Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1353513636
United does not have a lounge in PVG. There is a Star Alliance Gold lounge near Gate 71 (United flights leave from 80s gates typically), which are <5 minute walk. Lounge is up escalator and past a food court and perched over the landside part of the terminal. It has no views.

Entry floor has a bar with a decent selection of liquor. Upper floor has buffet food with limited selections. Wifi and newspapers available. Showers available (4 stalls at least).

related thread
Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong
Print Wikipost

Consolidated PVG connections / connection time / logistics / lounges

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Beleive the late night flight from PVG to SFO is a recent addition, and appears the website has not been updated.
this second SFOPVG flight was launched in Oct 2016 (or is it Sep?)
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
It's not recent, I flew it two Decembers ago.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ecofreak
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
It's not recent, I flew it two Decembers ago.
OK, I was remembering Fall 2017 -- lost track of years.
getagb likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
My experience in PVG is that they won't even let you check in more than 3 hours before flight time. I've tried (unsuccessfully) twice. Really sucks when you have a long connection from another airline since PVG T2 doesn't have transfer facilities.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
UM. What airport? LOL.
PEK: two hours to get through immigration & security, two hours to find a seat in the lounge, and then twenty minutes to get to the gate.

(Just kidding, it takes only ten minutes to get to the gate. )
drewguy likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by dvs7310
My experience in PVG is that they won't even let you check in more than 3 hours before flight time. I've tried (unsuccessfully) twice. Really sucks when you have a long connection from another airline since PVG T2 doesn't have transfer facilities.
My experience also. The agent reported that they might load my luggage on the wrong flight.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by fumje
PEK: two hours to get through immigration & security, two hours to find a seat in the lounge, and then twenty minutes to get to the gate.

(Just kidding, it takes only ten minutes to get to the gate. )
Yeah, 2 hours is the bare minimum and it would probably mean going directly to the gate. I've always aimed for three hours, which usually means 20-30 minutes of wandering around the lounge wincing at the mediocre offerings. In fact, I think check in desk closes at about 5pm for the 6:30 PEK-IAD flight, the last UA departure of the day.

Anyway, as for the PVG flight the website it definitely incorrect - they will remain open to allow checkin. Had this discussion last year in the consolidated connections in PVG thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...l#post28842019
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
We also just experienced this two weeks ago on the 12:30am flight out of PVG to SFO. Also, the premier entrance and the economy entrance to check in were at opposite ends of the long counter and queuing area (which was closed off). Before they opened up for check-in, a very long line formed near the premier entrance to the queuing area (I'm surprised the airport tolerates that since it spills way out of the United counter area). We joined the line and when they finally opened, they directed all the non-premier down to the other end and the line all but disappeared with just a few premier folks in the line. We only recently got status (last December) so didn't know what to expect. No need to stand in that huge pre-opening line after all if you do have some status. And if non-status economy, might as well beat the migration and go queue at the other end.

This is the first time we've taken the midnight flight and we found the jetlag adjustment much easier to handle than earlier flights. Also kinda neat arriving the day before you leave.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by ecofreak
Plus the recently dropped PVG-GUM left around midnight as well.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
PVG no through check on HO/UA

!Hola! Recently I flew a UA ticket 016-issued with HO as first sector. At PVG I need to recover my bag and pass migracion then check in separately for the UA sectors. It is not possible to do this unless you have China visa or your country is accepted for TWOV purpose. I use TWOV but this could be a problem for some. I believed that airside transit is possible at PVG under certain conditions but not this one.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ReinaDeLaSelva
!Hola! Recently I flew a UA ticket 016-issued with HO as first sector. At PVG I need to recover my bag and pass migracion then check in separately for the UA sectors. It is not possible to do this unless you have China visa or your country is accepted for TWOV purpose. I use TWOV but this could be a problem for some. I believed that airside transit is possible at PVG under certain conditions but not this one.
You are correct, there are just a few airlines that participate in direct airside transfer in PVG T2 and most of the time the transfer desk is closed.

However, 24-hour TWOV is available for almost all nationalities and this would allow transfers of this nature.

The longer 144-hour TWOV is only available to 53 nationalities.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:36 pm

PVG - International to International connection

Not sure if there's a better thread to ask this. I'm looking to understand if there's any issues with my plan to connect Intl-Intl at PVG with 2h 40m connection on separate tickets. I believe both carriers operate from PVG T2.

Both flights business class.
  • Flying EWR-PVG on UA86, arriving Fri 10/4 1:40pm
I need to connect to (on a separate ticket). I will have checked bags (I assume I'll need to collect and recheck).
  • PVG-ICN on Asiana OZ366 departs 4:20pm
Is this a reasonably safe plan? I'm not familiar at all with PVG.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
You want to head over to China forum - lots of horror stories about how long it takes and having to go through Immigration.

It was a few years back, but I had to ENTER China and then LEAVE China in order to connect from TG to UA

I thought I was safe with an almost FOUR hour connection, but I almost missed my flight.

It may be different (again, look for PVG connections in China forum), and there are some partner airlines that allow connections without going landside, but UA was not one of them. Maybe they are now, but .......
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
You want to head over to China forum - lots of horror stories about how long it takes and having to go through Immigration.

It was a few years back, but I had to ENTER China and then LEAVE China in order to connect from TG to UA

I thought I was safe with an almost FOUR hour connection, but I almost missed my flight.

It may be different (again, look for PVG connections in China forum), and there are some partner airlines that allow connections without going landside, but UA was not one of them. Maybe they are now, but .......
Thanks, I'll check out other forums/threads. I'm thinking its probably safer to just take a PVG-ICN flight the next morning. That would give me 17+ hrs to connect, which I think allows me to enter china and stay at a hotel without a visa?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
That would give me 17+ hrs to connect, which I think allows me to enter china and stay at a hotel without a visa?
Yes, that's well within the TWOV limit.
FlyingHighlander likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.