Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1353513636
United does not have a lounge in PVG. There is a Star Alliance Gold lounge near Gate 71 (United flights leave from 80s gates typically), which are <5 minute walk. Lounge is up escalator and past a food court and perched over the landside part of the terminal. It has no views.

Entry floor has a bar with a decent selection of liquor. Upper floor has buffet food with limited selections. Wifi and newspapers available. Showers available (4 stalls at least).

related thread
Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong
Print Wikipost

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
PVG - International to International connection

Not sure if there's a better thread to ask this. I'm looking to understand if there's any issues with my plan to connect Intl-Intl at PVG with 2h 40m connection on separate tickets. I believe both carriers operate from PVG T2.

Both flights business class.
  • Flying EWR-PVG on UA86, arriving Fri 10/4 1:40pm
I need to connect to (on a separate ticket). I will have checked bags (I assume I'll need to collect and recheck).
  • PVG-ICN on Asiana OZ366 departs 4:20pm
Is this a reasonably safe plan? I'm not familiar at all with PVG.
On separate tickets I'd go the next morning. PVG isn't terrible for transfers, but you're subject to the vicissitudes of whatever inbound delay might occur. I'd never book a 2h40m connection on separate tickets anywhere, except maybe for domestic US, and that's in view of the ability to plead for mercy to an agent in person.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

PVG - International to International connection

Not sure if there's a better thread to ask this. I'm looking to understand if there's any issues with my plan to connect Intl-Intl at PVG with 2h 40m connection on separate tickets. I believe both carriers operate from PVG T2.

Both flights business class.
  • Flying EWR-PVG on UA86, arriving Fri 10/4 1:40pm
I need to connect to (on a separate ticket). I will have checked bags (I assume I'll need to collect and recheck).
  • PVG-ICN on Asiana OZ366 departs 4:20pm
Is this a reasonably safe plan? I'm not familiar at all with PVG.
Did you look into connecting at other places or flying nonstop from JFK? Not that it really matters, but I'm angling to not be in mainland China at all that week (70th anniversary of PRC).
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
On separate tickets I'd go the next morning. PVG isn't terrible for transfers, but you're subject to the vicissitudes of whatever inbound delay might occur. I'd never book a 2h40m connection on separate tickets anywhere, except maybe for domestic US, and that's in view of the ability to plead for mercy to an agent in person.
Thanks. Yes, I'll act on that advice and fly the next morning.

Originally Posted by moondog
Did you look into connecting at other places or flying nonstop from JFK? Not that it really matters, but I'm angling to not be in mainland China at all that week (70th anniversary of PRC).
I was meant to be in China 8 days. I still need to be there for 5 days (after the hop over to Seoul and back).
My EWR-PVG ticket has been booked for months, and includes other segments after. Too much hassle to change it (and I want the UA PQD/PQM).
Only now has work asked me to hop over to Seoul and back, before I pick up my planned trip to China.
I had no idea about the 70th Anniversary of PRC.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:04 pm

Got you. In that case, I would probably also avoid the same day connection, though I'm guessing the airport will be a ghost town on 10/4.

For the flight to Seoul the following day, I suggest you at least entertain flying SHA-SEL because SHA T1 is a dream compared to PVG, and there aren't any decent hotels near PVG except for Disney, which is going to be slammed that week.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was meant to be in China 8 days. I still need to be there for 5 days (after the hop over to Seoul and back).
My EWR-PVG ticket has been booked for months, and includes other segments after. Too much hassle to change it (and I want the UA PQD/PQM).
Only now has work asked me to hop over to Seoul and back, before I pick up my planned trip to China.
I had no idea about the 70th Anniversary of PRC.
I'd fly the next morning to reduce the likelihood of any problems.

That said, if you are planning to re-enter China a couple of days later, and you are on a US passport, I highly recommend getting a 10-year multiple-entry visa for China rather than try to do TWOV. While, technically, your itinerary is valid for TWOV in both directions, provided you don't leave the greater Shanghai area and you are on non-stop flights to a third country in each direction, trying to turn a non-TWOV compliant trip into two TWOV-compliant trips may raise some red flags.

For a US citizen, the cost for the multiple-entry visa is the same as the cost for a single-entry visa. The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is if they'd question you for staying just one night on a business visa. Is there a client / co-worker dinner you could arrange upon your arrival?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'd fly the next morning to reduce the likelihood of any problems.

That said, if you are planning to re-enter China a couple of days later, and you are on a US passport, I highly recommend getting a 10-year multiple-entry visa for China rather than try to do TWOV. While, technically, your itinerary is valid for TWOV in both directions, provided you don't leave the greater Shanghai area and you are on non-stop flights to a third country in each direction, trying to turn a non-TWOV compliant trip into two TWOV-compliant trips may raise some red flags.

For a US citizen, the cost for the multiple-entry visa is the same as the cost for a single-entry visa. The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is if they'd question you for staying just one night on a business visa. Is there a client / co-worker dinner you could arrange upon your arrival?
Where did he mention TWOV?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where did he mention TWOV?
Here:
Thanks, I'll check out other forums/threads. I'm thinking its probably safer to just take a PVG-ICN flight the next morning. That would give me 17+ hrs to connect, which I think allows me to enter china and stay at a hotel without a visa?
​​​​​​​
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Here:
​​​​​​​Ah, okay. Based on "8 days in China" I assumed he had (or would get) a visa. Now that the plan is only five days in China, he could presumably do TWOV twice, but I agree getting a visa is a no brainer, especially if you can expense the costs.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:10 pm

Ok, so I will actually have a multiple entry visa for China, obtained due to business meetings I'm attending in China. I was trying not to complicate my question too much, while also thinking about the technicalities of my wife traveling with me (as a tourist). I figured I would be ok regardless, and hoped she could do a <24hr transit, then do a separate <144hr visit. But I accept that could be a risky strategy. If she can get some kind of multiple entry tourist visa then I'll pursue that.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Ok, so I will actually have a multiple entry visa for China, obtained due to business meetings I'm attending in China. I was trying not to complicate my question too much, while also thinking about the technicalities of my wife traveling with me (as a tourist). I figured I would be ok regardless, and hoped she could do a <24hr transit, then do a separate <144hr visit. But I accept that could be a risky strategy. If she can get some kind of multiple entry tourist visa then I'll pursue that.
10-year Multi entry tourist visa is standard for US Passports now. At least it was in 2016 and 2018.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:23 pm

Your wife can do TWOV as many times as she pleases, and your nested trip to Korea works. The only downside I can think of is that she'll technically be restricted to Shanghai, Jiangsu, and Zhejiang. I say "technically" because slipping up to Beijing for a day or two would be pretty easy, as long as she didn't register with a PSB while there.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:35 pm

Your wife can do TWOV as many times as she pleases, and your nested trip to Korea works. The only downside I can think of is that she'll technically be restricted to Shanghai, Jiangsu, and Zhejiang. I say "technically" because slipping up to Beijing for a day or two would be pretty easy, as long as she didn't register with a PSB while there.
I think I'll attempt to get a 10yr multiple entry Visa for her since theres a good chance i will go there for business annually and she may join me.
For this upcoming trip we will be remaining in the Shanghai area the whole time.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, Marriott TE, National EE, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
PVG early check-in?

I'm on the late night UA PVG-LAX flight tomorrow night but my last meeting is done in Pudong by lunch. Anyone had any issues checking in at PVG early? I know there is a PVG-SFO flight around lunch so the united desk will definitely be open.

This used to be an issue 10 years ago when I lived in Shanghai, 3 hours before was the max and that's if check-in staff even turned up on time.

And is the lounge any good? I'm GS and in business class in case that makes any difference on the lounge they put me in.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
I flew that flight about a year ago. And until that 3hour mark, the UA checkin desk was completely deserted.
I can't for the life of me remember what the lounge was like.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Lounge info in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...unges-pvg.html

*A Gold. Food is mediocre at best (but better than PEK), but comfort is decent. I believe there's a first class lounge that you may get access to in J (perhaps contract check in staff will give you pass as GS too) - I think it's just emptier, not better.

Also, that thread has this post about checking bags early (A: No): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28842539-post74.html
unitedhandcuffs likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.