Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by sfo3388
TPE-SFO this fall.

Can choose between 19A and 39L. Would I have hard time getting out of 19A when my seatmates are sleeping?

Also my flight has R class available but 7L is the only window and odd-numbered seat left. I know it is near galley and lavatory. Still better than 19A or 39L?
Coach on the 773 is the most uncomfortable experience I have had on an int'l sitting in Y. I had the best E+ seat as well, and it was VERY tight even with normal sized people sitting next to me. Biz class in ANY seat is infinitely better on the 773, and I would buy up to W immediately and use a GPU, or do miles + copay to get up front..... don't think twice.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Coach on the 773 is the most uncomfortable experience I have had on an int'l sitting in Y. I had the best E+ seat as well, and it was VERY tight even with normal sized people sitting next to me. Biz class in ANY seat is infinitely better on the 773, and I would buy up to W immediately and use a GPU, or do miles + copay to get up front..... don't think twice.
I have the opposite view. I did 19A on a full HKG-SFO flight. I didn't notice much difference from any other bulkhead row in the past. I wasn't brushing up against the normal sized person next to me either. In regards to getting out, it can be done if you're slightly flexible and use the bulkhead to hold on to.

Totally agree that Biz > E+ in almost all circumstances. Caveat for when Biz is a recliner and E+ is empty.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Also my flight has R class available but 7L is the only window and odd-numbered seat left. I know it is near galley and lavatory. Still better than 19A or 39L?
So take an odd numbered center if you don't want to be near the lav and galley in 7L.

Is this really a question?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
7L is the only window and odd-numbered seat left.
*currently*. On the few occasions I've been lucky enough to get an upgrade in advance there almost always are seats that open because people change travel plans, often the most desirable seats (I assume another FTer booked well in advance to select good seats and then cancelled). So even if you select 7L now, check back regularly, especially in the last few days before the flight.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by drewguy
*currently*. On the few occasions I've been lucky enough to get an upgrade in advance there almost always are seats that open because people change travel plans, often the most desirable seats (I assume another FTer booked well in advance to select good seats and then cancelled). So even if you select 7L now, check back regularly, especially in the last few days before the flight.
And even at the gate, up to the time of boarding as some passengers miss their connection.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
A thousand times yes, a thousand dollars better, easily.

Some people are sensitive to galley and lav noise, but for most -- I walked up to the mid galley on my 77W flight and I think 7 A/L would be just fine. The actual part open to the galley is much, much further back than the seatmap would have you believe.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by drewguy
Absolutely correct sir.
If I am unable to select my preferred seat when booking I check back (frequently) looking for a better seat location.
That said. IMHO ANY seat in biz is better than E+.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Not sure how to interpret this, but let me try:

You are considering giving up a luxury beach front house to stay in a tiny one-bed room studio apartment in a congested multi-level and multi-unit apartment building with narrow hallways with only one slow elevator...because you are concerned that sunlights may be too strong during sunrise (or sunset) and the noise of the sea may be bothering you........
wilp888, gene2632, drewguy and 9 others like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
TPE-SFO this fall.

Can choose between 19A and 39L. Would I have hard time getting out of 19A when my seatmates are sleeping?

The only time I would ever choose J over E+ is if E+ is completely empty and J has terrible seats (read: non lie-flat seats). Since that won't be the case, you'd be crazy to not take 7L over E+.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UAL250
The only time I would ever choose J over E+ is if E+ is completely empty and J has terrible seats (read: non lie-flat seats). Since that won't be the case, you'd be crazy to not take 7L over E+.
That's a good point but from my experience on flights to and from Asia (the OP is flying from TPE) you never know what the situation will be in E+ until very late in the process: passengers tend to not choose their seats until check-in and they don't check-in until they arrive at the airport.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: Mileage Plus - Executive Club
With my experience 5L Is my fav seat on this plane, not too close to the kitchen and far away from the motors. And great window seat.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
I flew TLV-SFO earlier this week in row 1, i dont know what they were doing in the front gally but for way after the service they were sooooo loud. Im not that tall so next time im going to look at row 3 if available. Ill take the smaller footwells to avoid the possible noise!
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by mike2003242
I flew TLV-SFO earlier this week in row 1, i dont know what they were doing in the front gally but for way after the service they were sooooo loud. Im not that tall so next time im going to look at row 3 if available. Ill take the smaller footwells to avoid the possible noise!
I agree and have stayed away from all four seats in row 1. Row 9 is much better option if one wants larger footwells.

My preference order is row 3, 11 and 9.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
My preference order is row 3, 11 and 9.
IMO row 15 is fine too.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:02 pm

What about row 5? I checked it out on my flight yesterday and it looked like it was far enough from everything... My go to is 9L but likely going with 5L on my return flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.