Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Check with fee for excess carry-ons coming [UNCONFIRMED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Check with fee for excess carry-ons coming [UNCONFIRMED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
UA once tried to get size enforced by the TSA (at least 2 dimensions, putting a blocker in front of the xray machine). It got sued by another airline that shared the terminal and had more generous provisions, and lost.
Uh, well, I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that the airline which sued was Continental! So that wouldn't be a factor now.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Uh, well, I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that the airline which sued was Continental! So that wouldn't be a factor now.
That one was Continental. But today, Jet Blue has a larger size limit, so wherever they're accessible airside can't enforce smaller limits.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
And it was Delta they sued. It was at LAX T-5 and 6, I nearly ripped one off the machine once, when the lock on my bag got caught on it. But it wasn't TSA then, as it didn't exist.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pgppetch
Heard this from a United EWR "concierge" type service worker who is normally assigned to VIPs and high government offices and who is very well informed: United plans to combat excess carry on, so prevalent since the advent of checked baggage fees, in a lucrative and possible punitory way. Gate check will now require payment of the appropriate checked bag fee for a given passenger. Bag tag printers are being installed at gates to speed the process. If you manage to get an oversize carry on or in excess of the 2 permitted, be ready to be required to gate check in order to board AND pay the checked bag fee applicable to your frequent flyer status, or lack there of, and class of service and/or ultimate destination and the bag allowance granted and possibly already used at the landside bag drop. I am not positive they will use the exact same rates as checking at the landside kiosks but I could not if they are going to all the trouble and expense of gate side bag tag printers, it seems unlikely they would offer a lower gate check fee.

I am sure the gate agents will receive much venting particularly from infrequent flyers and the scammers who knew how to get around the rules and board with excess but the agents will be required to enforce carry on policy and I suspect much more challenging to "put the carry on in the sizer unit". Thank goodness they have never gotten into severely restricting carry on weight as is done on other continents!

Be prepared to be compliant or be prepared to gate check and PAY!
Please, please, please, please, please, please, PLEASE let this be true. Stop the games that some people pay trying to get around the checked bag fees or trying to save 3 1/2 minutes collecting their bags by trying to drag pianos and truck engines onto the plane as cabin bags.

Yes, it will take some getting used to and we'll see more than one DYKWIA screaming about his "status". But after time and people learn they aren't going to get away with it the whole boarding process will work a ton better.

Of course, the odds of this actually happening are about 1 in I-can't-think-of-a-number-big-enough.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by transportbiz
And it was Delta they sued. It was at LAX T-5 and 6, I nearly ripped one off the machine once, when the lock on my bag got caught on it. But it wasn't TSA then, as it didn't exist.
CO sued UA over baggage sizers at IAD in 2000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/04/25/bu...ag-limits.html
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: 1K
From my perspective, this is a much-needed change. The size of many carry-on bags that people are trying to get on planes is ridiculous. It does, of course, depend on the plane. To me, there is always ample space available on 777's (and the "obnoxious" bags are perfectly OK). I'm not sure what the situation is in Y. However, try to get the same bags on a ERJ-175 is ludicrous.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I would be quite surprised if UA starts enforcing baggage size limits strictly. It would take a lot of effort to enforce and would lead to a lack of customer goodwill - UA is not an ULCC and should not act like one.

That said, for passengers who have too many carryons or bags that are patently too big (don't fit in the bins), I think UA would be smart to charge the checked bag fee.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:01 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I said I'd measure the sizers...they appear (at least for bigger item) to be 1 inch larger in each of the 3 dimensions than the maximum published size.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
CO sued UA over baggage sizers at IAD in 2000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/04/25/bu...ag-limits.html
They also sued Delta over SAN (in 1998).
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
About time. Just yesterday I sat in F with a bag under my feet since multiple 3 bagged people did a flanking maneuver and cut me off in the boarding group 1 lane. Sick and tired of it.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by milepig
About time. Just yesterday I sat in F with a bag under my feet since multiple 3 bagged people did a flanking maneuver and cut me off in the boarding group 1 lane. Sick and tired of it.
How did you get cut off?

On the elites abusing the bag size, the F cabins usually have the best use of space with bags east-west and not north-south. I've never seen someone in F or BG1 not get their bag into the bins and almost always the right way. Maybe they are bigger than the sizer, but they are fitting in the bins, which is the true test.

tchiowa
Stop the games that some people pay trying to get around the checked bag fees or trying to save 3 1/2 minutes collecting their bags by trying to drag pianos and truck engines onto the plane as cabin bags.
210 seconds to get your bag? Seriously? Maybe if you are in the last row on the plane. I'm in my rental car before most people are getting their bags. Multiply that by 40-50 trips and you are talking a serious amount of time
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PushingTin
210 seconds to get your bag? Seriously? Maybe if you are in the last row on the plane. I'm in my rental car before most people are getting their bags. Multiply that by 40-50 trips and you are talking a serious amount of time
+1

On the unfortunate occasions where I have to check a bag with UA, I can't remember the last time I didn't wait 25+ minutes. And that's with priority tags.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All you people who refuse to check bags, I have no problem with that as long as you are conforming to the number and size of your carry ons. You are not the problem. It is the people who have too many carry ons and/or carry ons that are too big. That is what this thread is about, not you not checking bags and how fast you can get to your rental car/home/whatever. If you have too many or your carry on is too big, check the extra bags/check the oversize bag. If people can't comply they will just have to wait for their bag at baggage claim. And if the elites that abuse the policy have to pay or have to wait for their bag at baggage claim, then maybe they will comply with number and/or size in the future.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm sure it's been asked already, but I don't remember the answer. Why can't bags be gate checked like they are for UAEX planes? If you knew you were going to get your bag back at the gate, you'd be more likely to agree to gate check it. There's already a space set aside for strollers and a process to have them brought up to the jetway.

Granted, some airports take a long time getting those bags up to the jetway, so that process would have to be revamped. It shouldn't be a problem, since the total number of bags checked won't change, it's just that those that cleared Security wouldn't require a trip to Baggage Claim plus a long wait.

And if you're GS/1K, you'll have the yellow baggage handle, which should mean your bag would be delivered among the first.

This probably wouldn't affect most early boarding elites who would still want their bag accessible, but it would be a help to those arriving late to the gate.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
What about people who travel without credit cards or cash? Tons of college and high school kids have no money when they travel. I can see bags starting to pile up near gates because people will not have the funds to pay.
What do those people do about checking an actual bag?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.