Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reusing/Recovering value of partial used ticket (eg. cancelled return) [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reusing/Recovering value of partial used ticket (eg. cancelled return) [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Got it. --Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Question Using credit from cancelled return segment of RT ticket

Due to last minute work changes, my wife had to cancel the return segment of our R/T HKG-SFO-HKG ticket. (May not have been the best choice, but not a lot of options given she went on to VCE, AUH and then back to HKG).

The agent told me that the credit can really only be used for a SFO-HKG ticket having already partially used the ticket, as a change in destination would open up the ticket to be "one-way", making the new ticket cost extremely expensive.

Is this the only way this credit can be used? Is there no other way to free up the credit? I need to book her a roundtrip SFO-MFR ticket, but it appears this credit cannot be efficiently used, even with work covering the change fee.

We plan to travel back for the holidays, but want to book our tickets together while I burn expiring GPUs. May not be possible on one PNR if I need to find a miles flight to SFO in order to use the return credit.

Any help appreciated!! (Ps...I searched the forum but to no luck)
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
The agent is not correct. Once canceled, the ticket has a specific residual value, which applies no matter what you use that value for: one-way, RT, and regardless of destination. The original route, fare class, etc, of a canceled ticket are meaningless; all that matters is the residual value. When you attempt to change a partially used ticket, the agent will have to ask the rate desk to determine the residual value, and will put you on hold while they do this.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect OP is not familiar with fare rules and may have been confused. UA agent may have said that SFO-HKG segment can be used at a later date with only change fee, or no change fee, while changing destination requires refare.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
I suspect OP is not familiar with fare rules and may have been confused. UA agent may have said that SFO-HKG segment can be used at a later date with only change fee, or no change fee, while changing destination requires refare.
AFAIK, this is not correct, and even if the residual value is used for an SFO-HKG segment later on, it will be refared.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
AFAIK, this is not correct, and even if the residual value is used for an SFO-HKG segment later on, it will be refared.
It would not be repriced in the event of a simple date change for the the SFO-HKG segment. Changes to the return after flying the outbound typically do not trigger a reprice so long as they are within the routing rules.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by physioprof
Would it be refared as half the cost of a roundtrip, or as a one-way SFO-HKG?
One fare is likely much lower than the other.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It would not be repriced in the event of a simple date change for the the SFO-HKG segment. Changes to the return after flying the outbound typically do not trigger a reprice so long as they are within the routing rules.
^@:-)
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Relative to what you are trying to do, the agent is more or less correct.

Any change to the ticket will "reprice" it in a certain sense (although there are exceptions for small changes). If you want to throw away the second segment and use the coupon to a wholly new itinerary, it will re-price the HKG-SFO as a one-way which is likely to consume most of the residual value of the ticket.

The key feature is that you need to use the credit on a segment which makes a valid round trip combination with HKG-SFO. This is mostly any US-Asia segment, although the original fare's combinability requirements will apply. You will not be able to use the credit for domestic travel.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Travelling365
Is this the only way this credit can be used? Is there no other way to free up the credit? I need to book her a roundtrip SFO-MFR ticket, but it appears this credit cannot be efficiently used, even with work covering the change fee.
Let me put it this way - right or wrong, you will only know when you are ready to use the credit anyway.

So I would ask the agent and see if I can apply the credit to SFO-MFR RT ticket.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Appreciate the explanations.

As was mentioned above, the agent did say that if I used the credit to book R/T SFO-MFR, the ticket would be re-priced as a "one-way" HKG-SFO-MFR-SFO, resulting in an additional ~$1000. I can see how this impacts international tickets much more heavily than domestic itins.

Given the R/T fare was >$600US, I am not extremely concerned, but would prefer to not give away the money, especially since the company will cover the change fee.

Using the return credit as an open jaw as findark mentioned would probably be the best option to use the credit within 12 month period.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is great information. Thanks for correcting my assertion.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by channa
No. The P fare you quoted is a RT fare.

The ticket would be refared to the one-way, which is more than you paid, and your residual would likely be nothing.
If the for the P fare quoted the return flight was not canceled but changed to a future date, what would be the options?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Yappy
If the for the P fare quoted the return flight was not canceled but changed to a future date, what would be the options?
It depends on the original fare rules. Generally it would need to be a return that would have been valid for the original ticket. In the case of a TPAC RT, it likely would need to be a TPAC return. Of course there would still be a change fee.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Missed me EWR-LAX flight due to an incompetent Uber driver last night. My ticket was only $174, so that was money/PQD down the drain as it was less than the $200 change fee. I think I'm more upset that I had booked with extremely rare IN AND R availability for myself and my wife - totally went to waste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.