Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Howste
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsk1973

This is probably the busiest travel site on the internet and the thread is only four pages long, which suggests the problem is mostly isolated to a small percentage of users.

Not everyone visits the website every day. I happened to have some flights on UA this week so I visited the website, but was too busy to deal with it then. I'm guessing many people have just pushed it off until later.
I'm not touching my password for weeks. What's the hurry?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by stimpy
It would be nice to remove all their web development costs and focus just on mobile apps.
Anyone who can use an app can use a web page. The reverse is not true. United would lose much of its business if they went this route.

You know what websites will never engage in this stupid behavior? Bank websites.
Two of my banks have security questions, though at least they're free-form and not "pick a winner".

Last edited by mahasamatman; Feb 14, 2016 at 2:27 pm Reason: Response was a bit harsh.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:50 pm

You know what websites will never engage in this stupid behavior? Bank websites. And they have vastly better security than these travel companies.
Both my former credit union, my current bank, and my mother's bank engage in this same "stupid" behavior.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
For those having trouble logging in from the main page tile, try logging in using this page instead:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...t/account.aspx

That worked for me when I coulnd't log in from the main page tile.
After trying on a different computer I was able to set the security questions for my "locked out" account (lol great security there) and now I can login with the homepage tile. But even after I do (and see my information on the other tiles), if I click on My Account, I have to login again at the page you referenced.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Wrong. Two of my banks have security questions, though at least they're free-form and not "pick a winner".
Free form is ok. But if it was "pick a winner" I'm sure you could contact the bank and ask them to provide you a security method that worked instead of forcing you to choose a question that is meaningless to you and you will never remember. And in the case of a bank, I think there are laws in your favor to keep them from preventing your access to your money.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well something is definitely getting worse. I am trying to book a flight and get the "sign in to see Mileage Plus Upgrade options" (or some such message)....it will not let me login using either a PIN or a password from the flight details screen...so I click on "United" and go back to the homepage where it remembers me but I am still not logged in....so I click on one of my reservations to view the seat map where I can login and view it....I then go back to reservations to book a round trip and I am still logged in but every time I got to select a flight it says "We are unable to process your request. Please see the message below for details. We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request. Please try later or contact united.com Support in the U.S. and Canada at 1-888-491-6573; the U.K., phone 0800 028 5003; elsewhere use the local phone number."

There is just so much of a mess going on here. And I haven't even changed my password, I am an "Update Later" person.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
And in the case of a bank, I think there are laws in your favor to keep them from preventing your access to your money.
I doubt that a poor website would be considered preventing access, but maybe that just means the laws need to be brought forward into this century.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt that a poor website would be considered preventing access, but maybe that just means the laws need to be brought forward into this century.
In the US, the laws will probably vary by state when it comes to retail banking. But I'm sure you are right that many laws require updating. Still no matter what the technology is, if the consumer cannot access his money, send a transfer, etc., then I think the bank could be so ordered by the court. But it would never get that far because the banks wouldn't shut people out like United and Starwood do. IMHO.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:38 pm

if the consumer cannot access his money, send a transfer, etc., then I think the bank could be so ordered by the court.
Happens all the time when sites are down for maintenance and it's outside normal business hours. Nobody can guarantee 24-hour access to anything. Any propsed legislation that would requires it would be inherently flawed - more so than united.com even.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happens all the time when sites are down for maintenance and it's outside normal business hours. Nobody can guarantee 24-hour access to anything. Any propsed legislation that would requires it would be inherently flawed - more so than united.com even.
Um, outages are not the same as policy.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Just went in to my account and my wife's - answered the security questions and changed the password in each. Logged out and then logged on again with the new passwords. Everything seems OK.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
I have a problem similar to the one others reported as well. I login, go to make a flight reservation, and cannot see fare class availability. When I go back to US home page, I am no longer logged in. Seems like the problem started after I changed from a PIN to a password.

I wish UA would not use its customers as beta-testers!

Edit: Clearing united cookies solved the problem.
Update: Looks like this fix does not stick. Once your login times out, you need to remove the cookies again.

Last edited by FreFly; Feb 15, 2016 at 12:41 pm
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Despite not having changed my password (27 days until I do!) I cannot login on the flight search pages at all, I have to login elsewhere and then return to the flight search to see my saved searches and the fare class availability. And I still cannot book flights. I have not tried clearing cache/cookies/different browser.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Once you update your account with a strong password and security questions, you'll no longer be able to use your PIN to sign in.
Look at this picture below of your login window. Still asking for a PIN even though I have set my password.

BTW the red asterisk is not reference elsewhere on the page.

Last edited by Michael D; Feb 15, 2016 at 8:46 am Reason: grammer
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Both my former credit union, my current bank, and my mother's bank engage in this same "stupid" behavior.
No they don't. They may have security questions, but once you answer them, they will NOT just let you reset your password and have immediate access to your account - they'll likely either email or text you as an additional layer, which United doesn't do.

There's no requirement that banks allow you access to your accounts online. If the website isn't working, you still have the same option bank customers have had for the history of banks: Walk into one during business hours and transact your business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.