Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reusing/Recovering value of partial used ticket (eg. cancelled return) [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reusing/Recovering value of partial used ticket (eg. cancelled return) [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Missed me EWR-LAX flight due to an incompetent Uber driver last night. My ticket was only $174, so that was money/PQD down the drain as it was less than the $200 change fee. I think I'm more upset that I had booked with extremely rare IN AND R availability for myself and my wife - totally went to waste.
SDC is free for Plat. You could have moved to any flight within 24 hours for free so long as you SDCed before your original flight.

If you miss within 2 hours (flat tire rule), the will put you on standby (again for free) on the next flight, and keep rolling you over until you clear.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by channa
SDC is free for Plat. You could have moved to any flight within 24 hours for free so long as you SDCed before your original flight.

If you miss within 2 hours (flat tire rule), the will put you on standby (again for free) on the next flight, and keep rolling you over until you clear.
Literally every single seat on EWR-LAX non-stop flights today were taken (as were most one-stops), and on a K fare, it simply wasn't going to happen on this route. I also have a timing constraint - if I didn't make it out by the afternoon, this trip would effectively be wasted for me. I ended up booking JN on EWR-SFO-LAX...not really an ideal way to spend 100k miles, but I had close to 1mm RDM, so not as painful. My next trick will be convincing a phone agent to SDC me from LAX-EWR to SNA-EWR tomorrow...

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Oct 8, 2016 at 6:09 am
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It depends on the original fare rules. Generally it would need to be a return that would have been valid for the original ticket. In the case of a TPAC RT, it likely would need to be a TPAC return. Of course there would still be a change fee.
Any TPAC return or (from that example) PEK-ORD-DFW or PEK-AAA-DFW?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Yappy
Any TPAC return or (from that example) PEK-ORD-DFW or PEK-AAA-DFW?
Will depend on the fare rules, so would only be guessing. But a return from other than PEK (but in the region) to the USA may be possible.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Will depend on the fare rules, so would only be guessing. But a return from other than PEK (but in the region) to the USA may be possible.
Generally speaking, as long as the new return fare component(s) form a valid round/circle trip with the outbound fare component, you don't need to re-fare the outbound. So as long as the open segments between PEK and the new origin, and between the original origin and new destination, are less than the flown segment it should price.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by findark
Generally speaking, as long as the new return fare component(s) form a valid round/circle trip with the outbound fare component, you don't need to re-fare the outbound. So as long as the open segments between PEK and the new origin, and between the original origin and new destination, are less than the flown segment it should price.

This has got to be boring for the experts but ...

"form a valid round/circle trip"
Is a valid round trip one which ends where the original one ended or is there some exceptions?

"less than the flown segment"
Does this mean less dollars or less miles? If it is miles than a PEK-EWR-DFW trip would cause a re-fare? If dollars what fare would the comparison be made to.

Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SwisherTown
This has got to be boring for the experts but ...

"form a valid round/circle trip"
Is a valid round trip one which ends where the original one ended or is there some exceptions?
I'm honestly not entirely sure but I believe a round trip would be flown on exactly two fare components with one break in travel, whereas a circle trip is more generic and refers to any two or more fare components whose construction completes a circle (see next answer):

Originally Posted by SwisherTown
"less than the flown segment"
Does this mean less dollars or less miles? If it is miles than a PEK-EWR-DFW trip would cause a re-fare? If dollars what fare would the comparison be made to.
It refers to mileage. The trip will always be notionally constructed back to your origin, with any gaps in the air segments considered "open jaws". In order to be considered a valid circle trip, the mileage of the longest open segment must be shorter than the shortest flown segment [measured to destination/fare break, not transfer]. So yes, PEK-EWR-DFW would likely re-fare the outbound.

Note carefully, however, that these are the usual rules. Every fare will specifically list its rules which may differ (usually slightly); for example here is the text of a EWR/HKG fare:

Code:
   FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS WITH ANY
   FARE FOR ANY CARRIER IN ANY RULE AND TARIFF TO FORM ROUND
   TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS.
   END-ON-END PERMITTED. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL
   FARE COMPONENTS. TRAVEL MUST BE VIA POINT OF COMBINATION.
   APPLICABLE ADD-ON CONSTRUCTION IS ADDRESSED IN
   MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS - CATEGORY 23.
  OPEN JAWS
    FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
    -TO FORM SINGLE OR DOUBLE OPEN JAWS WHICH CONSISTS OF NO
     MORE THAN 2 INTERNATIONAL FARE COMPONENTS AND THE OPEN
     SEGMENT AT ORIGIN MUST BE IN ONE COUNTRY. THE OPEN
     SEGMENT AT DESTINATION HAS NO RESTRICTIONS.
     A MAXIMUM OF TWO INTERNATIONAL FARE COMPONENTS
     PERMITTED.
     MILEAGE OF THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE EQUAL/LESS THAN
     MILEAGE OF THE LONGEST FLOWN FARE COMPONENT.
   PROVIDED -
     THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE
     -BETWEEN AREA 3 AND AREA 2
      -WITHIN AREA 3 OR WITHIN AREA 1.
       COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR ANY CARRIER IN ANY
       RULE AND TARIFF.
 NOTE - THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME POINT-
        NYC-EWR
Old Sep 30, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
I find myself with a roundtrip ticket SFO-ATL when I just need the outbound. What's the best way to cancel the return? Before outbound travel or after outbound travel? The third-party travel agency who booked it (on behalf of the company paying for my travel) doesn't want to mess with the ticket and suggests I try to cancel the return after taking the outbound. But they don't seem sure I'll succeed or that there will be a refund. The current one-way outbound fare is less than the total round trip ticket.

I would note the ticket receipt says "refundable". The fare basis codes are as follows:

SFO-ATL EAA0JFEM
ATL-SFO LAA4AWDM

So is the return still fully refundable even after I take the outbound leg? Or else, will I (or someone) get a flight credit?

(Originally, I just had the return, ATL-SFO. We added the outbound a few days ago when my plans for personal travel to Florida before Atlanta changed. But the agency didn't book it as a separate one-way, they took my existing ATL-SFO one-way return flight and added the outbound to make it round trip.)
Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Domestic fares are comparatively simple.

Both of your fares are one-way (A in second position) and refundable (M in 8th position), so the ticket is refundable and each direction can stand alone.

Cancel after the outbound is flown: it is guaranteed to reprice in-place and you will be refunded the value of the return.

Cancel before the outbound is flown: the outbound will reprice with current inventory. If the flight still has E space then this is an even reissue and you get the refund for the return.

Refunds are due the agency that paid for the ticket. Really, if you didn't pay for the ticket you really don't need to care about any of this, unless it's coming out of your pocket in the end.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:41 pm

Domestic fares are comparatively simple.

Both of your fares are one-way (A in second position) and refundable (M in 8th position), so the ticket is refundable and each direction can stand alone.

Cancel after the outbound is flown: it is guaranteed to reprice in-place and you will be refunded the value of the return.

Cancel before the outbound is flown: the outbound will reprice with current inventory. If the flight still has E space then this is an even reissue and you get the refund for the return.

Refunds are due the agency that paid for the ticket. Really, if you didn't pay for the ticket you really don't need to care about any of this, unless it's coming out of your pocket in the end.
Ah, perfect! I was completely confused by the options (and only discovered it was refundable when I was posting to FT). Is there a thread with a guide to interpreting fare codes? I tried searching but couldn't find it.

In any case, I'll cancel after flying the outbound. It matters a little to me because I want the sponsoring agency to pay for part of my personal travel cost. They'll do that only up to the portion that they would have paid to fly me round trip to/from Atlanta. That should be a couple hundred dollars.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
If the originally ticketed fare is still valid for the outbound segment then removing the return doesn't require that the inventory be available--it can be repriced using the originally ticketed fare. Unfortunately, it doesn't always autoprice properly, so to avoid headaches I usually still advise people to just fly the outbound before canceling like you suggested. On the other hand, the converse is not true--if they were changing the first segment then it would indeed trigger a reprice even if they weren't changing the rest.

For reference, here is the Category 31 section that would apply to this situation:
Code:
BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY
   CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN
   BY THOSE OF UA INTERNATIONAL FARES
   NO CHARGE FOR REISSUE CHARGE HIGHEST FEE OF ALL CHANGED
   FARE COMPONENTS AND
     REPRICE USING CURRENTLY TKTD FARE
     PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-
     1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON/FARE BREAKS
     2. SAME FARE ON 1ST FARE COMPONENT IS USED
     3. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL
     MUST BE DOMESTIC
     4. AC/UA SAME FARE CLASS IS USED
     5. UA ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT EOU/ERU ARE USED
     6. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE IS IN
     PUBLIC TARIFF. PRIVATE FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED
     FARE IS IN PRIVATE TARIFF
     7. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
     8. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
     DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
   WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE SUBTRACT RESIDUAL
   FROM THE PENALTY THEN ADD-COLLECT/REFUND
   ENDORSEMENT BOX - HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW
   ENDORSEMENTS.
jsloan and lancelot21 like this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lancelot21
Is there a thread with a guide to interpreting fare codes? I tried searching but couldn't find it.
Unfortunately not, and it changes often enough I'm not sure it would be that useful (and is different in different markets, and with different carriers, etc).
jsloan, SPN Lifer and lancelot21 like this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:06 pm

Just for completeness, would the advice have changed if this had been a non-refundable ticket, booked as a round trip rather than two one-ways? That's what I assumed I had, until I looked at the fare code and then got help from findark and sykes
Old Dec 10, 2022, 12:44 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
If cancel a 2 leg one-way ticket in the middle of the journey, will any value remain?

Just wondering for a future trip where I plan to use the one way ticket but possibly... break/throw away the 2nd portion (at the connecting city). It's a typical non-refundable fare, but quite an expensive one, so I was wondering.

Would any value remain in the ticket if I did this?

Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2022, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you cancel before departure time, you can preserve some value. Its use may be quite restricted, though.

If you just ignore the return, you'll lose the value.

There is some discussion in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2015432-understanding-using-ua-electronic-travel-certificate-etc-future-flight-credit-ffc.html

edit: see later posts

Last edited by fumje; Dec 10, 2022 at 8:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.