Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you dont purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period including SDC (occasionally 1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Full Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2024, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I have a whole row to myself (so far) on my flight to SIN: were about to board.
Are you saying I need to fly INTL?

Given almost all of my flights have been full of basic economy pax and/or those without status, and the fact many economy plus seats have gone out empty, I think I have done okay not getting stuck in the middle (though assigned middle almost always on 3-3 config)

Enjoy your empty row (?)!
Old May 6, 2024, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by SS255
Thanks everyone for the replies. His reservation doesnt even offer a $150 per direction to upgrade.
Is there a non-UA airline anywhere on the itinerary?
Old May 6, 2024, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Is there a non-UA airline anywhere on the itinerary?
Nope. LAX-LHR-LAX.
Old May 7, 2024, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Repooc17

Given almost all of my flights have been full of basic economy pax and/or those without status, and the fact many economy plus seats have gone out empty, I think I have done okay not getting stuck in the middle (though assigned middle almost always on 3-3 config)

The empty row was great. I have another one for the return flight in a few hours. I hope it holds up!
Old May 7, 2024, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17

What's your secret for avoiding the middle seat?
Old May 24, 2024, 10:07 am

Read the thread, but still a bit confused about OLCI options.
Looking at a flight from EWR to KEF on UA metal for a family of 4 (kids under 12) have never considered BE but the delta is 150 per ticket and I have a UA Mileage Explorer Chase card.

A couple questions:

1- We will probably not check bags, but may check 1. I understand that we definitely get 1 checked bag free with me as the cardholder. My bigger concern is that if we do not check bags, will we still need to check in at the counter vs OLCI? Does the fact that we will get boarding group 2 as cardholders change this automatically? I really do not want to check in at the counter at EWR as its often a huge pain.

2-Looks like as per new policy the kids will be assigned seats next to a parent. That's good enough for us as we aren't avoiding middle seats anyway. Is there any way to avoid being stuffed in the last row of the plane or is that just the likely risk you take with these tickets

3-I dont care about PQP miles / $, so other than that and possibly eating a $99 fee per ticket if we change or cancel, is there any other downside to these tickets I'm missing?

Thanks. Seems like there have been some recent changes so I hope I'm understanding this properly
Old May 24, 2024, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dawkins20
Read the thread, but still a bit confused about OLCI options.
Looking at a flight from EWR to KEF on UA metal for a family of 4 (kids under 12) have never considered BE but the delta is 150 per ticket and I have a UA Mileage Explorer Chase card.

A couple questions:

1- We will probably not check bags, but may check 1. I understand that we definitely get 1 checked bag free with me as the cardholder. My bigger concern is that if we do not check bags, will we still need to check in at the counter vs OLCI? Does the fact that we will get boarding group 2 as cardholders change this automatically? I really do not want to check in at the counter at EWR as its often a huge pain.

2-Looks like as per new policy the kids will be assigned seats next to a parent. That's good enough for us as we aren't avoiding middle seats anyway. Is there any way to avoid being stuffed in the last row of the plane or is that just the likely risk you take with these tickets

3-I dont care about PQP miles / $, so other than that and possibly eating a $99 fee per ticket if we change or cancel, is there any other downside to these tickets I'm missing?

Thanks. Seems like there have been some recent changes so I hope I'm understanding this properly
I dont fly BE - ever - so just from what I understand, but:

- will likely not need to do check in in person - though obviously, youll need to use counter for some portion if you have bag(s) to check - IMO and IME, theres little downside to having to check in at counter if you need to check bags anyway - obviously, can be a real benefit if you can skip the counter completely.

- I think the policy is to seat kids next to a parent when possible, which includes potentially opening up paid seats for free if needed. However, there is no guarantee it wont be in the last row, and also no guarantee all 4 will be together (ie, if two adults and two kids, may be one adult and kid in row 27, another adult and kid in row 31). Also, if for some reason there is no adjacent seats, it may not be possible. IMO, bad idea to rely on this, honestly. If you want seats for all your party together, or are looking to avoid certain areas (ie, last row), Id just buck up and pay for seats, personally. For me, it wouldnt be on a BE fare, but if the savings are too valuable, completely get it, but just buck up and buy the seat assignments. From what Ive seen, its not that much, and honestly, its a little comfort that will save you stress at the relative last minute, IMO, its probably just worth doing.

- For me, Im not convinced BE is ever going to be worth it based on my travel preferences/needs, but yeah, aside from the miles, bag restrictions (for non-premiers/cardholders), seat assignment restrictions and change/cancel policies, those are the main disadvantages of BE. All of these can pretty much be avoided with additional fees now though.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 11:45 am

I've never even considered BE before , but in this case it may be worth it. $600 total difference for 4 people , date cannot change for us, probably aren't checking bags , and really usually only sit in groups of 2 with one adult w one kid, rarely all together on any flight ..

I don't have an issue pre buying seats if available nuts wasn't sure if that was doable with BE, and mainly want to avoid the counter and just do OLCI

Those are our main concerns
Old May 24, 2024, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I don't have an issue pre buying seats if available nuts wasn't sure if that was doable with BE, and mainly want to avoid the counter and just do OLCI
In my experience when flying BE, as a MileagePlus Explorer cardholder who never checks bags, I never had to go to the counter and have always been able to OLCI. Once, I really didn't care for my auto-assigned middle seat and paid $10 to change it to an aisle seat.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never even considered BE before , but in this case it may be worth it. $600 total difference for 4 people , date cannot change for us, probably aren't checking bags , and really usually only sit in groups of 2 with one adult w one kid, rarely all together on any flight ..

Those are our main concerns
Originally Posted by TWA884
In my experience when flying BE, as a MileagePlus Explorer cardholder who never checks bags, I never had to go to the counter and have always been able to OLCI. Once, I really didn't care for my auto-assigned middle seat and paid $10 to change it to an aisle seat.
I'm fairly sure the BE check-in flow only blocks you from completing it if it sees no checked bags have been paid. If you have a credit card or status, it treats that as prepaying for the bags.
Old May 25, 2024, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
I'm fairly sure the BE check-in flow only blocks you from completing it if it sees no checked bags have been paid. If you have a credit card or status, it treats that as prepaying for the bags.
Well, if no bags have been paid and if you will be in Boarding Group 6. I don’t think the no-OLCI restriction applies to international BE, because there’s no carry-on restriction. The purpose of the in-person check-in is to enforce the latter rule. Since passengers with a qualifying credit card or with UA status will not be in BG6, they are exempt from the rule.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Jun 2, 2024, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Agents at EWR dont seem to like standby BE passengers

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
International Yes, domestic-only No

yes

No SDC for BE, standby Yes

All answered in the wiki
I started flying on BE tickets last October. I tried to fly standby from EWR to LAX, but the agent wouldnt add me to the list. I dont recall exactly what was said, but I erroneously concluded that BE fares couldnt fly standby. I may have said as such earlier in this thread.

Fast forward to the post quoted above: it prompted me to try standby the next day. It worked like a charm. Though whenever Ive tried it at EWR, I get pushback from the gate agent. CS at the United Club adds me without an issue and Im always first or, once, second on the standby list.

I think I know whats going on. EWR-LAX seems to be very NRSA heavy, so maybe agents dont want me crowding the list. If anyone has issues getting on the standby list, Ive found that CS agents are more than happy to oblige.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.