Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Invitation to UA Private Event - Polaris Related

Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: villox
FTers attending Polaris Events:

Chicago Willis Tower
November 15 2016
  1. goodeats21
  2. Cybertronic
  3. tcdtcd +1
  4. LASUA1K
  5. COSPILOT
  6. Milepig +1
  7. JDT1955 +1
  8. ORDOGG
  9. EWRFlyerAL
  10. villox+1

DEN:
Aug 11, 2016
  1. jjmoore + 1

EWR: (Terminal C, Premier Lobby)
Aug 18, 2016
  1. PsiFighter37 + 1
  2. Billiken. EXTRA TICKET AVAILABLE
  3. EWR764 +1
  4. jackexu
  5. micp3208 (might have an extra)
  6. awu25
  7. UASleeper
  8. AugustW
  9. Readog
  10. goldelite8

IAD - Dulles International Airport (Main Terminal, Ticket Lobby)
Aug 31, 2016
  1. FlyHighInTheSky +1
  2. Alpha Golf
  3. ChrisNY2 +1
  4. IADFlyer123 +1
  5. Portolan + 1
  6. mtbaker + 1
  7. BigBossman +1
  8. Robert +1
  9. thezipper
  10. BZRORG (might have a space open)
  11. thorpeflyer (has a space open)
  12. mh3265a +1
  13. euslaner + 1
  14. Taoyuan

IAH:
Sep 07, 2016
  1. kirkwoodj
  2. AndyInSaigon +1
  3. txaggiemiles
  4. aacharya (might have a space open)
    dmunz +1
  5. azj (may also have a +1 opening, depending on babysitter)

SFO - Dogpatch Studios / 991 Tennessee Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
Sept 27, 2016
  1. MatthewLAX
  2. goalie
  3. SF_DUKE
  4. Sykes
  5. Popoemt
  6. Pat89339
  7. dordal

Questions/Requests for Event Attendees

For those unable to attend, please post any questions you would like attendees to ask of UA staff at the various events. Attendees, please feel free to fill in your own answers/observations.

Hopefully this exercise will get the UA FT community up to speed on the product, and perhaps allow us to offer the company some actionable feedback before the Polaris rollout.

Originally Posted by tuolumne
My question would be relating to aircraft type and the requisite amount of dimensional variations.

I.e, do we have another situation wherein the 787 seat is going to be smaller in every dimension than the 777 seat a la AA's [Zodiac] Concept D seat, or CO's Super Diamond seat? If so, are they showing the 777 seat model at these events
Originally Posted by WormGod
1. I travel with my wife. Do any of the new seat configurations allow interaction (e.g. talking, sharing food)? Hard to tell from the United pics.
2. Does this mean that I will be able to enjoy the same meal in the lounge that I would have on the plane? Will I still be able to get a meal on the plane if I have one in the lounge (e.g. if I am rushed and cannot finish the meal before boarding)?
Observations

Originally Posted by jjmoore
The DEN event was actually quite nice. Enjoyed a glass of Pinot, which was actually very good. Nibbled on some of the cuisine as well, which was above average compared to past experience with UA. I wouldn't say great, but above par.

Here are a few notes to share after asking some questions to the staff that was present at the event:
  1. First and foremost, the seats are quite comfortable, and are more spacious (6'6") and private than current BF sCO seats. No more climbing over other pax to access the aisle!!!
  2. The inside seats are far more private than the outside seats. I do not like how the outside seats are nearly flush with the walkway. I would be concerned that people walking by may bump into my actual seat.
  3. The tray tables are sophisticated yet simple - they can be positioned to be completely available and still allow the pax to exit the seat to the aisle. They have a little flip slot for tablets to prop up. Very nice.
  4. There was not nearly enough knowledge among the staff about menus and meal choices on flights. They have not published any menus, and the only information being distributed is that there is a large variety of main course options, and the choices for a given flight will be seasonal, as well as route dependent.
  5. The memory foam pillow is fantastic - I can't wait to use this one.
  6. make-down bedding is available (comforter), but they were very direct in saying that there won't be enough to accommodate every Polaris seat on the plane. They will be first-come first-serve.
  7. I appreciate that I will be able to enjoy my meal in the Polaris lounge, and not have to worry about having to stay awake for the first 3 hours of a TATL / TPAC flight in order to get my meal. In-flight, there will be an open refreshment and snack bar for those that wish to dine / graze at will. There will be a "do not disturb" button that will notify the FA's to not bother.
  8. I got mixed responses on the route for the inaugural flight (some believe it will be a hub-hub, and a couple believed it would be EWR-TPAC. They all were consistent in saying that the inaugural 777-300 flight would occur sometime in December, as UA plans to take possession of the aircraft by Dec. 1. I hope for EWR-SFO.... wishful thinking. It will probably end up being some silly route like ORD-IAD... who knows?..
Originally Posted by Juventini
The other piece of info from United people tonight: They are planning to retrofit all 772ERs first, both sUA and sCO in two years and GF eventually will be gone.
Originally Posted by DEN
The seats were very interesting however. The center quad seats were fully functional and, although I felt a little claustrophobic, they were comfortable. It took a bit of time to understand the controls and where everything is. One set of two seats (everyone has isle access of course) seems to be a bit more confined due to the layout but I was told they are all the same size wise, it's just an optical thing. I think I'd have to actually fly in both to see if I preferred one or the other. The window seat display was roped off so it wasn't available to try but looked similar in size and functionality.

One question I did ask is if there is any in-seat storage during take off and landing and the answer was no. You could tuck away a phone or iPad probably, but not much else.

Equipment, food and amenities were all addressed, that just leaves the cabin crew. There is always room for improvement in this area with United.

I was told by one host that a Polaris Lounge was scheduled for DEN. Two further questioned hosts said there were no plans for a lounge in DEN, which makes more sense. The airports mentioned were EWR, ORD, SFO and IAH, but no time frame was offered.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First

Hi All,

Just received this private event invite for Polaris. Seems interesting. I RSVPed for Denver location (there are four locations).
----
The United Polaris showcase will be making stops in a city near you in the upcoming weeks, including:

■ The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa Denver August 11
■ Newark Airport August 18
■ Dulles International Airport August 31
■ Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport September 7

This complimentary event is limited to MileagePlus Premier members, and their guests, 21 and over. Dress is business casual. Guests do not need a scheduled flight to attend airport events. Space is limited.

This experience includes:
■ Two tickets to be among the first to explore the United Polaris showcase
■ Complimentary food and beverages with selections inspired by The Trotter Project and United Polaris
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Nice, pics as it goes please! (If allowed of course).
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
DEN folks got the best location.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Curious that Denver should be on the road show list -- given that there are hardly any international flights from DEN that will have Polaris -- and the expectation that there will be no Polaris lounge there.

And SFO and LAX are not listed at all. No Polaris for you you left coasters.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by seenitall
Curious that Denver should be on the road show list -- given that there are hardly any international flights from DEN that will have Polaris -- and the expectation that there will be no Polaris lounge there.

Yes, that struck me as a bit strange as well. Maybe future events planned?

I also wonder about the criteria for invitations...
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
For those attending: be sure to demand an ice cream sundae if they serve dessert.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by seenitall

And no ORD/Chicago area event? Maybe because they already had a Chicago press event, just after the NY debut?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA GS
Very excited for this. RSVP'd for the IAD event! Who else is coming?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Booked IAH
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Also booked IAH ^
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Booked EWR. Seems like it'll be an event where people wander in and out (like a museum)? I can't imagine they'll have things scheduled for 5 hours straight.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Shame the Houston event isn't at 1600 Smith, like the Denver event is in-town.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by mduell
Shame the Houston event isn't at 1600 Smith, like the Denver event is in-town.
LOL

(that's the former CO HQ, for all you sUAers)
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Will be at the Denver event in a couple days. Pictures and a small report will be forthcoming.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
Will be at EWR event. Would be great to meet other ft'lers. Feel free to pm if you are also attending the EWR event.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.