Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I'm glad that United did some halfway improvements to match competitor's BE fares. So my question with the improvements:

If one has United status, there is the 500 minimum per segment - does that mean 50% PQD is 250 miles for any segment where flown miles 499 or less? Will lifetime status miles be 500 miles minimum per segment?

UPDATED:
The bottom of my receipt lists PQD as 250 for each segment so it is half of the 500 mile minimum per segment. This was confirmed by MP customer service. That agent also said lifetime miles would be 250 instead of 500. It doesn't say that in the fine print. Anyone have any miles posting confirmation?

I'm flying SFO-LAX/SAN-SFO and the $60 increase in fare wasn't worth it to me for such short flights and low PQD miles. Also my employer could make me take Southwest if it was a lot cheaper - I like Southwest, but I need those lifetime United miles...

Last edited by CApreppie; Apr 3, 2019 at 10:54 am
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Do you think there's any chance UA will rescind the no-carryons policy? Seems so silly that UA is literally the only legacy to do this; even AA stepped back on that policy. The only airlines UA is "competition" with now are the true ULCC's, but even ULCC's offer the option to purchase carryon "rights".

Seriously, can someone tell me why UA is being so stubborn about this? Usually, they follow what DL/AA implements.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Do you think there's any chance UA will rescind the no-carryons policy?
Seriously, can someone tell me why UA is being so stubborn about this?
I'm guessing they see real value in increasing the number of non-BE (higher-paying) pax get to place their bag in the overhead rather than being forced to check it at boarding. Reducing the number of bags in the overhead is a major goal, I'd imagine.

You can buy overhead space in the form of a $95 AF credit card.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by threeoh
I'm guessing they see real value in increasing the number of non-BE (higher-paying) pax get to place their bag in the overhead rather than being forced to check it at boarding. Reducing the number of bags in the overhead is a major goal, I'd imagine.

You can buy overhead space in the form of a $95 AF credit card.
Agree - it definitely benefits people paying more, status or credit card holders. I wonder what the stats are in terms of who are buying BE fares - wonder what the percentage of credit card and status holders is? Hard to tell because those passengers board in Group 2 or earlier.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: QF Gold
I have had a read of the last few pages.

If I book a OS or LH codeshare BE fare, but operated by united. Do i get a full size carryon (to 8KG) or still the "personal item" size?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davem4

If I book a OS or LH codeshare BE fare, but operated by united. Do i get a full size carryon (to 8KG) or still the "personal item" size?
International Basic Economy does not have a carry-on restriction.

United does not weigh your carry-on, either, although if you're connecting to the UA flight from OS or LH, they might.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Do you think there's any chance UA will rescind the no-carryons policy? Seems so silly that UA is literally the only legacy to do this; even AA stepped back on that policy. The only airlines UA is "competition" with now are the true ULCC's, but even ULCC's offer the option to purchase carryon "rights".

Seriously, can someone tell me why UA is being so stubborn about this? Usually, they follow what DL/AA implements.
The no-carryons really only applies to domestic travel and no status. If you have Silver or above, or an appropriate credit card, you can carry on.

You will not be allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member, a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance™ Gold member.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
I have the MP card and I was able to check in online with no problem. But this was about 18 months ago.
Are there any more recent data points of people with the MPE card (but no status) being able to check in online without saying that they're going to check a bag?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davem4

Probably best to clarify if this is an international or domestic itinerary (not entirely sure if you can actually book an LH or OS codeshare on just a domestic itin, or if a domestic segment can only be booked on an international itin).

Full size carryon is allowed on international BE (including domestic legs or international itinerary) but not on domestic (N class). However, if you’re *G or above, you’ll be in group 2 and get a regular carryon anyway. Codeshare is irrelevant.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by barreg
Are there any more recent data points of people with the MPE card (but no status) being able to check in online without saying that they're going to check a bag?
There's no need for UA to restrict online check-in for a MPE cardholder, because the carry-on restrictions don't apply. I'd be shocked if it were a problem, although I don't speak from personal experience.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Probably best to clarify if this is an international or domestic itinerary (not entirely sure if you can actually book an LH or OS codeshare on just a domestic itin, or if a domestic segment can only be booked on an international itin).
Domestic BE fares still have a ton of sales restrictions -- USA point-of-sale, UA issued ticket, UA flight numbers. If someone's on a codeshare flight, it's not going to be domestic BE. In fact, the codeshare flights don't even have an N class to book into.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
There's no need for UA to restrict online check-in for a MPE cardholder, because the carry-on restrictions don't apply. I'd be shocked if it were a problem, although I don't speak from personal experience.
Agreed that there "should" be no need to restrict OLCI for MPE cardholders, but working in IT, I also know that what should happen and what does happen often varies, depending on whether programmers made changes the easy way or the right way (and how old systems can make doing it the "right" way really expensive).
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by barreg
I realized since my quoted post that I have a data point from more recently, in July 2018, so about 9 months ago. I had no trouble checking online with no status but with a MPE card on an N-class ticket to CUN (so the domestic flavor of BE on an int'l flight).

(Off topic: I got assigned an aisle seat....I prefer window so offered to switch with the woman in the window since I know many prefer aisle. She agreed to the swap, but turns out she was actually assigned the middle and had been attempting to poach the window, so I ended up looking like a jerk when the actual window seat passenger arrived and I was sitting in her seat.)

My only other BE flight since then I had to check a bag with camping equipment, so no data point.

I wouldn't worry about it. You can try checking in T-24 and if it doesn't work, at least you'll know whether you should head to the airport 15 minutes early to check in in person.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:33 pm

Great, thanks
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by DCAFly
But yesterday I flew on a basic economy ticket and I was not surrounded by a plane full of golden retriever puppies. I demand a refund and 100,000 miles for my inconvenience!
Basic Economy is often the way to go these ways with UA. I challenge anyone on the forum to provide a compelling reason to fork over the often $100+ roundtrip to go from Basic Economy to Economy.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Basic Economy is often the way to go these ways with UA. I challenge anyone on the forum to provide a compelling reason to fork over the often $100+ roundtrip to go from Basic Economy to Economy.
BE fares can be neither upgraded nor changed, and I can't get an E+ seat at booking even if I don't care about an upgrade and know that I won't change the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.