Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by mreplus

* Not everyone answers the same questions

- If not everyone gets the questions the same way are the answers different too?
It looks like even the same account can get different questions. I logged in earlier today, saw the questions that seemed impossible to answer (or at least give answers that I would remember tomorrow!), and decided to put off doing it until later. I just logged in again now, and my questions are totally different (with answers that I can remember - although scarily anyone who knows me could probably answer most of them too!)
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
It looks like even the same account can get different questions. I logged in earlier today, saw the questions that seemed impossible to answer (or at least give answers that I would remember tomorrow!), and decided to put off doing it until later. I just logged in again now, and my questions are totally different (with answers that I can remember - although scarily anyone who knows me could probably answer most of them too!)
Security questions are pretty much worthless if answered honestly and can easily be "figured out" by anyone dedicated enough to try and hack you personally (social engineering is not very difficult). I always recommend using a password manager and answering all security questions with either gibberish or complex strings - then saving those to your password manager to recall them later if necessary.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
All I needed to do was the choose my 5 questions and answers. No change to my password, at least not now. Everything works as it should.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Baze
When I did the update this morning it specifically said the pin would be retained for phone redemptions etc. Just will not be valid for logging in anymore after the transition period.
Thank god. I actually just emailed support this week about the weak state of security on united. I can't believe how long it's taken them to implement proper password logins - lets hope they aren't storing them in plaintext.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Glad I never set a PIN

I still login using my UA original MP number too, just for my own petulance sake.
I'm doing this from now on! I liked my old number way better
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by gayste
I was in some weird state where I had my old # and my new # and the site would only take my old # with pin but I needed my new number for some transactions. The new number never worked with pin or password - in fact, my password never worked for anything, ever, I don't think? I had 4 "passwords" saved for united and never knew which scenario I had to use one or the other.

Finally updated settings today and can delete all the extra crap I had saved over the years.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gayste
Quote:

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Glad I never set a PIN

I still login using my UA original MP number too, just for my own petulance sake.

Makes me wonder why they didn't simply migrate the UA numbers - they still work wherever I have tried them

Last year in fact I needed the old number for a TK flight when the new one didn't take.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:55 am

I (don't) love these questions:

On what day of the week did you last eat broccoli?

I suppose they think favorite book or mother's maiden name are not secure. Maybe I will use the answer "banana" for all five questions.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Complete crash and burn . Cannot get into the site in anyway shape or form.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Logged in w/ password I set up months ago (had to dig around for it), answered security questions (brussel sprouts ) - now good to go...no problems.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Profile email address handling completely broken?

When logging into united.com recently to check in for a flight, I was prompted to update my profile for security reasons. However, it then presented me with a screen asking me to confirm my email address. There was a box containing my correct email address, but when I went to click on it, it kept telling me invalid email address and wouldn't let me proceed further.

Finally, I added a different email address. However, this is one that previously could not receive any promotions from united, so I was not too happy about the prospect of losing promotions. It accepted that email address, prompted me for some security questions and a new password, then finally presented me with options to get my boarding pass.

For the boarding pass options, email was an option, but it contained a garbled verson of my old email address (the one I had just changed). Basically a '+' sign had changed into a '}'. Even after changing it back, the site wouldn't send me a boarding pass, so I had to use my new email address again. Later on, checking my profile, I had multiple identical email addresses for both the old and new address.

Anyone else had problems like this? Is it worth calling web support?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
still on the phone with Web support they cannot figure out why the system is not working
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:37 pm

Could not get in with MP # and PIN. Found password.

Picked questions and answers. New password. Enter res info (SFO>SIN) and use GPU Y>C or P/Z outright. Outbound shows R available, but no listing of GPU's, only miles, but only for F. Picked outbound with lowest paid C, then...

"We are unable to process your request. Please see the message below for details.

"We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request. Please try later or contact united.com Support in the U.S. and Canada at 1-888-491-6573; the U.K., phone 0800 028 5003; elsewhere use the local phone number."

Same ro....... four times.

United IT strikes again.

Last edited by robbeck1; Feb 12, 2016 at 1:39 pm Reason: Why would "road block" be censored?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Too bad they didn't fix the "remember me" button at the same time.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver
The switch worked for me flawlessly on my Kindle in bed last night. Guess I was lucky.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.