Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

"Premier Access" (for non-elites - purchased, credit card preq,..) Q&A [consolidated]

"Premier Access" (for non-elites - purchased, credit card preq,..) Q&A [consolidated]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 30, 22, 8:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Card
Priority boarding
The primary Cardmember and companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding.
Chase United MileagePlus Club Card & Chase United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card
Premier Access® travel services
Receive preferential treatment to ease your way through the airport with priority check-in, security screening (where available), boarding and baggage handling privileges.
The use of the credit card is not needed to receive benefits, just having a credit card linked to your account is sufficient (bag fee waiver does require use of the card)

Premier Access Benefits Premium Travel Services United Airlines
Originally Posted by UNITED.com
Customers who are not included in one of the groups above may have the option to purchase Premier Access for a particular flight. A Premier Access purchase includes priority check-in, security lane access (where available) and boarding, but it does not include priority baggage handling.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 28, 22, 10:46 am
  #91  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 12,897
A departure at 7pm won’t be a mess.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Jun 28, 22, 11:00 am
  #92  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC / TYO / Up in the Air
Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Posts: 5,165
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
YMMV. I just flew out of Terminal C on a 6:30a flight with Premier Access and both the PA and TSA Pre-check lines we’re a total mess. Almost missed our flight. Assuming staffing issues were a part of it, but the preposterous bin arrangement at the checkpoints is one of the great examples of useless over-engineering - those things make the lines go 30% slower than normal and cost 100% more. Some inventor sold EWR a bill of .... goods…

Anyone with more experience at EWR have an opinion on which line actually moves faster in general - TSA or PA?
They do work quite well in the Europe / UK -- we just have too many people that don't know how to use them properly -- I think it is because they don't want to "cut" in front of someone standing there -- and of course the TSA constantly barking at people doesn't help with the stress either....
bmwe92fan is online now  
Old Jun 28, 22, 11:28 am
  #93  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 4
Thanks. EWR has a knack for turning the easy into the difficult!
EconomyPlusGuy is offline  
Old Jun 28, 22, 11:55 am
  #94  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PHL, LHR
Posts: 192
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
They do work quite well in the Europe / UK -- we just have too many people that don't know how to use them properly -- I think it is because they don't want to "cut" in front of someone standing there -- and of course the TSA constantly barking at people doesn't help with the stress either....
But what was the need for them? Was the system of putting stuff in a bin and setting it on a conveyor belt by yourself so catastrophically broken? It just feels like someone engineered a solution to a problem that never existed in the first place.
PHLondoner is offline  
Old Jun 28, 22, 12:01 pm
  #95  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC / TYO / Up in the Air
Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Posts: 5,165
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
But what was the need for them? Was the system of putting stuff in a bin and setting it on a conveyor belt by yourself so catastrophically broken? It just feels like someone engineered a solution to a problem that never existed in the first place.
Well - when it works efficiently you have 5 people loading their bins in Parallel -- and the quicker ones can finish and move on -- whereas in the traditional system we all wait on the slowest person in front of us -- in serial fashion...

I just came back from the UK and EU and the people there seem quite familiar with how the system is supposed to work -- while we are only now starting to adopt it -- thus the confusion (IMHO)...
bmwe92fan is online now  
Old Jun 28, 22, 12:21 pm
  #96  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Posts: 9,755
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
Well - when it works efficiently you have 5 people loading their bins in Parallel -- and the quicker ones can finish and move on -- whereas in the traditional system we all wait on the slowest person in front of us -- in serial fashion...

I just came back from the UK and EU and the people there seem quite familiar with how the system is supposed to work -- while we are only now starting to adopt it -- thus the confusion (IMHO)...
Agreed. IME it goes much faster.
lhrsfo is offline  
Old Jun 28, 22, 12:32 pm
  #97  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 4
Premier Access at Newark (EWR)

More color on the new Bag Drop feature. cannot post the link here but google The Points Guy and Bag Drop Newark. Seems to obviate the need to purchase Premier Access as an add on at least at EWR inasmuch as Bag Drop appears to be available to all those having checked in on the App, not just Premier Access, given that in my experience EWR rarely has a dedicated Premier Access security line in Terminal C. So if we can use Bag drop to expedite instead of purchasing PA to procure entrance to the PA check in lines, makes it a no brainer,
EWR764 likes this.
EconomyPlusGuy is offline  
Old Jun 28, 22, 12:38 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 75
You don't need Premier Access for bag drop at EWR, just check in online. There is no Premier Access line, just a precheck line.
commaspace is offline  
Old Jun 28, 22, 3:35 pm
  #99  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 119
I use Premier Access check in at EWR if I get dropped off on Level 2 and there is more than 2 or 3 people in the bag drop off there. Level 3 Premier Access check-in is frustrating as one would expect flyers there to have {it} together but even up there they don't. Grab any open kiosk and check in.

As far as Premier Access security I haven't been there in a few months since getting CLEAR and TSA Pre-Check (both for free ). When I did use it it might as well have not existed as it seemed that the attendant at the entrance was directing anyone in. As far as those stupid bins go, same comment about flyers not having {it} together but even worse.

If you don't have Premier Access due to status I wouldn't pay extra. Give yourself a few extra minutes and you should be good.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 28, 22 at 4:58 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
kdad is offline  
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:16 pm
  #100  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey
Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,994
I've experienced some waits dropping off a bag at the 1K/Polaris check-in on L3, mostly related to staff shortages waiting for someone to put the tag on my bag after checking in at the kiosk. Wondering if this Bag Drop would be faster. If your bag is between 51 and 70 lbs, does the system recognize your status and not set off alarms?

Last edited by tarheelnj; Jun 29, 22 at 12:27 pm Reason: spell check
tarheelnj is offline  
Old Jun 29, 22, 1:54 pm
  #101  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb
Posts: 5,470
Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
I've experienced some waits dropping off a bag at the 1K/Polaris check-in on L3, mostly related to staff shortages waiting for someone to put the tag on my bag after checking in at the kiosk. Wondering if this Bag Drop would be faster. If your bag is between 51 and 70 lbs, does the system recognize your status and not set off alarms?
For my last check-in at EWR around 3pm, I chose the bag drop instead of Premier Access check-in. The bottleneck for both was that they only had 2 agents to handle 8+ kiosks, so there's the wait in line and wait until they accept the bags.

Also, with the new programming, the tags just spit out from the machine if you don't indicate bags as over 50 lbs. Two of my bags were 55lb, and the bag handler had to get a UA agent to note the record as such. A bit of wait, but no drama.

Originally Posted by commaspace View Post
You don't need Premier Access for bag drop at EWR, just check in online. There is no Premier Access line, just a precheck line.
There is definitely a Premier Access security line at EWR, separate from PreCheck.


Last edited by PTahCha; Jun 29, 22 at 2:01 pm
PTahCha is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 5:28 pm
  #102  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 30
Premier Access - SFO and MCO?

My son has a Economy ticket from SFO to MCO (and roundtrip).

I am thinking of adding Premier Access so he can (quoted from UA's site) "enjoy the convenience of dedicated airport check-in lines, exclusive security lanes at select airports and priority boarding".

My question is whether this is the actual experience nowadays? He has no status on United. I'm happy to pay for Premier Access to get him into shorter lines and boarding sooner, but don't want to purchase if today's reality doesn't match UA's promise.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and reports of any recent experiences.
CaliforniaMom is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 5:31 pm
  #103  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 12,897
A third of the plane might board from/to SFO before Premier Access purchasers get their chance. I can’t see value above $10. What is UA asking $-wise?

There may be a Premier Access lane at SFO, probably not so at MCO.
CaliforniaMom likes this.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 5:51 pm
  #104  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 61,346
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
... There may be a Premier Access lane at SFO, probably not so at MCO.
Both have Premier Access and earlier boarding (so no issue with overhead bin space) is part of the package even if some others have boarded earlier.
CaliforniaMom likes this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 6:31 pm
  #105  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
A third of the plane might board from/to SFO before Premier Access purchasers get their chance. I can’t see value above $10. What is UA asking $-wise?

There may be a Premier Access lane at SFO, probably not so at MCO.
$15 is what I'm seeing.

He doesn't have status so with an Economy fare, he would board pretty close to last (just in front of Basic Economy, maybe?)
CaliforniaMom is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread