can I use my UC membership card to get into the new Air China lounge, or do I need to fly *A regardless of paid lounge status to get into a *A lounge?
UC membership AND departing *A BP is required for admission to *A (non-UA) lounge.
Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
In addition to what WineCountryUA said, the bigger issue is that CZ and UA use different terminals at PVG so there is no way to use the CA lounge in conjunction with a CZ flight.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
In addition to what WineCountryUA said, the bigger issue is that CZ and UA use different terminals at PVG so there is no way to use the CA lounge in conjunction with a CZ flight.
This is news to me. Since when has CZ moved terminals at PVG?
I remember that CZ flies into Terminal 2 (same as UA does).
Terminal 2 has a domestic departure/arrival section (the lower floor), an international arrival section (the middle floor) and an international departure section (the upper floor).
As a normal passenger you cannot just switch between these floors easily.

but flying China Southern from PVG
its not clear, whether you fly out to a domestic or international/HK/Macau/Taiwan destination.
If you fly domestic, you will never have a chance to get to the shiny new international CA lounge.
There is still the domestic Air China lounge in Terminal 2. But if you fly CZ, I do not think they will give you access.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
This is news to me. Since when has CZ moved terminals at PVG?
I remember that CZ flies into Terminal 2 (same as UA does).
Terminal 2 has a domestic departure/arrival section (the lower floor), an international arrival section (the middle floor) and an international departure section (the upper floor).
As a normal passenger you cannot just switch between these floors easily.
Ah, you're right. I was getting them confused with MU/FM (Monday brain freeze).
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UC membership AND departing *A BP is required for admission to *A (non-UA) lounge.
Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy
Rats - I hope I can find something to do at PVG without lounge access.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Does anyone have a link for the Air China Lounge at PVG. Do *Gold Members in Coach have access as well? Thanks and Safe Travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.