Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Check with fee for excess carry-ons coming [UNCONFIRMED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Check with fee for excess carry-ons coming [UNCONFIRMED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1P
One complicating factor for "personal space" items is that those who sit in bulkhead seats have to park their personal items in the overheads. I've often thought that airlines might well consider having designated space for bulkhead pax in the overheads at the front of each cabin. It would solve the problem of gate lice at a stroke.
That is an annoyance, especially in domestic F where if you board late, there can little to no space.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
Exceptions can be good, but if the poster says he travels to conferences (likely others go to the same conferences) and many people are traveling with these, then, if they aren't sitting together, and don't coordinate their tubes, it can have the same impact. If they boarded together and coordinated their tubes, they could monopolize 1 bin and get a massive number of tubes in a single bin, but individually placing 8-10 tubes would likely not be as efficient.
I think his point is that they fit (I'm figuring he's right on this, I've never tried it) on top of compliant bags--the bins aren't the same size all the way across due to the curvature of the airplane.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by jpezaris
In a previous, related thread I made the following argument which I am making here again, on the outside chance that UA Insider (or someone similar) reads through this thread.

I belong to a scientific society that has an annual conference with about 30,000 attendees, held in the US. A significant fraction of these attendees carry poster tubes with them, mostly students and post-docs. Our society is far from the largest, and I have yet to encounter a cabin crew that is not familiar with the needs of storing a poster tube on board, leading me to suspect that a non-trivial amount of UA's business must be from scientists and researchers attending conferences. I see someone carrying a poster tube on about half of my flights, but perhaps I'm more aware of such items than most people.

These poster tubes routinely fit ON TOP of compliant bags and don't prevent anyone from bringing their compliant luggage on board. They also routinely fit in the front closet with whatever more outrageous non-compliant stuff people bring like wedding dresses, guitars, etc.

Poster tubes can't be checked -- being damaged, delayed or lost would be disastrous to the career of the owner. But the issue countering the drumbeat I'm hearing of "if you packed responsibly and played by the rules, you wouldn't have a problem," is that despite occupying about as much volume as a handbag, poster tubes are not sizer-compliant.

So, I'd like to hear a proposal that includes handling exceptions in a reasonable way, rather than the zero-tolerance stance being espoused here.
I frequently check poster tubes (both the cardboard and plastic type) and have never had any problems. I carry engineering drawings but they are of similar size. I hate dealing with the tube in the airport so I check them whenever I can.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jpezaris
They also routinely fit in the front closet with whatever more outrageous non-compliant stuff people bring like wedding dresses, guitars, etc.

Poster tubes can't be checked -- being damaged, delayed or lost would be disastrous to the career of the owner. But the issue countering the drumbeat I'm hearing of "if you packed responsibly and played by the rules, you wouldn't have a problem," is that despite occupying about as much volume as a handbag, poster tubes are not sizer-compliant.

So, I'd like to hear a proposal that includes handling exceptions in a reasonable way, rather than the zero-tolerance stance being espoused here.
I'm one of those evil people who bring a guitar every time I fly. Fairly expensive little devil. But I don't subject the cabin passengers to inconvenience because of my personal needs. I bought a fairly expensive, hard sided, TSA complaint bag. I check my guitar on every flight. It has about 200,000 miles on it. Never a scratch.

I'll bet you could find a reinforced tube that would hold and protect your posters while they are checked.

If you're on a smaller plane where the overhead is "open" on all sides so your poster tube can overlap 2 or more seats I can see how it will work. But in a plane with individual bins then it likely won't fit.

Another alternative is FedEx. Another alternative is UPS store and print your posters on site when you arrive. You have lots of options.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Another alternative is FedEx. Another alternative is UPS store and print your posters on site when you arrive. You have lots of options.
I don't know why more people don't do this. I often have materials sent via FedEx to my hotel or a local office...and in absence of that, they will hold it for you at the FedEx location too. I hate lugging that stuff around airports.

Printing, on the other hand, can be quite expensive. I use that for an emergency only, and pray the expense gets reimbursed (it always has, but not without a tongue-lashing).
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 1P
I've often thought that airlines might well consider having designated space for bulkhead pax in the overheads at the front of each cabin. It would solve the problem of gate lice at a stroke.
United does this by designating that space with the FAs' bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.