Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Premier Access" (for non-elites - purchased, credit card preq,..) Q&A [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Card
Priority boarding
The primary Cardmember and companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding.
Chase United MileagePlus Club Card & Chase United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card
Premier Access® travel services
Receive preferential treatment to ease your way through the airport with priority check-in, security screening (where available), boarding and baggage handling privileges.
The use of the credit card is not needed to receive benefits, just having a credit card linked to your account is sufficient (bag fee waiver does require use of the card)

Premier Access Benefits Premium Travel Services United Airlines
Originally Posted by UNITED.com
Customers who are not included in one of the groups above may have the option to purchase Premier Access for a particular flight. A Premier Access purchase includes priority check-in, security lane access (where available) and boarding, but it does not include priority baggage handling.
Print Wikipost

"Premier Access" (for non-elites - purchased, credit card preq,..) Q&A [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A departure at 7pm won’t be a mess.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
YMMV. I just flew out of Terminal C on a 6:30a flight with Premier Access and both the PA and TSA Pre-check lines we’re a total mess. Almost missed our flight. Assuming staffing issues were a part of it, but the preposterous bin arrangement at the checkpoints is one of the great examples of useless over-engineering - those things make the lines go 30% slower than normal and cost 100% more. Some inventor sold EWR a bill of .... goods…

Anyone with more experience at EWR have an opinion on which line actually moves faster in general - TSA or PA?
They do work quite well in the Europe / UK -- we just have too many people that don't know how to use them properly -- I think it is because they don't want to "cut" in front of someone standing there -- and of course the TSA constantly barking at people doesn't help with the stress either....
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:28 am

Thanks. EWR has a knack for turning the easy into the difficult!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
They do work quite well in the Europe / UK -- we just have too many people that don't know how to use them properly -- I think it is because they don't want to "cut" in front of someone standing there -- and of course the TSA constantly barking at people doesn't help with the stress either....
But what was the need for them? Was the system of putting stuff in a bin and setting it on a conveyor belt by yourself so catastrophically broken? It just feels like someone engineered a solution to a problem that never existed in the first place.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
But what was the need for them? Was the system of putting stuff in a bin and setting it on a conveyor belt by yourself so catastrophically broken? It just feels like someone engineered a solution to a problem that never existed in the first place.
Well - when it works efficiently you have 5 people loading their bins in Parallel -- and the quicker ones can finish and move on -- whereas in the traditional system we all wait on the slowest person in front of us -- in serial fashion...

I just came back from the UK and EU and the people there seem quite familiar with how the system is supposed to work -- while we are only now starting to adopt it -- thus the confusion (IMHO)...
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Well - when it works efficiently you have 5 people loading their bins in Parallel -- and the quicker ones can finish and move on -- whereas in the traditional system we all wait on the slowest person in front of us -- in serial fashion...

I just came back from the UK and EU and the people there seem quite familiar with how the system is supposed to work -- while we are only now starting to adopt it -- thus the confusion (IMHO)...
Agreed. IME it goes much faster.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:32 am

Premier Access at Newark (EWR)

More color on the new Bag Drop feature. cannot post the link here but google The Points Guy and Bag Drop Newark. Seems to obviate the need to purchase Premier Access as an add on at least at EWR inasmuch as Bag Drop appears to be available to all those having checked in on the App, not just Premier Access, given that in my experience EWR rarely has a dedicated Premier Access security line in Terminal C. So if we can use Bag drop to expedite instead of purchasing PA to procure entrance to the PA check in lines, makes it a no brainer,
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:38 am

You don't need Premier Access for bag drop at EWR, just check in online. There is no Premier Access line, just a precheck line.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:35 pm

I use Premier Access check in at EWR if I get dropped off on Level 2 and there is more than 2 or 3 people in the bag drop off there. Level 3 Premier Access check-in is frustrating as one would expect flyers there to have {it} together but even up there they don't. Grab any open kiosk and check in.

As far as Premier Access security I haven't been there in a few months since getting CLEAR and TSA Pre-Check (both for free ). When I did use it it might as well have not existed as it seemed that the attendant at the entrance was directing anyone in. As far as those stupid bins go, same comment about flyers not having {it} together but even worse.

If you don't have Premier Access due to status I wouldn't pay extra. Give yourself a few extra minutes and you should be good.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 28, 2022 at 3:58 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I've experienced some waits dropping off a bag at the 1K/Polaris check-in on L3, mostly related to staff shortages waiting for someone to put the tag on my bag after checking in at the kiosk. Wondering if this Bag Drop would be faster. If your bag is between 51 and 70 lbs, does the system recognize your status and not set off alarms?

Last edited by tarheelnj; Jun 29, 2022 at 11:27 am Reason: spell check
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I've experienced some waits dropping off a bag at the 1K/Polaris check-in on L3, mostly related to staff shortages waiting for someone to put the tag on my bag after checking in at the kiosk. Wondering if this Bag Drop would be faster. If your bag is between 51 and 70 lbs, does the system recognize your status and not set off alarms?
For my last check-in at EWR around 3pm, I chose the bag drop instead of Premier Access check-in. The bottleneck for both was that they only had 2 agents to handle 8+ kiosks, so there's the wait in line and wait until they accept the bags.

Also, with the new programming, the tags just spit out from the machine if you don't indicate bags as over 50 lbs. Two of my bags were 55lb, and the bag handler had to get a UA agent to note the record as such. A bit of wait, but no drama.

Originally Posted by commaspace
You don't need Premier Access for bag drop at EWR, just check in online. There is no Premier Access line, just a precheck line.
There is definitely a Premier Access security line at EWR, separate from PreCheck.

Last edited by PTahCha; Jun 29, 2022 at 1:01 pm
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:28 pm

Premier Access - SFO and MCO?

My son has a Economy ticket from SFO to MCO (and roundtrip).

I am thinking of adding Premier Access so he can (quoted from UA's site) "enjoy the convenience of dedicated airport check-in lines, exclusive security lanes at select airports and priority boarding".

My question is whether this is the actual experience nowadays? He has no status on United. I'm happy to pay for Premier Access to get him into shorter lines and boarding sooner, but don't want to purchase if today's reality doesn't match UA's promise.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and reports of any recent experiences.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A third of the plane might board from/to SFO before Premier Access purchasers get their chance. I can’t see value above $10. What is UA asking $-wise?

There may be a Premier Access lane at SFO, probably not so at MCO.
CaliforniaMom likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
... There may be a Premier Access lane at SFO, probably not so at MCO.
Both have Premier Access and earlier boarding (so no issue with overhead bin space) is part of the package even if some others have boarded earlier.
CaliforniaMom likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
A third of the plane might board from/to SFO before Premier Access purchasers get their chance. I can’t see value above $10. What is UA asking $-wise?

There may be a Premier Access lane at SFO, probably not so at MCO.
$15 is what I'm seeing.

He doesn't have status so with an Economy fare, he would board pretty close to last (just in front of Basic Economy, maybe?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.