Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for Global Services & 1K Members when Seated in Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...y-benefit.aspx

One way that we're enhancing the inflight experience for our most frequent flyers is by offering MileagePlus members with Premier® 1K® status free alcoholic beverages and snacks in United Economy®. If you’re a member with Premier 1K status, you'll receive one free alcoholic beverage and one free Choice Menu food item when traveling in United Economy on any United- or United Express®-operated flight system-wide, subject to availability on your flight.
Before ordering, make sure your flight attendant knows that you’re a member with Premier 1K status, and show your digital MileagePlus membership card, available in the United app, or your Premier membership card or boarding pass.

Please note that customers can request any alcoholic beverage except half-bottles of premium wines (375 mL)

All Choice Menu options, both Snack Shop and Bistro on Board items, are included

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Complimentary items are offered only to GS/1K members, regardless of other passengers who may share the same PNR.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Food & Beverage for Global Services & 1K Members when Seated in Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Here's a cautionary tale. Ordered a snackbox in Y on a recent flight. When we turned our phones back on, my GF (on same PNR) got a receipt from UA for the "purchase." I had ordered the snackbox, FA had handed it to me, and I consumed it. Checked my Amex account, and there was a new $10 UA authorization on my card.

I raised this with the FAs while deplaning. Lengthy discussion, involving pulling one up from rear of aircraft. She swore up and down she had properly entered the order as mine and that I would not be charged. Showed me the screen of her mobile device, which showed the order was mine, with my seat number.

Of course, UA processed the charge. I wrote in to 1kvoice. The response:

So I get the refund, and a backhanded assertion that we did something wrong and UA is doing me a favor. Then of course the totally empty "we appreciate your loyalty as a Premier 1K member."
It's not entirely glitch-free even on a single passenger PNR...somehow... I got a takeoff box ($8, but comped, FA verified name and seat) and bought Wifi ($8, but unreliable enough that I complained and requested a refund). Two $8 United charges hit my CC. One $8 credit also hits my CC. Wrote to 1KV to ask what was going on -- since I never got confirmation of the refund for the wifi, just a credit posted, nor could I find any receipts on United's website for the flight/PNR/CC in question. So did they decide not to refund it...or...? 1KV reply was just "sorry for the errant charge for the snackbox, we have refunded it"
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I know we love to complain, but across ten or so flights in the past month as a GS stuck in economy (a string of bad luck + hub-to-hub routes), I've had no issues with this benefit. FAs acknowledged my status, expressed empathy I got stuck in the back, and on all but one flight, I was never charged for any drinks despite having three or four. On a couple occasions, the economy FAs even proactively brought me a couple extra minis of my preferred Glenfarclas. I have no complaints.
SPN Lifer, uanj and onthesam like this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Scifience
I know we love to complain
Not really. It's just that UA gives us lots of reasons to complain. You won't hear me complain about AS's product, service, or FFP.

Originally Posted by Scifience
but across ten or so flights in the past month as a GS stuck in economy (a string of bad luck + hub-to-hub routes), I've had no issues with this benefit. FAs acknowledged my status, expressed empathy I got stuck in the back, and on all but one flight, I was never charged for any drinks despite having three or four. On a couple occasions, the economy FAs even proactively brought me a couple extra minis of my preferred Glenfarclas. I have no complaints.
Life as a GS is very very different.

I never get recognized as 1K in Y. Which is fine. I don't need bowing and scraping. I'd just like to receive the published benefits without hassle and without getting snark from 1kvoice when they're not delivered. Unfortunately, that seems too much to ask.
SPN Lifer, kilo, SS255 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Not really. It's just that UA gives us lots of reasons to complain. You won't hear me complain about AS's product, service, or FFP.

I never get recognized as 1K in Y. Which is fine. I don't need bowing and scraping. I'd just like to receive the published benefits without hassle and without getting snark from 1kvoice when they're not delivered. Unfortunately, that seems too much to ask.
It speaks to absolute inconsistency that is of UA.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 3:29 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)

occasionally life as a GS can be different. But trust me - most of the time we get the same crappy service as everyone else…
Old Jul 18, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by narvik
It's doubly wicked because United now has a "card on file" payment system, so you are 100% at the mercy of the system working properly with no immediate confirmation that it isn't. And apparently it's not even under the control of the FA either, which is quite shocking.
This is why I don't keep a card on file because I know FAs mistakenly charge items for 1Ks. But it is a pain to enter the CC every time I buy a ticket.

But last week, I got charged 1180 miles instead for a meal item. I had to call and wait on hold for 30 minutes, but they eventually gave me a rollback credit.

BTW, did the wording on the benefits recently change from one free food item to snack item?
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 11:40 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TriMe
This is why I don't keep a card on file because I know FAs mistakenly charge items for 1Ks. But it is a pain to enter the CC every time I buy a ticket.

But last week, I got charged 1180 miles instead for a meal item. I had to call and wait on hold for 30 minutes, but they eventually gave me a rollback credit.

BTW, did the wording on the benefits recently change from one free food item to snack item?
Wording may have changed (I’m not sure) but it still says this

All Choice Menu options, both Snack Shop and Bistro on Board items, are included.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TriMe
Tuesday by any chance? UA had systems issues on Tuesday which seems to have triggered confusion in their system around status. I have a pending $43 charge for an exit row seat selection (which I'm now guessing isn't going to go through given it's a week later), and an actual $10 charge for "Inflight Liquor" - although interestingly I wasn't charged for my burger on the same flight. Emailed 1K voice yesterday and although they haven't gotten back to me yet I'm sure it won't be an issue to get it refunded.

(The app did actually show me the $43 charge for seat selection during a seat change, after a same-day-change when it had also tried to charge me for seat selection. Obviously something was wrong for it to even suggest I should have to pay - I only agreed to it because I knew I would be able to get it refunded, although it seems something else kicked in to stop that actually being necessary)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First time in long time had a FA tell me “Looks like you’re a 1K, but only the snack boxes are complimentary”. HNL-SFO and FA didn’t seem like new hire. I told him “Thanks, you can go ahead and run it, but I don’t think I’ll end up being charged”. Biscuits and gravy not horrible. I’ll check my card charges and make sure some horrible new policy suddenly (and secretly) took effect.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 4:56 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Trash - I had the cheese board to/from HI the past couple of days....rarely do they even have those......so, unless the policy has changed, it is probably similar to "Old Fashion Syndrome"

the biscuits and gravy are not my cup of tea......

since it looks like I might be going in/out of HNL more in the near future - maybe our paths will cross?

-m
Old Aug 31, 2023, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfirst
Trash - I had the cheese board to/from HI the past couple of days....rarely do they even have those......so, unless the policy has changed, it is probably similar to "Old Fashion Syndrome"

the biscuits and gravy are not my cup of tea......

since it looks like I might be going in/out of HNL more in the near future - maybe our paths will cross?

-m
I’m on flights between HNL and west coast monthly. I’ll calculate odds when the bloody Mary’s wear off. But for now, Rough guess 1 in 200.

Was just charged $8 for biscuits and gravy. Note to 1K voice on way.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 31, 2023 at 8:56 pm
Old Sep 9, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Bos-SFO — FA says only snack boxes are free for 1K

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
First time in long time had a FA tell me “Looks like you’re a 1K, but only the snack boxes are complimentary”. HNL-SFO and FA didn’t seem like new hire. I told him “Thanks, you can go ahead and run it, but I don’t think I’ll end up being charged”. Biscuits and gravy not horrible. I’ll check my card charges and make sure some horrible new policy suddenly (and secretly) took effect.
am on UA 1418 in Economy. When I got the pre-order a snack email it only listed the snack boxes. It also had a blurb that said if a charge shows up when you check out of the pre-order, don’t worry, it won’t process.

anyway Flight depart3: 1130 so lunch BOB was available. I didn’t feel like any of the hot food so got a Takeoff box. Couple next to me are both 1K and when they ordered the burger and pasta, the FA said it was showing up as a charge on their card and that only the snack boxes are free for 1K. Guy asks “since when” and FA (relatively young so likely a newbie) says “always”. He went ahead and bought anyway.

So either 1) the charge showing up will not get processed or 2) there’s been a change, because I recall a bunch of free hot food meals being complementary when I ordered them in the past.

will be interested in hearing if this was just computer glitch and you don’t get charged or indeed if burgers, fruit plates are now no longer free (which doesn’t really make economic sense since a burger is $8 and a takeoff box is $10)!
Old Sep 9, 2023, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA FAs making up stuff again Will be interesting to see if UA charges this. They might ... I was recently charged $10 for domestic internet.

Never had an issue getting a burger for free ...
SPN Lifer and United747 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got my $8 refunded for biscuits and gravy I wasn’t comped 3 weeks ago. I’ll save refund e-mail in case I run into problematic FA next week.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
am on UA 1418 in Economy. When I got the pre-order a snack email it only listed the snack boxes. It also had a blurb that said if a charge shows up when you check out of the pre-order, don’t worry, it won’t process.

anyway Flight depart3: 1130 so lunch BOB was available. I didn’t feel like any of the hot food so got a Takeoff box. Couple next to me are both 1K and when they ordered the burger and pasta, the FA said it was showing up as a charge on their card and that only the snack boxes are free for 1K. Guy asks “since when” and FA (relatively young so likely a newbie) says “always”. He went ahead and bought anyway.

So either 1) the charge showing up will not get processed or 2) there’s been a change, because I recall a bunch of free hot food meals being complementary when I ordered them in the past.

will be interested in hearing if this was just computer glitch and you don’t get charged or indeed if burgers, fruit plates are now no longer free (which doesn’t really make economic sense since a burger is $8 and a takeoff box is $10)!
This happened to me last night SFO-AUS. only snack boxes were offered for free, i asked for cheese plate but was told that was not free and would be $8. i also asked "if ths was a new policy" and was told that this was always the policy. i was also told "what's the big deal, it is only 8 dollars" which was an interesting comment. FA showed me her phone which only listed snack boxes and candy/jerky as $0.00.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.