Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
In the "what's new" for the Android app it has the cryptic "reset your mileageplus password". I installed it but no further action needed by me, I presume as my password meets their new standards.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: UAL-1K/MM, Marriott-Lifetime Platinum, SPG - Platinum
Angry

Thanks for the inof.

I logged off. When signing back in, I indicated that I forgot my password. I filled out the next screen with my name and MP#.

It told me that my name didn't match the MP account listed.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Platinum; probably missing something
It took me two computers and two browsers to find one that would let me get out of the security question loop and set a password. Closed out, logged back in, now it tells me my credentials are invalid.

I've been on the phone with customer service twice and I get the impression that they didn't know this was happening till they started getting these phone calls. The second one transferred me to MileagePlus support, where a very patient-sounding woman assured me that they're aware that there have been "a few glitches" and they expect to have them ironed out within 24 hours.

Agree with the comments about the bizarre security questions. Favorite vacation? Would that be in summer or winter? With who?

Last edited by domerdeb; Feb 12, 2016 at 5:00 pm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I looked at the questions and decided to wait until I really have to do it. Pretty lame IMO.

Originally Posted by clkc86
The switch worked for me flawlessly on my Kindle in bed last night. Guess I was lucky.
At least somebody got lucky in bed last night...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by robbeck1
Could not get in with MP # and PIN. Found password.

Picked questions and answers. New password. Enter res info (SFO>SIN) and use GPU Y>C or P/Z outright. Outbound shows R available, but no listing of GPU's, only miles, but only for F. Picked outbound with lowest paid C, then...

"We are unable to process your request. Please see the message below for details.

"We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request. Please try later or contact united.com Support in the U.S. and Canada at 1-888-491-6573; the U.K., phone 0800 028 5003; elsewhere use the local phone number."

Same ro....... four times.

United IT strikes again.
Got same problem on Firefox this AM.
Went to IE and no issues.

Does this help?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
I can't even login to my account to get the new questions... the login button just refreshes the tile in the same not-logged-in state with no error message.
Aaand now I'm locked out of my account. Great job UA.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Last night I chose a flight through ITA matrix and went to book it on United. I tried to log in for 15 mins in various ways (including rebooting and a different browser). No matter what I did I couldn't log in. It was getting late and I eventually gave up. Good job United IT support - loosing sales and ticking off people is the way to bring in more fares....
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Which would have been helpful for United to add to your quoted text above.
Agreed. I provided that feedback when I was contacted about the issue.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by UA Insider
You’ll only be prompted to create a new password if your existing password doesn’t already meet the requirements of being a minimum eight characters including at least one letter and one number.
If only that were really true.

I use 1Password to set passwords for all websites. All websites have different passwords, and I generally use the longest password that a website will allow me to use. (For banks, that means 8 letters and numbers with no special characters, of course! )

My United password is 32 characters with 2 digits and 3 special characters. And still, I was prompted to reset my password upon logging in...

-mvitale
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
What a mess..

I have been logging on with my Mileage number and password and now cannot. Can't get to any reservations or anything. I guess misery loves company.

Originally Posted by MCLC
I just tried to login with my MP# and password (I never use the PIN) and it just took me back to the login page to try again. I can't even get to a point where I'm asked security questions.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM
I just did the five questions, was not given the option of changing the password (I was only using a pin) and then of course couldn't get back in. Called MP service center and a great lady there told me they have had endless calls all day long about this. I finally just went through the 'forgot password' link and reset the password. So far it seems to be OK - but really, someone in IT should have tested this out before implementing it. I can only imagine how many calls about this there have been into MP and UA over the past 48 hours. Unless maybe not that many people actually use the website - except for FTers
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
United IT really is amateur hour isn't it.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by lax2jfk2lax
Trouble is all my friends who are close to me could answer those questions.
Consider those questions to be "what is Password One?", "what is Password Two?" etc. As long as you can remember which answer goes with which question, there's no requirement for veracity. That's only a crutch to help you remember them.

At least that's the way it works for other web sites, I haven't tried loging in to my UA account yet, and from one of the responses above, it appears that they may have canned answers to select from --- that would defeat the basic purpose.

[ clickity clickity ]

Yup. I just logged in and had a look at the new page. UAInsider, it's a seriously short-sighted way to encode things. What if my first language is not English (it isn't), or I'm not fluent (thankfully, I am)?

Nevertheless, there is no requirement for veracity in your responses. You can still pick an arbitrary question / answer combination, as long as you have a good means for remembering them.

Last edited by jpezaris; Feb 13, 2016 at 4:14 am Reason: updated with more information
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:21 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by Waldofriend
I just did the five questions, was not given the option of changing the password (I was only using a pin) and then of course couldn't get back in. Called MP service center and a great lady there told me they have had endless calls all day long about this. I finally just went through the 'forgot password' link and reset the password. So far it seems to be OK - but really, someone in IT should have tested this out before implementing it. I can only imagine how many calls about this there have been into MP and UA over the past 48 hours. Unless maybe not that many people actually use the website - except for FTers
Same thing happened to Mr. Ericka. Had to reset the password.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
FWIW, the decision to not prompt everyone for a new password was made on purpose.
United's response suggests that they may not be storing passwords in encrypted form (e.g., bcrypt), as they can tell whether your current password meets their letters/symbols/length requirements. If so, that is a bad security practice: if someone does break into their system, the attacker can access unencrypted passwords.

Last edited by amislove; Feb 13, 2016 at 5:15 am Reason: Clarify

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.