FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Economy Plus Essentials and Economy Plus Enhanced Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:22 pm
tbessie

Hey all...

So, I just had a really annoying experience with United. Basically, the below happened (this is the email I sent to United Complaints). This was for a round trip SFO/LHR, purchased with miles, bumped up to Economy Plus with money.

Can anyone tell me if I did anything wrong with this? Or what I can do with regard to United to fix this stupidity? I'm fuming...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1. I bought my ticket back in December 2016 (flight in June 2017), and added Economy Plus, which gave me a 2nd check bag free. I selected exit row/window seat.

2. I logged on to the United site, and was asked to approve an equipment change.

3. I did so, and noticed my seat assignment changed to an aisle seat.

4. I called 4 or 5 times to try to figure out what to do in this situation, and was told I could select a different seat and retain the package I'd bought. I was told that I had been refunded money for the package when I had accepted the equipment change, but I did not see this stated when I accepted the change.

5. I selected a new Economy Plus window seat, and after approving it, my seat selection changed to NO SEAT SELECTED.

6. I called United again, and they said they were giving me my original package and selected seat at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE.

7. Afterwards, I checked, and found that I had my selected seat, but I DID NOT RETAIN MY ORIGINAL PACKAGE (I didn't have a 2nd check bag free). Also, to bump my ticket up to Economy Plus again would cost double what I'd originally paid for it.

8. I called United, and they said there was nothing they could do about this.

9. I asked for a full mileage and cash refund. I was told that I would be charged $100 (or $150, I can't recall) to get the refund!

So... How can this happen, where I chose a package and a seat months ago, my seat was changed, I changed it to another seat in the same section, and lost the package I had initially selected, ALL WHILE BEING INFORMED I COULD RETAIN THE WHOLE PACKAGE? And would be CHARGED to fix it?

This is completely NOT acceptable - from my perspective as a customer, I was promised a certain package, it was changed, and I lost my initial package, all the while being told that I would retain my initial package.

I am VERY dissatisfied, both with these technical glitches, AND with being told false information by your employees.

What can you do to make this right? I've never experienced such incompetence from United before. :-(
Also, they seemed to indicate that I was getting my money back that I'd paid for Economy Plus, but still getting Economy Plus seats, but looking at the flight purchase, it doesn't appear to be so. I don't want to wait around until flight time, only to find I'll need to pay an extra $100 each way for the 2nd checked bag....

I'd like to talk to someone at United who has some kind of power and can help me with this. The supervisor I was put in touch with sounded rather world-weary and was completely unhelpful.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 6, 2017 at 5:54 pm Reason: cleaned up title