Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Gold Status, Delta Platinum AMEX, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, SPG Preferred
Originally Posted by KeepItReal
yup! Low and behold;

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...duvet&_sacat=0

UA got themselves into this mess, now lets see how they get themselves out of it. HINT: Its not by making PA announcements to not steal the bedding.
What can they do? Chain the bedding to the seats?

F/A's can start collecting everything before landing but that would be SO MUCH stuff to pick up and audit.

I don't know how many people could have predicted this type of theft from the initial roll out. I certainly am surprised. Maybe it's revenge by passengers who had a bad Polaris experience or mistreated by UA during the merger.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N623DL
What can they do? Chain the bedding to the seats?

F/A's can start collecting everything before landing but that would be SO MUCH stuff to pick up and audit.

I don't know how many people could have predicted this type of theft from the initial roll out. I certainly am surprised. Maybe it's revenge by passengers who had a bad Polaris experience or mistreated by UA during the merger.
well, UA just cant sit back and let these things walk off planes flight after flight. Maybe they can install tiny RIFD's on certain items, similar to what Delta has on its luggage tags, to track the whereabouts of its bedding.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Why is UA getting themselves in this mess?

UA is trying to upgrade its in-flight offerings and hoping to be competitive and win back business travelers.

I think it speaks more of certain segment of United passengers.
If I am working for United and someone told me the idea of a gel cooled pillow the first thought to come to my mind is the theft of such an item. I think it speaks volumes of how much UA management felt they were behind its peers and competitors and needed to play catch-up in a big way. I am sure a regular pillow or two, similar to what Delta hands out, would have been sufficient. I guess UA will have to decide if they want to keep:

1. buying gel pillows
2. Make PA announcements onboard flights to stop stealing bedding (cheesy)
3. Hope it stops by itself
4. Go to something not as snazzy as a gel pillow but then at the same time, you unintentionally lessen the 'Polaris' experience.

UA quite simply in trying to do good, caused this problem.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 22, 2017 at 7:23 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
The time to collect the bedding is at the chocolate truffle delivery moment, when FA's come around to thank you for your business, etc.
Auditing bedding can't be much more cumbersome if it's collected than if it's left distributed around the cabin. The bedding could go into bags which are then locked in the lavs - which are supposed to be locked prior to landing anyway.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by transportprof
The time to collect the bedding is at the chocolate truffle delivery moment, when FA's come around to thank you for your business, etc.
Auditing bedding can't be much more cumbersome if it's collected than if it's left distributed around the cabin. The bedding could go into bags which are then locked in the lavs - which are supposed to be locked prior to landing anyway.
Yep, just collect them after they clear the tables during landing descent. To go one step further, they could warn pax on the menu that they will be charged for it if they choose to take it, just like many hotels already do for towels and pillows.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What does the gel pillow do, keep your head cool or you combine it with the other pillows to prop your head higher?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wco81
What does the gel pillow do, keep your head cool or you combine it with the other pillows to prop your head higher?
It's supposed to not warm up from body heat like a normal pillow. It also has a nice density and contours. Was perfect for behind the head/neck when kicked back watching a movie.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
It may not be Polaris passengers helping themselves.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
+1. ANA just doesn't click with me. I know there are a lot of ANA fans in this thread.

I do a number of EU-Asia flights, and I have often picked ANA last if I cannot get on SQ, OS, LX and even LH.
Me three. I sleep so much better on the UA 777 2-4-2 seats than those ANA J pods. The seat just works better for me.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Every space in the galley and plane is used? Maybe they could throw them in the crew rest quarters.

Last edited by FlightNurse; Feb 23, 2017 at 4:21 am
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by N623DL
I just did a search. People are taking the Sak's duvet off of Polaris as well and it's going for $119 on ebay!
Random point(s)
UA (most likely) isn't shelling out list price for any of the items.
What percentage is lost over time to wear and tear? I would expect it's not much lower than the free advertising from the relocated souvenirs.
How much cost and effort is involved with collecting, cleaning, storing said items?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Maybe its because UA pax have been so used to spectacularly crappy product for years, and now that there is something remotely "nice" - they cant help themselves.

Have you ever been to the SYD Koru club when UA is about to depart. The hungry UA flyers are circling the buffet and hot dog cart like they've never seen a buffet in an airport lounge before.

I do see the point about domestic flights. I carry a small pillow for domestic F (which I stole from TK actually )
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Maybe people in Y as they deplane grab some of the bedding, especially if they spot one that is intact in the plastic.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Maybe its because UA pax have been so used to spectacularly crappy product for years, and now that there is something remotely "nice" - they cant help themselves.

Have you ever been to the SYD Koru club when UA is about to depart. The hungry UA flyers are circling the buffet and hot dog cart like they've never seen a buffet in an airport lounge before.

I do see the point about domestic flights. I carry a small pillow for domestic F (which I stole from TK actually )
+1. Sitting in the ORD Polaris lounge right now I feel UA has upped their game considerably with major investments in C and F products that I really hope help to change the negative perceptions alluded to above. Good for UA for trying and I will support with my $$$ if the commitment to a better product continues. I have also seen a steady shift in employee attitude which, while slower than some might wish, is a noticeable improvement from 2-3 years ago.

And I too must admit I fly with my favorite pillow, a nice one with real feathers purloined from OS years ago and still like new!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:00 pm

A certain amount of attrition is almost certainly built into their calculations. Every business does that, but there's a difference between that and very frequent theft of the item.

The reality is that mutual respect is a part of a good relationship between client and service provider. Now, we probably all know that United has all too often come up short on their end of that equation. But if they try to rectify that then it is also up to passengers to recognize that and show respect to the property of the airline.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by KeepItReal
This is downright theft. Taking something off the plane is one thing, but selling it too???? UA should buy this off the UA seller then track him down and report to the police so he is prosecuted for theft. It is only a duvet but UA needs to make a strong statement to deter such activity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.