Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus Essentials and Economy Plus Enhanced Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Travel Options packages - Economy Plus Enhanced

Economy Plus Essentials

This package offers E​conomy Plus seating and an extra standard checked bag — you'll save on these travel perks by purchasing them together.

Economy Plus Enhanced

With this package, you'll receive the Essentials (Economy Plus seating and an extra standard checked bag) plus Premier AccessŽ, a United Club℠ trip pass and extra award miles for each passenger on the reservation, at a reduced cost compared to adding these features individually.
Print Wikipost

Economy Plus Essentials and Economy Plus Enhanced Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:22 pm

Hey all...

So, I just had a really annoying experience with United. Basically, the below happened (this is the email I sent to United Complaints). This was for a round trip SFO/LHR, purchased with miles, bumped up to Economy Plus with money.

Can anyone tell me if I did anything wrong with this? Or what I can do with regard to United to fix this stupidity? I'm fuming...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1. I bought my ticket back in December 2016 (flight in June 2017), and added Economy Plus, which gave me a 2nd check bag free. I selected exit row/window seat.

2. I logged on to the United site, and was asked to approve an equipment change.

3. I did so, and noticed my seat assignment changed to an aisle seat.

4. I called 4 or 5 times to try to figure out what to do in this situation, and was told I could select a different seat and retain the package I'd bought. I was told that I had been refunded money for the package when I had accepted the equipment change, but I did not see this stated when I accepted the change.

5. I selected a new Economy Plus window seat, and after approving it, my seat selection changed to NO SEAT SELECTED.

6. I called United again, and they said they were giving me my original package and selected seat at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE.

7. Afterwards, I checked, and found that I had my selected seat, but I DID NOT RETAIN MY ORIGINAL PACKAGE (I didn't have a 2nd check bag free). Also, to bump my ticket up to Economy Plus again would cost double what I'd originally paid for it.

8. I called United, and they said there was nothing they could do about this.

9. I asked for a full mileage and cash refund. I was told that I would be charged $100 (or $150, I can't recall) to get the refund!

So... How can this happen, where I chose a package and a seat months ago, my seat was changed, I changed it to another seat in the same section, and lost the package I had initially selected, ALL WHILE BEING INFORMED I COULD RETAIN THE WHOLE PACKAGE? And would be CHARGED to fix it?

This is completely NOT acceptable - from my perspective as a customer, I was promised a certain package, it was changed, and I lost my initial package, all the while being told that I would retain my initial package.

I am VERY dissatisfied, both with these technical glitches, AND with being told false information by your employees.

What can you do to make this right? I've never experienced such incompetence from United before. :-(
Also, they seemed to indicate that I was getting my money back that I'd paid for Economy Plus, but still getting Economy Plus seats, but looking at the flight purchase, it doesn't appear to be so. I don't want to wait around until flight time, only to find I'll need to pay an extra $100 each way for the 2nd checked bag....

I'd like to talk to someone at United who has some kind of power and can help me with this. The supervisor I was put in touch with sounded rather world-weary and was completely unhelpful.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 6, 2017 at 5:54 pm Reason: cleaned up title
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:27 pm

Dispute the charges and also file a DOT complaint, perhaps?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tbessie
Or what I can do with regard to United to fix this stupidity?
I wouldn't do anything (except to check the credit card to find out whether or not the package was refunded). You have the seat assignment, and you should have a receipt that lists two free bags. Bring the receipt with you to check-in. If they insist upon charging you, show the receipt; if they still insist, pay it and then ask for a refund after the fact. (The 'regular' charge for a second bag on SFO-LHR is $100).

I agree that UA's systems could use some improvement, but in this case, I wouldn't worry.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi
Dispute the charges and also file a DOT complaint, perhaps?
Always a possibility - seems messed up that they should be able to get away with this kind of thing.

What I think I'll do is call back again another day/time, and check to see if they indeed did issue a refund for my upgrade. If they did and they're sure it's going through, then I can just use that money to buy the 2nd checked bag, and write it off as an annoyance (and hope United gets back to me re: my complaint).

Originally Posted by jsloan
I wouldn't do anything (except to check the credit card to find out whether or not the package was refunded). You have the seat assignment, and you should have a receipt that lists two free bags. Bring the receipt with you to check-in. If they insist upon charging you, show the receipt; if they still insist, pay it and then ask for a refund after the fact. (The 'regular' charge for a second bag on SFO-LHR is $100).

I agree that UA's systems could use some improvement, but in this case, I wouldn't worry.
Yeah, I said as much just above - make the best of the annoyance. :-/

Thanks for your additional suggestions. :-)

What's funny is, the current receipt says "1 free bag". The flight details say "2 free bags" - two different systems that don't talk to each other, perhaps?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 6, 2017 at 5:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
This all seems pretty par for the course with the miserable reservations system UA is now on.

The $75-200 mileage redeposit fee is standard/published; they're not going to waive it over some seat selection drama.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm going guess you purchased Economy Plus Essentials which includes E+ seat and 1 additional bag

However, once you got reaccommodated for the aircraft change, you got booked with standard Economy Plus Access (which does not include the extra bag).

Additionally the standard process in these situations to to charge you a second time for the E+ and separate fund the first charge. (Terrible approach but it is what is done). The refund may not come until actual travel dates (the house wins the money float).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 6, 2017 at 6:02 pm Reason: links
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I'm going guess you purchased Economy Plus Essentials which includes E+ seat and 1 additional bag
I believe so, yes. I did that last year for the same trip, as well, and the agents at the airport counter didn't want to honor it (as THEIR system said I only had one bag) - in the outgoing flight, the supervisor agent exhasperatedly gave it to me anyway after I firmly complained about it. On the way back, I carried documentation, and they didn't question it.

If they didn't refund any of my money after all this (and thus I'm paying the same amount, minus the free bag) then I'll see what I can do at the airport; or, perhaps, the complaints department will give me something.

If they haven't refunded anything and I can't get the free bag at the airport, then, in effect, they've charged me for the package I was promised, and then removed part of the package, but had me pay the same price. There's got to be something shady about that, in practice, no?

Additionally the standard process in this situations to to charge you a second time for the E+ and separate fund the first charge. (Terrible approach but it is what is done). The refund may not come until actual travel dates (the house wins the money float).
What does this mean, then? That they charge me the original price, and then charge me more to get back what I'd initially paid for? Isn't that illegal somehow?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... What's funny is, the current receipt says "1 free bag". The flight details say "2 free bags" - two different systems that don't talk to each other, perhaps?
Go to Manage Reservations and have the e-receipt sent to you -- that should sync up the displaced info? What does the receipt you receive via email report?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:10 pm

Go to Manage Reservations and have the e-receipt sent to you -- that should sync up the displaced info? What does the receipt you receive via email report?
Not sure yet - I'm unable to see it from work (my email at home is via a system that my work firewall doesn't allow). But I'll check it when I get home and report back.

Meanwhile, I just called United again, and the agent said I'm getting back my original package purchase, which was $278 each way (I had forgotten how much I'd paid for it, so I was mistaken in thinking an upgrade would have been more - it actually would have been less by about $80 each way). This means, if they're correct, that after I pay for the 2nd bag, I'll actually be ahead by $356 - in which case I railed at the supervisor for no good reason (except for my own inconvenience and slightly less comfortable seating). That would explain the world-weary sound of the supervisor's voice ("What does this guy want? We already gave him a good deal!" ;-) ).

I wonder if I should, now, write a 2nd email to Complaints and tell them that, nevermind, I'm happy with the situation... Hmm...
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:12 pm

I believe so, yes. I did that last year for the same trip, as well, and the agents at the airport counter didn't want to honor it (as THEIR system said I only had one bag) - in the outgoing flight, the supervisor agent exhasperatedly gave it to me anyway after I firmly complained about it. On the way back, I carried documentation, and they didn't question it. ...
UA personnel, especially at smaller UA airports are not very familiar with the Essentials option and not aware of the extra benefits.

If they didn't refund any of my money after all this (and thus I'm paying the same amount, minus the free bag) then I'll see what I can do at the airport; or, perhaps, the complaints department will give me something.

If they haven't refunded anything and I can't get the free bag at the airport, then, in effect, they've charged me for the package I was promised, and then removed part of the package, but had me pay the same price. There's got to be something shady about that, in practice, no? ...
Don't let their incompetence lead you to thing they have malice.
*** Sound like this is getting unwound and properly explained
Additionally the standard process in this situations to to charge you a second time for the E+ and separate fund the first charge. (Terrible approach but it is what is done). The refund may not come until actual travel dates (the house wins the money float).
What does this mean, then? That they charge me the original price, and then charge me more to get back what I'd initially paid for? Isn't that illegal somehow?
No, that's no what I was saying.

Did you get charged a second time after the change? If yes, then the first up-charge will eventually be refunded.

If no extra fee got charges, then after the charge it may have been coded as the wrong E+ option.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA
Go to Manage Reservations and have the e-receipt sent to you -- that should sync up the displaced info?
Hey, thanks, this trick worked for me for an out-of-sync receipt.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:19 pm

UA personnel, especially at smaller UA airports are not very familiar with the Essentials option and not aware of the extra benefits.
This was at SFO and LHR, but perhaps they just weren't aware of it.

Don't let their incompetence lead you to thing they have malice.
*** Sound like this is getting unwound and properly explained
Oh, I don't think they have malice; just the usual Big Company Customer Support issues. :-/

No, that's no what I was saying.

Did you get charged a second time after the change? If yes, then the first up-charge will eventually be refunded.

If no extra fee got charges, then after the charge it may have been coded as the wrong E+ option.
I didn't see any new fee on my credit card, so it looks like they left it as it was (tho' there might be a refund within 7-10 days, which I hope there will be).

Originally Posted by YadiMolina
Hey, thanks, this trick worked for me for an out-of-sync receipt.
I just tried that and, voila, they are in sync for me as well. Good trick. ;-)

EDIT: Ok, I just checked my bank account, and they DID credit me back the money for the Economy Plus package, but I still get to sit in Economy Plus. So, even after I pay for my 2nd bag, I'll still be ahead $356.00... now I feel guilty for being so demanding when talking to the customer service folks and the supervisor. Anyone think there's any way I can let United know that I'm pleased with how I was treated, and that I was wrong to have complained? I DID send a followup message to them explaining that it appears things are ok, but I wonder if there's anything else I should do...

Last edited by tbessie; Mar 8, 2017 at 11:22 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:31 am

If I book an Economy saver and then purchase the economy essentials package (cheaper then just buying e plus seats) and then waitlist for a business saver award.. if the business award goes through will I get a refund on the package?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by vtbobf
If I book an Economy saver and then purchase the economy essentials package (cheaper then just buying e plus seats) and then waitlist for a business saver award.. if the business award goes through will I get a refund on the package? ...
From the Essentials T&Cs

Refunds for the Economy Plus portion of the package are processed automatically after scheduled departure in the event of flight cancellation or change to a different flight, when travel is completed in a standard United EconomyŽ seat, or when travel is completed in a seat of equal or greater value through the purchase of a premium cabin seating offer. If a Complimentary Premier Upgrade is issued, then the Economy Plus portion of the package is not eligible for a refund.

Customers who are eligible to receive a refund for the Economy Plus portion of the package and who have not received the refund within two billing cycles of their scheduled flight departure can submit a request through united.com using the refund request form.
Also discussed in the FAQs
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Sorry for the basic question - just wanted to confirm... I have a coach fare plus the essential bundle, bag and E+ together. UA is offering me an upgrade to F... I know I would get back the E+ seating, but do I also get the additional bag portion refunded? The terms and conditions/FAQs aren't necessarily clear on the bag refund, only the E+ seating, although I suspect as this is a bundle the whole bundle is refunded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.