Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Invitation to UA Private Event - Polaris Related

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: villox
FTers attending Polaris Events:

Chicago Willis Tower
November 15 2016
  1. goodeats21
  2. Cybertronic
  3. tcdtcd +1
  4. LASUA1K
  5. COSPILOT
  6. Milepig +1
  7. JDT1955 +1
  8. ORDOGG
  9. EWRFlyerAL
  10. villox+1

DEN:
Aug 11, 2016
  1. jjmoore + 1

EWR: (Terminal C, Premier Lobby)
Aug 18, 2016
  1. PsiFighter37 + 1
  2. Billiken. EXTRA TICKET AVAILABLE
  3. EWR764 +1
  4. jackexu
  5. micp3208 (might have an extra)
  6. awu25
  7. UASleeper
  8. AugustW
  9. Readog
  10. goldelite8

IAD - Dulles International Airport (Main Terminal, Ticket Lobby)
Aug 31, 2016
  1. FlyHighInTheSky +1
  2. Alpha Golf
  3. ChrisNY2 +1
  4. IADFlyer123 +1
  5. Portolan + 1
  6. mtbaker + 1
  7. BigBossman +1
  8. Robert +1
  9. thezipper
  10. BZRORG (might have a space open)
  11. thorpeflyer (has a space open)
  12. mh3265a +1
  13. euslaner + 1
  14. Taoyuan

IAH:
Sep 07, 2016
  1. kirkwoodj
  2. AndyInSaigon +1
  3. txaggiemiles
  4. aacharya (might have a space open)
    dmunz +1
  5. azj (may also have a +1 opening, depending on babysitter)

SFO - Dogpatch Studios / 991 Tennessee Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
Sept 27, 2016
  1. MatthewLAX
  2. goalie
  3. SF_DUKE
  4. Sykes
  5. Popoemt
  6. Pat89339
  7. dordal

Questions/Requests for Event Attendees

For those unable to attend, please post any questions you would like attendees to ask of UA staff at the various events. Attendees, please feel free to fill in your own answers/observations.

Hopefully this exercise will get the UA FT community up to speed on the product, and perhaps allow us to offer the company some actionable feedback before the Polaris rollout.

Originally Posted by tuolumne
My question would be relating to aircraft type and the requisite amount of dimensional variations.

I.e, do we have another situation wherein the 787 seat is going to be smaller in every dimension than the 777 seat a la AA's [Zodiac] Concept D seat, or CO's Super Diamond seat? If so, are they showing the 777 seat model at these events
Originally Posted by WormGod
1. I travel with my wife. Do any of the new seat configurations allow interaction (e.g. talking, sharing food)? Hard to tell from the United pics.
2. Does this mean that I will be able to enjoy the same meal in the lounge that I would have on the plane? Will I still be able to get a meal on the plane if I have one in the lounge (e.g. if I am rushed and cannot finish the meal before boarding)?
Observations

Originally Posted by jjmoore
The DEN event was actually quite nice. Enjoyed a glass of Pinot, which was actually very good. Nibbled on some of the cuisine as well, which was above average compared to past experience with UA. I wouldn't say great, but above par.

Here are a few notes to share after asking some questions to the staff that was present at the event:
  1. First and foremost, the seats are quite comfortable, and are more spacious (6'6") and private than current BF sCO seats. No more climbing over other pax to access the aisle!!!
  2. The inside seats are far more private than the outside seats. I do not like how the outside seats are nearly flush with the walkway. I would be concerned that people walking by may bump into my actual seat.
  3. The tray tables are sophisticated yet simple - they can be positioned to be completely available and still allow the pax to exit the seat to the aisle. They have a little flip slot for tablets to prop up. Very nice.
  4. There was not nearly enough knowledge among the staff about menus and meal choices on flights. They have not published any menus, and the only information being distributed is that there is a large variety of main course options, and the choices for a given flight will be seasonal, as well as route dependent.
  5. The memory foam pillow is fantastic - I can't wait to use this one.
  6. make-down bedding is available (comforter), but they were very direct in saying that there won't be enough to accommodate every Polaris seat on the plane. They will be first-come first-serve.
  7. I appreciate that I will be able to enjoy my meal in the Polaris lounge, and not have to worry about having to stay awake for the first 3 hours of a TATL / TPAC flight in order to get my meal. In-flight, there will be an open refreshment and snack bar for those that wish to dine / graze at will. There will be a "do not disturb" button that will notify the FA's to not bother.
  8. I got mixed responses on the route for the inaugural flight (some believe it will be a hub-hub, and a couple believed it would be EWR-TPAC. They all were consistent in saying that the inaugural 777-300 flight would occur sometime in December, as UA plans to take possession of the aircraft by Dec. 1. I hope for EWR-SFO.... wishful thinking. It will probably end up being some silly route like ORD-IAD... who knows?..
Originally Posted by Juventini
The other piece of info from United people tonight: They are planning to retrofit all 772ERs first, both sUA and sCO in two years and GF eventually will be gone.
Originally Posted by DEN
The seats were very interesting however. The center quad seats were fully functional and, although I felt a little claustrophobic, they were comfortable. It took a bit of time to understand the controls and where everything is. One set of two seats (everyone has isle access of course) seems to be a bit more confined due to the layout but I was told they are all the same size wise, it's just an optical thing. I think I'd have to actually fly in both to see if I preferred one or the other. The window seat display was roped off so it wasn't available to try but looked similar in size and functionality.

One question I did ask is if there is any in-seat storage during take off and landing and the answer was no. You could tuck away a phone or iPad probably, but not much else.

Equipment, food and amenities were all addressed, that just leaves the cabin crew. There is always room for improvement in this area with United.

I was told by one host that a Polaris Lounge was scheduled for DEN. Two further questioned hosts said there were no plans for a lounge in DEN, which makes more sense. The airports mentioned were EWR, ORD, SFO and IAH, but no time frame was offered.
Print Wikipost

Invitation to UA Private Event - Polaris Related

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:34 am

Well.... I reserved two tickets, but after doing that I realized I probably won't be going, only because they have a 21+ age restriction, and my 18 (19 then) year old body won't be able attend.

Obviously, I have objections to this, but if I was 21, I would have absolutely no problem. I kind of understand the rule, but I think that if the accompaniment is over a certain age or a parent, kids over 12 shouldn't be a problem.

While no one here cares, I've attended similar baseball events (I know it's FlyerTalk, I just have a follow up question later, stay with me) as I write on MLB.com, and generate over 2k views per day. Obviously, I'm not a professional journalist, but it's not like I haven't been to comparable events.

Anyway, the reason I wrote the above paragraph is because I was wondering if there is an email I could write to see if an exception can be made. For example, some MLB Parks prohibit press credential give out for people under 19, but after sending an email to the media relations guy, an exception was able to be made.

Obviously, this is a slightly different situation, and it's not the end of the world if I can't travel an hour away to Newark, but I would like to know if there is an email I could send an exception request to. Thanks, and I apologize for flaunting about my other hobby, I just wanted to give an example, not sound cocky. Sorry in advance.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Warning: it appears there are only 4 sets of tickets left for DEN.

Originally Posted by azzurro
I got the email invite and RSVP'ed for DEN. My wife, who shares my status, did not get the email but when she logged in the invite was available under the premier exclusives link. Seems like all MP members can login, maybe a Gold or Plat can let us know if the invite/RSVP link is there for them?
As already stated, I could also RSVP for the DEN event as a gold--if I was in town. If that wasn't enough, I'm also missing a private tour of Blue Moon's new brewery in RiNo the following night.

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Not sure what business casual is for a woman in Denver these days, though.
This is Denver. Business casual means you don't have any rips in your jeans and you're wearing your "good" flip-flops.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Well.... I reserved two tickets, but after doing that I realized I probably won't be going, only because they have a 21+ age restriction, and my 18 (19 then) year old body won't be able attend.

Obviously, I have objections to this, but if I was 21, I would have absolutely no problem. I kind of understand the rule, but I think that if the accompaniment is over a certain age or a parent, kids over 12 shouldn't be a problem.

While no one here cares, I've attended similar baseball events (I know it's FlyerTalk, I just have a follow up question later, stay with me) as I write on MLB.com, and generate over 2k views per day. Obviously, I'm not a professional journalist, but it's not like I haven't been to comparable events.

Anyway, the reason I wrote the above paragraph is because I was wondering if there is an email I could write to see if an exception can be made. For example, some MLB Parks prohibit press credential give out for people under 19, but after sending an email to the media relations guy, an exception was able to be made.

Obviously, this is a slightly different situation, and it's not the end of the world if I can't travel an hour away to Newark, but I would like to know if there is an email I could send an exception request to. Thanks, and I apologize for flaunting about my other hobby, I just wanted to give an example, not sound cocky. Sorry in advance.
Since it has an open bar, I think it is 21+ for legal reasons. They might have their hands tied.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
Since it has an open bar, I think it is 21+ for legal reasons. They might have their hands tied.

Well fiddlesticks. I had already RSVP when I saw that. Why does the US have to have archaic liquor laws? I don't even want booze, I just want to see the seat and so on!

Last edited by dinoscool3; Aug 9, 2016 at 10:42 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Warning: it appears there are only 4 sets of tickets left for DEN.
Aaaaaand... they're gone.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by blahmeh14
And that's something I completely understand, acknowledge, and respect. And if the person who I email states that's the reason and there is no flexibility, I will thank him for inviting me to the prestigious event in the first place, and never bother him again.

I'm just saying that sometimes if I ask politely, they budge if I accept to some other restrictions (having an accompaniment over a certain age, staying in a certain area, exc.)

But obviously, get credentialed field & clubhouse access to a baseball is a little different than attending a major event of an international airline.

I guess I'll just email the person when my tickets are delivered, see what they say and take it from there.

Thanks for the response!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Well fiddlesticks. I was ready to RSVP when I saw that. Why does the US have to have archaic liquor laws? I don't even want booze, I just want to see the seat and so on!
Me too. I just want to feel the seats, taste some of the food and snap some pictures, considering I won't be able to do any of that until 2019, and I'll only be able to do it then if my financial situation is acceptable....
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I got the email invite and RSVP'ed for DEN. My wife, who shares my status, did not get the email but when she logged in the invite was available under the premier exclusives link. Seems like all MP members can login, maybe a Gold or Plat can let us know if the invite/RSVP link is there for them?
[/I]
Worked for this Gold MM for IAD.

Thanks for the link!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Me too. I just want to feel the seats, taste some of the food and snap some pictures, considering I won't be able to do any of that until 2019, and I'll only be able to do it then if my financial situation is acceptable....
I'll do the same thing you're doing, email the person when the tickets are delivered. I'm in a similar boat, also signed up for EWR and my mother would be with me. Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
IAH is grey'ed out now. Enjoy, guys!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by teeceedee
IAH is grey'ed out now. Enjoy, guys!
EWR grey'd out as well, showing "Sold Out"
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
[/I]
Thanks for the tip azzurro. Just signed up for IAD.

We should do a wiki on who's going to each maybe?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Business casual means you don't have any rips in your jeans and you're wearing your "good" flip-flops.

Planning on the newer Keen sandals even

See you there !
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Business casual means you don't have any rips in your jeans and you're wearing your "good" flip-flops.

Planning on the newer Keen sandals even

See you there !
Leave the Sanuks at home
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Just confirmed my spot for the IAD event! Cant wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.