Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reusing/Recovering value of partial used ticket (eg. cancelled return) [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reusing/Recovering value of partial used ticket (eg. cancelled return) [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:52 pm

Thanks. I didn't expect there to be any value left. The website was giving me an error when I tried to cancel online so I just wanted to ask. I called United to ask if 1) there was a partial refund if I cancelled the lap child, which she said there would be but I would have to request it on the website form.. and 2) I asked if there would be any residual value if i cancelled everything. To my surprise she said there would be, but couldn't tell me how much. I didn't think she was right but I just wanted to ask you guys to make sure.

I grabbed the fare at a time when the RT was on a good sale. I had a one way out there as a saver award, the return was not available on points and the one-way was over $1k. Grabbed the RT at a good fare for a free option to fly back there this summer if it worked out. Unfortunately it didn't.

Best bet to get any value out of the unflown leg? I wont be flying this route anytime soon again. Just wait it out in case there is a weather/mechanical?

Thanks.

Also - the cancel page is now working on the United site for me. It says "This reservation has no refundable value if cancelled. A refund will not be credited." Guessing that is accurate.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Rather than speculating, why not tell us what the fare rules are. You have those as they came with the e-ticket and we do not. Tickets issued in the EU may carry different penalties (b.s. that EU limits penalties btw).

What is the penalty for cancellation / change?

Look at the fare breakdown. You will see a line which says something such as MIL-EWR // TRYFD 375.00. In that case the fare for MIL-EWR is $375.00. If the cancellation fee is $400.00, and you paid $508.76, there will be nothing left over if you cancel the return.

Please provide the numbers and we can help you figure this out. No numbers. No answer.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:20 pm

Yea.. seems real low.

MIL UA EWR78.94UA MIL100.71NUC179.65END ROE.918404 UA XFEWR4.5
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LXFlyer
I'm confused why you expect a value of this ticket? Wouldn't the ticket be re-fared as a one-way, which for this type of international trip is usually *a lot* more expensive than a one-way, leading to nothing leftover?
I think this is correct - a voluntary change will reprice the ticket, including the already flown outbound. You would need the cost of a one-way, plus the change fee, to be less than your current ticket.

Either way, typical international change fees are in the 300-400 USD range, so I don't see any way in which this ticket has recoverable value.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Reusing / Recovering value from a partial used ticket

Ok... here is the deal. I have booked a IAH-AMS round trip but then had to postpone my return by an unknown amount of time so I cancelled the return about a week after I arrived in AMS with plans on using it in the future. It was a Z fare ticket/

now that I am ready to use it, some incredible fares are coming up.

I just looked at an IAH-DFW-IAH and unrestricted F comes in at $600. This was found just by searching and not using an existing ticket.

However, when I try to use my cancelled ticket and apply it towards this new booking, the same exact itinerary comes in at a whopping $4941!!! IAH-DFW-IAH for almost $5000!

This cannot be correct. I've seen issues in the past, but NOTHING as drastic as this. I assume the fare rules have something to do with it but this is just crazy. Any suggestions on what to do here?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Ok... here is the deal. I have booked a IAH-AMS round trip but then had to postpone my return by an unknown amount of time so I cancelled the return about a week after I arrived in AMS with plans on using it in the future. It was a Z fare ticket/

now that I am ready to use it, some incredible fares are coming up.

I just looked at an IAH-DFW-IAH and unrestricted F comes in at $600. This was found just by searching and not using an existing ticket.

However, when I try to use my cancelled ticket and apply it towards this new booking, the same exact itinerary comes in at a whopping $4941!!! IAH-DFW-IAH for almost $5000!

This cannot be correct. I've seen issues in the past, but NOTHING as drastic as this. I assume the fare rules have something to do with it but this is just crazy. Any suggestions on what to do here?
Call?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
I assume the fare rules have something to do with it but this is just crazy.
It will be interesting to see what they tell you.

I suspect that your outbound IAH-AMS was roundtrip basis. So without the AMS-IAH return (specifically Zone 2 to Zone 1 / via Atlantic), your first flight is repricing as one-way.

Still, a $4000+ price difference is insane.

One thing you might want to try is pricing a transatlantic ticket, to see if it improves things. It may show you need to book a return ticket to use the residual value.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
The on-line change-flight system is totally broken when you try to apply it to a partially used cancelled ticket. Identify exactly what flight you want to change to and what the fare should be, and then call. They may even ask you to make a dummy booking and give them the PNR.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You should call and try to get the whole story.

But also this:

Originally Posted by wh6cto
I suspect that your outbound IAH-AMS was roundtrip basis. So without the AMS-IAH return (specifically Zone 2 to Zone 1 / via Atlantic), your first flight is repricing as one-way.
The cheapest business class fare on UA IAH-AMS with a one-way basis is JX1, a $9,349 base fare. This is likely to cause you problems. How did you end up getting home from AMS?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot

That's exactly what is happening, and $4,000 is exactly what I'd expect.

Most likely the only way that you're going to get any value out of your ticket is to complete the round-trip by booking a Europe->US return.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
It will be interesting to see what they tell you.

One thing you might want to try is pricing a transatlantic ticket, to see if it improves things. It may show you need to book a return ticket to use the residual value.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Well, spoke with GS.... holy fare rules!!

In order to use the value of the return leg, it has to originate in AMS to the US and must be a Z fare. Even if I want to book economy and get the rest back as an ETC, can't happen. I've never had a ticket with this level of restrictions!
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
In order to use the value of the return leg, it has to originate in AMS to the US and must be a Z fare. Even if I want to book economy and get the rest back as an ETC, can't happen. I've never had a ticket with this level of restrictions!
I don't doubt that this is what you were told, but it's probably not right.

Odds are your outbound was a round-trip fare, as others have already stated. In order to use the credit, your return needs to complete that round trip - which is why you're being told that you need to start in AMS.

But almost all UA round-trip fares also allow for open-jaw, so anywhere that turns this into an open-jaw (or even double-open-jaw) trip will also do it. So you could basically start anywhere in Europe or even Asia and end up anywhere in the US, and it would count.

To give an example, a few weeks ago I had ORD-BOM-SFO booked in P. Ended up having to go to Singapore after I've already arrived in BOM, so I booked BOM-SIN separately, and then changed my BOM-SFO to SIN-SFO. That needed a bump to Z (as there was no P available) and the return fare went up a bit, but the outbound fare didn't change at all as although it was a round-trip fare, the entire trip worked as an (double-)open-jaw (as BOM-SIN was shorter than the two flown legs).

If I'd simply canceled the return leg, the outbound would have repriced and I would have received nothing back as the new outbound would have been higher than the total trip cost...
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here are the relevant tags from a sample Z fare (I think they're all the same). It sounds like you can do a change that keeps the first fare valid - likely, as noted, it must keep the trip as a round trip/open jaw construction which means that your new origin and destination must be within 5,012 sm of AMS and IAH, respectively, and also closer to each than the length of your journey.

Roughly, you do not need to leave from AMS, use a Z basis, or fly in business class, but you will forfeit any residual coupon value not used in the change, as follows:

Red tag would require a Z ticket AMS-IAH that satisfies the original fare rules.
Blue tag would allow the use of the coupon on any Z fare from those carriers provided it is valid in combination with the outbound.
Green tag allows any new fares that are valid with the original coupon, but will forfeit the remaining coupon value.

Code:
OR -
   AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY AND WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY
   CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN
   BY THOSE OF UA INTERNATIONAL FARES
   CHARGE USD 450.00 OR HIGHEST FEE OF ALL CHANGED FARE
   COMPONENTS - CATEGORY 19 DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
     ONLY REPRICE USING CURRENTLY TKTD FARE IF RESULTS
     IN VALID SOLUTION
     PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-
     1. NO CHANGE TO FARE BREAKS
     2. SAME FARE ON 1ST FARE COMPONENT IS USED
     3. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL
     MUST BE DOMESTIC
     4. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT
     5. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA FARES ARE USED
     6. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE IS IN
     PUBLIC TARIFF. PRIVATE FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED
     FARE IS IN PRIVATE TARIFF
     7. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
     EXCEPT ADV RES-TKTG
     8. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
     DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
     9. TKT REISSUE RESTRICTED TO UA OR ANY CARRIER
   WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE IGNORE RESIDUAL THEN
   ADD-COLLECT
   ENDORSEMENT BOX - HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW
   ENDORSEMENTS.
OR -
   AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY AND WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY
   CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN
   BY THOSE OF UA INTERNATIONAL FARES
   CHARGE USD 450.00 OR HIGHEST FEE OF ALL CHANGED FARE
   COMPONENTS - CATEGORY 19 DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
     REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED
     1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON
     2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL
     MUST BE DOMESTIC
     3. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT
     4. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA Z- FARE FAMILY IS USED
     5. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE IS IN
     6. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
     7. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO

{...snipped same as green tag but for AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA only...}

OR -
     REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED
     1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON
     2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL
     MUST BE DOMESTIC
     3. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT
     4. ANY CARRIER FARES ARE USED
     5. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE IS IN
     6. NEW TKT HAS EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN PREVIOUS
     TKT
     7. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
     8. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO

WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE IGNORE RESIDUAL THEN
   ADD-COLLECT
ENDORSEMENT BOX - HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW
   ENDORSEMENTS.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Value of unused return segment

I have an upcoming round trip international flight on a P class fare.

Long story short, a client is asking if I can fly back home with him....on an airline outside of *A. Therefore my return would go unused.

Do return legs of a RT retain any credit towards future travel, or does not using it cancel the value? Thanks....

Last edited by 1k-all-the-way; Sep 17, 2016 at 8:21 pm
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:27 pm

Cancelling the return completely will likely cause a reprice to the one-way fare...which is likely expensive--possibly more than the round trip. It's difficult for the public to calculate the residual value of the ticket.

If you can use that return later, you can likely change it for the change fee alone +/- minor fare difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.