Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reusing/Recovering value of partial used ticket (eg. cancelled return) [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reusing/Recovering value of partial used ticket (eg. cancelled return) [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2022, 1:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TA
Just wondering for a future trip where I plan to use the one way ticket but possibly... break/throw away the 2nd portion (at the connecting city). ....
If you want an FFC for the dropped / cancelled segment, the original ticket will be repriced based on the unflown segment and the fare rules of the first segment may still apply.
Partial flown tickets get messy.

This situation is very different from the fully cancelled ticket credit.

The real problem is if any restriction from the original flown segment impact the options for using the unflown segment. It is difficult to discuss in the abstract as the ticket details matter.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
Just wondering for a future trip where I plan to use the one way ticket but possibly... break/throw away the 2nd portion (at the connecting city). It's a typical non-refundable fare, but quite an expensive one, so I was wondering.

Would any value remain in the ticket if I did this?
Well, since you presumably wouldn't be trying to buy a hidden-city ticket if it wasn't cheaper than the nonstop to your intended destination… no, it's very unlikely that you'd have any value left in the ticket. In order to get any value out of it, you'd either (a) need to have that second leg refunded due to IRROPS or (b) re-price it as a one-way to your true destination.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by TA
Just wondering for a future trip where I plan to use the one way ticket but possibly... break/throw away the 2nd portion (at the connecting city). It's a typical non-refundable fare, but quite an expensive one, so I was wondering.

Would any value remain in the ticket if I did this?
This has potential to be more complicated than a general partially used ticket scenario, depending on the way it was constructed. If you are at a fare break point - would be treated as any other partially used ticket with a change at the fare break point.

Assuming there isn't a fare break at the connecting city, your ticket will likely need to be repriced for travel valid on fares from your origin to the connecting city on the flight/booking code you took the flight in. If there wasn't valid fares for that city pair at your booking code they will need to work their way up until they find a valid fare for what you flew. If there's value after that process, it could be refunded into a credit. Or if you leave it as an open ticket, when you go to rebook, depending on the city pairs, it's possible they could find a fare that keeps the connecting city as a transfer (likely now a stop over) point.

If you want to get a rough idea if there's going to be any value, compare the fare you paid for AAA- x/BBB-CCC to the fare for AAA-BBB. If AAA-BBB is more, unlikely there will be any value left when it gets refared. Edit: and as Jsloan mentioned if this is a hidden city type scenario, almost certainly will have no value, and if you try to claim a credit will increase the chances your account gets flagged by their staff for potential review by corporate security. Hidden city ticketing is something they take seriously, and if this is such a case these rules apply: don't make a habit of it and absolutely don't do anything to bring that reservation to UA's attention.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 2:33 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Thanks --

The onward leg is a different *A carrier (flight number not UA, not codeshare) so I hope anyway this would somewhat obfuscate my usage of it...
Old Dec 10, 2022, 4:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TA
Thanks --

The onward leg is a different *A carrier (flight number not UA, not codeshare) so I hope anyway this would somewhat obfuscate my usage of it...
So this was HCT situation?
jcturnbull likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
It might, until you called UA and tried to get credit for the missed flight. Hidden-city ticketing is expressly prohibited by UA's Contract of Carriage.

And, of course, UA has no obligation to deliver you to your connecting point. Suppose you're flying IAD-ZRH-MXP, and IAD-ZRH is delayed or cancelled. UA would be within their rights to put you on IAD-EWR-MXP or IAD-FRA-MXP or... etc. You could always ask to be re-accommodated so that you still pass through the city you're trying to get to, but there's no guarantee that they'd be willing to do so.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, since you presumably wouldn't be trying to buy a hidden-city ticket if it wasn't cheaper than the nonstop to your intended destination… no, it's very unlikely that you'd have any value left in the ticket. In order to get any value out of it, you'd either (a) need to have that second leg refunded due to IRROPS or (b) re-price it as a one-way to your true destination.
Ah good read between the lines. I had not picked up on the language initially. This is the best advice.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.